PDA

View Full Version : T3 NCL to MAN

Britannia
28th Apr 2004, 06:43
Would this route work? It worked for Gill, I say bring back the route.

Flightmapping
28th Apr 2004, 10:23
Is the distance really long enough? Agreed, trains not good (2hr 40 - nothing direct), but I would imagine most people would drive that. NCL to CWL would makes more sense, but didn't Air Wales had quite a few problems getting that off the ground?

aeulad
28th Apr 2004, 10:49
There are direct non-change trains from Newcastle to Manchester, and Air Wales still operate the Cardiff-Newcastle route! :} There is certainly not a big enough market for 2 carriers on this route.

Regards

Mike

expedite_climb
28th Apr 2004, 10:57
Allow :

30 minutes to get to airport & park etc

1 hour for check in.

45 minutes (block to block) for the flight

30 minutes to get transport and into city centre / destination.

= 2 hours 45 mins. Even though I've perhaps been generous on the timings, it's just as quick to drive.

Time to spare.... go by air!

aeulad
28th Apr 2004, 11:01
I am surprised Eastern have not launched ABZ-BRS/CWL services, I know it would be a pretty lengthy sector, but if the route was to be ABZ-BRS-CWL, the traffic levels would surely warrant an ERJ, therefore shortening flight times from around 1.50 to 1.20.

Regards

Mike

crewboi83
28th Apr 2004, 21:58
Air Wales do Op NCL-CWL... I think the NCL-MAN would work.... maybe just 2 rotations a day but would work.... the average booked figure on the eastern airways flights is about 10-20 anyway

anyway KLM Cityhopper operate internal flights in Holland where the flight time is online like 20-30 mins

Flightmapping
28th Apr 2004, 23:16
But surely these are feeders for onward connections? Why would anyone want to fly from Groningen to get to Amsterdam city centre, when the train would be much quicker (and reliable).

The connections are already available from NCL via LGW, LHR and of course CDG & AMS, so adding MAN wouldn't offer that much more, especially as so many of MAN's flights are feeders for LHR anyway.

Britannia
29th Apr 2004, 06:55
Have you see the price for 3 to go down to Heathrow or Gatwick from Newcastle with BA :yuk: :yuk: :hmm: :hmm: :sad: :sad: :{ :{

10 DME ARC
29th Apr 2004, 07:43
Brit
£58 each is the cheapest fare return with BA to LHR or LGW.

Thats not bad for a full cost airline. The passenger numbers travelling would suggest its worth it.

crewboi83
29th Apr 2004, 13:42
its like easyjet tho, they sell a certain amount of tickets at that price then the rest are quite expensive sometimes. For example ive commuted to LHR/LGW a few times for work and if u book under 48hrs from the time of departure you can pay £180 ONE WAY!! NO CHANGES NO CANCELLATIONS thats stupid, when BMI will still sell you a ticket the day before for the normal fares, ive flown BMI a few times MME - LHR for £47 return when ba was saying £180 one way! PLUS BMI let you do changes to your ticket for £25 per change per sector!!

Britannia
29th Apr 2004, 15:47
£58 each is the cheapest fare return with BA to LHR or LGW.

Times three then add the cost's to fly to MAN, we don't have that kind of money

johnwalton
29th Apr 2004, 21:51
BMI will still sell you a ticket the day before for the normal fares, ive flown BMI a few times MME - LHR for £47 return when ba was saying £180 one way!

Maybe BA can afford to charge more because load factors are better/ (business) people will pay £180 one-way. Its not bad considering the train to Kings Cross is about £90 booking 48 hours in advance.

I just did a search on tomorrow's flights to London, the cheapest BA fare NCL-LHR was £67 (though admittedly most of the flights were coming up £145) and the cheapest MME-LHR with BMI was £117 (again highest £145)... so it really depends on the day in question more than anything else.

In relation to the topic, there is an old(ish) thread about the possibility of a MAN-NCL here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99545).

World Traveller
1st May 2004, 18:26
"It worked for Gill"

???? Did it? perhaps in a dirt cheap 330. With subsidy. Often subbed to a GAT Be200 or PA-31! Route was farmed off to european in a J31 who subsequently went bust.

As above, all the possible connections thru MAN are available as same-airline connections thru LHR/LGW/AMS/CDG

WT