PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar may never get off the ground

vortsa
27th Apr 2004, 23:05
Interesting article, especially last paragraph.

"Wire services
El Universal
Miércoles 21 de abril de 2004 "

"GUADALAJARA A unique airplane-limousine was taken for a test drive on the streets of this western city, turning the heads of hundreds of people in the process.

The wingless vehicle, made from a portion of a Boeing 727100 and converted for limo service by Limousines de Guadalajara Vaca Meters, was driven some 20 kilometers (12 miles) Monday night along the city's main thoroughfares.

The 18-meter (59-foot) long, 3.9-meter (12.8foot) high craft "took off" from the eastern part of Guadalajara toward downtown on a "shakedown flight" to confirm its load capacity. The vehicle was driven by one of its creators, Martin Vaca.

"We're surprised at the way it handles. People just have to get used to seeing it drive around," Vaca, also the manager of the limousine company, told EFE.

Soon after hitting the streets, the former airplane began attracting the attention of passersby.

Truck and car drivers, motorcyclists, windshield washers, vendors, entire families, students and pedestrians could not believe their eyes.

One police officer stopped the vehicle, telling the driver "the transportation department must issue a special permit because the craft is a modified vehicle."

The limousine company said these problems would be resolved this week.

One teacher who saw the plane said "it impressed me because the first thing I thought was that it had to be an accident, a forced landing."

The aircraft-turned-luxuryautomobile is equipped with air conditioning, a television set, DVD, stereo, strobe lights, a dance floor and a "romantic" spot for couples at the back.

The vehicle will be available to the public in May at a cost of approximately 10,000 pesos (US909) for a three-hour ride.

Vaca Meters plans to launch its second land-bound plane a Jet Star measuring 20 meters (66 feet) in length and nearly 3.9 meters (12.8 feet) in height within two months."

Reginal
28th Apr 2004, 00:19
Perhaps some entrepreneur might see the potential in buying my idle aircraft and starting a bus company.

proplever
28th Apr 2004, 03:13
Aaawwww, thats not fair, vortsa. I thought you were serious.:} :mad: :ok: :E

Specnut727
28th Apr 2004, 09:26
Last time I saw some all white B717's they still had wings !!!

Reginal
28th Apr 2004, 23:18
Last Update: Saturday, April 17, 2004. 12:51pm (AEST)

Airliner turns white liner on Mexican roads

A limosine company based in Mexico has come up with what it thinks is the ultimate luxury car - a converted Boeing 727 passenger plane.

The company has taken the wings off the Boeing and turned it into a big deisel-powered car, capable of whizzing 50 people along the highway, at up to 200 kilometres an hour.

From next month, anyone with a spare $1,500 will be able to book a three hour trip in the converted 727, taking advantage of its dance club, bar and lounge - and hope it does not hit any pot-holes.

"We had to make a superhuman effort to bring the plane's parts here," said Martin Vaca, the limousine company's owner.

"The trip was very difficult."

Sixty people worked on the plane's transformation for three months.

The six-tonne plane is 18 metres long and 3.9 metres high. It has a six-cylinder, turbocharged diesel engine in the back and air brakes and suspension.

The interior is decked with neon strobe lights and audio and video systems.

Passengers can boogie on a dance floor, make a pit stop at a bar or retire to a "romantic" space in the back of the aircraft-turned-luxury-automobile.

Outside, the wingless plane still has its 30 portholes, but passengers looking out the windows will be admiring asphalt instead of white clouds.

--AFP