PDA

View Full Version : Dissertation Topic!

Drap-air
27th Apr 2004, 17:32
Any of you big 'Air Types' got any good ideas for a dissertation topic ? ? ?

All ideas will be considered! (its got to that desperation stage)

Does anyone actually need something researched / analysed?? will be happy to help!

Please Help!

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Ozzy
27th Apr 2004, 18:05
Hey, FFP (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=128171) could use some help.

Ozzy

Drap-air
28th Apr 2004, 07:15
Can anyone help??

buffy747
28th Apr 2004, 08:02
What are you studying, or does the subject not matter ?

Buffy

AerBabe
28th Apr 2004, 08:10
How about analysing the marine cyanophage S-PM2?

NinjaBill
28th Apr 2004, 08:46
How about a study into where all the odd socks go..

Drap-air
28th Apr 2004, 08:48
Transport & Logistics Management - Main interest is Air Transport

Lukeafb1
28th Apr 2004, 10:28
Sounds like marine cyanophage S-PM2, would be a good subject then!:rolleyes:

Stockpicker
28th Apr 2004, 10:38
Changes in economic efficiences in airfreight management: a study of the impact of long-term airline trends on the viability of airfreight over other forms of transport, with particular focus on the Far East market.

Let me know if you need woken up.

Drap-air
28th Apr 2004, 11:02
interesting topic

EGPFlyer
28th Apr 2004, 11:19
The dielectrical analysis of foodborne pathogens and spoilage micro-organisms.

It worked for me!

Ozzy
28th Apr 2004, 11:24
The traveling salesman problem applied to regionally distinct hub and spoke distribution configurations as measured by fuel efficiency and the minimization of aircraft turnaround time and maximum utilization factor.:8 :8

Answer in less than 1500 words please. Extra points for leather bound hardcover.

Ozzy

Drap-air
28th Apr 2004, 11:36
I have had an idea put to me, A critical analysis of security at UK Airports! Could be fun!!

:ok:

fishtits
28th Apr 2004, 11:50
:rolleyes:

Doubt it mate......

Ozzy
28th Apr 2004, 11:55
A critical analysis of security at UK Airports! Wimp!;)

Ozzy

Drap-air
28th Apr 2004, 11:59
WIMP

y so?

Ozzy
28th Apr 2004, 12:03
Taking the easy way out, going for the security thingy instead of the much more difficult traveling salesman problem blah blah blah. :8 :ok: :E

Ozzy

Drap-air
28th Apr 2004, 12:08
travelling salesman & Chinese postman problems! hmmmm

:zzz: :zzz: :zzz: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

oh - Do i get a free trip to CA to do research!?

DistantRumble
28th Apr 2004, 12:18
With apologies to rec.humor.funny :

A fundamental question in the graduate computer science curriculum can be posed as follows: Given an average grad student doing a Ph.D, will the student ever complete his dissertation? This problem has been termed the "Halting Problem," and it has been an open problem thus far. In the following, we show that the halting problem is solvable. Furthermore, the problem can be solved within the time stipulated by the Graduate College for Ph.Ds or, in the worst case, with only a constant number of petitions for extensions.

The halting problem was first formulated by Alan Turing, who observed a number of his graduate students being apparently busy all the time but never graduating. Turing tried to solve the problem by first stopping all assistantships after the sixth year and then by purging all games from the research computers. Needless to say, his efforts were fruitless. Later, Church almost succeeded in solving the problem when he placed notices in grad students' mailboxes indicating attractive jobs in industry with several orders of magnitude higher remuneration. The so called Church's thesis was that the halting problem is solvable, given enough financial motivation. Church's idea backfired when grads found out that they have to actually work to earn money in the outside world. Thus, far from solving the halting problem, Church aggravated it (After this, we are not sure whether Church himself graduated). Recently, Cook et al have shown that the halting problem falls under a new complexity class, "NP Hairy." (NP hairy is the class of hopelessly complicated problems with no known solutions. The hardest problem in NP hairy has been shown to be the problem of trying to claim standard deductions in the 1040 form).

In the following, we show that the halting problem is indeed solvable. For this, we assume the existence of a "Super Grad," who is capable of working in any area in CS (except possibly numerical analysis). For notational convenience, we call this super grad, S sub G sup i,j sub * (written using a funky theoretical CS font). The property of Super grad is that, given the description of any grad (mostly in terms of the number of newsfiles he/she reads every day) and a description of his/her thesis topic, Super grad will either halt with a dissertation or keep publishing technical reports indefinitely. Now, we give Super grad a description of himself and his own thesis topic. If Super grad halts, we are done (and so is he) otherwise we get a stream of technical reports. But by the "fundamental research theorem" of CS Departments (refer to the graduate study manual) any five arbitrary technical reports on unrelated topics can be compiled into a Ph.D thesis. Thus, we are done in the second case too.

Finally, how long does it take for a dissertation to be completed? The time is either less than or equal to the duration allowed by the Grad College for the completion of a Ph.D or it is greater. In the latter case, infinite number of petitions can be filed for extensions. Since the Grad College never remembers previous petitions, the total number of petitions received by the Grad College is always one, a small constant. (QED)

AerBabe
28th Apr 2004, 12:23
There is, of course, no guarantee that if you do complete your dissertation, they will pass you. :{ :{ :{ :{ :{

Drap-air
28th Apr 2004, 12:58
er thanks DistantRumble....

:confused:

buffy747
28th Apr 2004, 13:14
What are you studying, or does the subject not matter ?

Buffy

Drap-air
28th Apr 2004, 13:22
Once again - Transport & Logistics Management

And for the benefit of those with flash photography - Transport & Logistics Management

lasernigel
28th Apr 2004, 14:03
Does that mean Bus timetables and whether to put an extra one on at rush hour?

Stockpicker
28th Apr 2004, 15:09
How about this one?

"Chicken or Egg; If You Build It, Will They Come? An Evaluation of Capacity Expansion Decisions in the global aviation and airports industries".

Bre901
28th Apr 2004, 15:31
Ozzy

Were you thinking of this kind of WIMP (http://zebu.uoregon.edu/~soper/Mass/WIMPS.html) ?

More thanks to Google (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Weakly.interacting.massive.particles&btnG=Google+Search)

Taildragger55
28th Apr 2004, 15:36
How about:

"Declining productivity in the aviation industry; how time lost through PPRuNe browsing devastated an entire industry."

Drap-air
28th Apr 2004, 17:28
Chicken or egg (http://www.improb.com/airchives/paperair/volume9/v9i4/chicken_egg.html)

this anwsers chicken and egg question

fishtits
28th Apr 2004, 17:28
Drap-Air, sorry to be serious for a moment but:

"Potential of 21st century Helium filled Airships on the world logistics industry"

The New Air Freight

Make room for the hybrids. Lighter-than-air crafts (LATs) are giant airships filled with helium gas. The helium (an inert gas) creates enough static lift to displace the weight of the cargo leaving only the weight of the craft to the dynamic lift—the wings.

With payloads measured in the thousands of tons, conservative cruising speeds of 150mph at 10,000 feet, and engineering that meets the needs of air freight—not tourists—these new monsters of the sky will glide smoothly and quietly in to take over the industry.

These hybrid static/dynamic lift behemoths will be the coveted third solution: cheaper than a jet and faster than a boat.

Now THAT could be interesting!

Best of luck.

FT:ok:

Drap-air
28th Apr 2004, 17:41
Thanks FishTits, thats very interesting :)

Slow-Rider
28th Apr 2004, 17:45
You might as well do a study on caffiene's effect on your dissertation's quality because trust me, one way or another, you'll find out!

Mine currently reads like total stranger wrote it, but in places I guess, they did! (must cite references)

Drap-air
28th Apr 2004, 18:35
i have managed to get this far without doing any work! long live nescafe, it is responsible for my good grades