PDA

View Full Version : JAR CPL - Do I need a JAR PPL?

thobson
27th Apr 2004, 15:25
Hi,

In order to get a CPL (via the modular route) I understand that I need a PPL, night rating, 150 hours P1 and ATPL exam passes. Am I correct?

Also is there a requirement for the PPL to be a JAR ppl. I was thinking of getting an FAA PPL, then doing some hour building in the US. Would I need to convert this to a JAR PPL then apply for the CPL, or can I go straight from a FAA PPL to a JAR CPL (assuming I pass the skills tests etc !!)

Thanks for any advice

Toby

silverknapper
27th Apr 2004, 15:32
As far as I know you only need an ICAO PPL. The night rating can be done as part of the CPL course.

Penworth
27th Apr 2004, 15:53
Silverknappper is correct, you only need an ICAO PPL, it doesn't necessarily have to be a JAA one. The 150 hours you need to start the course don't have to be P1 (after all, you only need 100 hours P1 for licence issue!)

Have a look in Lasors on the CAA website - all the info you could possibly need is there.

Cheers
PW

thobson
27th Apr 2004, 21:42
Thanks for all you help guys, will have a look at LASORS

Toby

Irv
28th Apr 2004, 09:15
Strangely enough, I had someone last year with a SA PPL and they came to me for a JAA PPL Conversion before starting an ATPL ground/CPL flight course with a well known provider.
When I pointed out that conversion was not necessary and he shouldn't waste his money, (yes, I do that!), he said he knew it wasn't technically necesasry, but he'd been offered a big discount for starting the course with a JAA PPL - enough to make it worthwhile spending the few hundred to take the 2 ground exams, hire a plane and take a JAA PPL test, and convert.
He passed all the requirements first time, and went away happy and claimed his course discount! (and is doing well I hear).

What to do?
28th Apr 2004, 13:21
Hi chaps

If I got an FAA PPL, what would it take to convert it to JAA? I hear that you can fly here with an FAA licence, if you do a trial flight at your local club? IS it also true that if you get 100hrs there, you can then convert it to JAA?

Sorry to change the subject slightly, but I've been wondering about it for a while, and I'm going to the US in a month with a couple of training options.

Cheers

onehunga
28th Apr 2004, 13:30
Pretty much what Irv said above. Different rules depending on whether you have less than or more than 100 hours. You can also check out his website which has a useful Q&A if neeed.

Lasors can be downloaded at:-

Lasors 2004 (http://www.caa.co.uk/publications/publicationdetails.asp?id=1191)

Questions you need to ask though are:

- why convert if I plan on training for professional licences?

- can I get access to a "N" registered aircraft where I intend to fly or hour build - in which case why get a JAA ppl

Irv
29th Apr 2004, 09:52
You can also check out his website which has a useful Q&A if neeed.
I've also pm'd "what to do" with my UK-SA version of the FAQ too, as that specifically covers 'foreign' PPLs in the UK (it happens to be aimed at SA in the UK, but same applies to FAA, NZ, OZ etc)