PDA

View Full Version : BBMF info

Groundbased
27th Apr 2004, 12:44
A quick request for some info.

A colleague of mine mentioned to me that he passed a BBMF museum just outside Dover recently.

I can only find mention of Coningsby on the website. Could anyone tell me if there is indeed a BBMF museum near Dover?

Many thanks.

treadigraph
27th Apr 2004, 13:01
There's a memorial to the Battle of Britain Pilots at Capel le Ferne, close to Folkstone where the M20 becomes the A20 again... Big prop carved in the chalk face if I remember...

BeauMan
27th Apr 2004, 19:07
There is also now a Hawker Hurricane replica there. And a very peaceful place it is too, especially on a summer's evening as you stand next to the statue of the member of The Few, staring vigilantly out over the Channel for a wave of enemy bombers which thankfully will never come.

Lest we forget.

JDK
28th Apr 2004, 12:48
Good 'ol terminology confustion one.

There is only one Battle of Britain Memorial Flight the 'owners' of the BBMF acronym - and indeed based at Conningsby, and coming to airshows across the UK with the Spitfires, Hurricanes and Lancaster.

There are any number of Battle of Britain memorials, museums, monuments etc - most of which are very good, and most of which are in S.E. England for very obvious reasons!

Cheers

JamesK

WebPilot
28th Apr 2004, 16:26
The Hawkinge BoB museum isn't a million miles away from Dover either...