PDA

View Full Version : Certificates

SeldomFixit
27th Apr 2004, 10:15
Certificates - the little padlock jobbies one sees on "secure" sites such as your internet banking. There is an option to install the certificate when viewed.
Would one of the annointed mind telling me a little more about certificates in general and their handling in particular ?

Thanks, as always chaps :)

Saab Dastard
27th Apr 2004, 11:59
SFI,

I suggest you have a look at the following links to Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/ie/6/all/reskit/en-us/part2/c06ie6rk.mspx) and Netscape (http://developer.netscape.com/docs/manuals/security/pkin/index.html) .

Basically, the certificate you are viewing by double clicking the padlock is confirming the identity of the server you are communicating with and you are reasonably sure of a secure transaction with that server.

You shouldn't need to install the certificate, as all the common root certification authorities (e.g. Verisign) are already installed by default with the browser.

You would only need to install the certificate if it was issued by a root authority not generally available to the public (Large companies or organisations might make themselves root authorities).

HTH

SD

SeldomFixit
28th Apr 2004, 04:21
Thank you Saab - concise and edible.

Saab Dastard
28th Apr 2004, 17:03
You're welcome

Since I do this for a living, it's hard to know where to start and when to stop!

SD

amanoffewwords
28th Apr 2004, 17:08
I'm always amazed how the like of Verisign & co can charge serious £££s for their certificates yet you can get exactly the same thing for £s from alternative, smaller, providers. Or at least it appears to be the same thing/achieves the same aim. I got mine from Comodo for $49 for example, verisign charges (if I remember correctly 'cause I nearly fainted at the time) in excess of £500 for the same thing

Is it just a marketing/image thing I wonder that leads big companies to go for the big names or have they got money to burn?:confused:

C.