PDA

View Full Version : Coventry wins prize in beauty comp.

AerBabe
22nd Aug 2001, 16:13
Yes, our fair city came in the top 5 of the 'Ugliest Places in Britain' awards, according to the local news last night :eek: . Can't we get the Germans to come back and finish the job properly? :rolleyes:

tony draper
22nd Aug 2001, 16:29
Someone from the UK just won the World Air Guitar, championship, jezus wept what is to become of us,one time we went out and discovered Gravity or penicillin, or invented the Jet Engine and radar. :(

Tricky Woo
22nd Aug 2001, 17:00
Interested to know which four places were in the same the ugly-stick league as Coventry.

TW

You want it when?
22nd Aug 2001, 17:22
I'd guess...

Coventry
Swindon
Birmingham
Fochabers
And...
Elstree

Any other suggestions?

[ 22 August 2001: Message edited by: You want it when? ]

angels
22nd Aug 2001, 17:35
Slough ('Oh come friendly bombs....')
Tilbury
Croydon (I'm an ex-resident)
Birmingham

These nominations will vary depending on my alcohol intake.

tony draper
22nd Aug 2001, 18:23
Don't understand why we wasted millions in tax payer's money making our lads traipse all the way out to Australia to test our nukes,
There's perfectly good place called Sunderland,they could have used. ;)

Evanelpus
22nd Aug 2001, 19:40
You are all complete bastards, how dare you slag off my home town.

Why I'll have you know that Coventry is famous for....., em I mean there's some great places in Cov such as....., doh well we have some famous people who come from Cov they are??????

Oh crap, it is a shithole which is why I moved away from there 20 years ago. If it wasn't for my parents and best mate I wouldn't go there for all the tea in China.

Good luck to all attending the Coventry Gat Bash, take your passport and vaccination details with you.

PilotsPal
22nd Aug 2001, 20:25
This has been running on R4's Today programme over the past few days. Six of the Best and Least Loved Buildings in Britain, I think it was.

Among the least loved were Buckingham Palace, the Tricorn Centre, the National Theatre, Coventry, and I forget the other.

Among the best loved was the National Theatre(!), and again all the others escape me.

The Mistress
22nd Aug 2001, 20:34
The Specials were spot on with their Ghost Town ditty. Some of them went to King Henry's in Coventry, as did Harvey of Harvey & The Wallbangers and Omar Ibrahim who is an Opera singer. We won't mention the football team though!

FlyingForFun
22nd Aug 2001, 21:12
Have to disagree here. Some of the finest motor cars ever came out of the Triumph factory in Coventry, and that's sufficient to make up for any lack of aesthetics which the town currently suffers from imho.

FFF
------------

EGGD
22nd Aug 2001, 21:28
Worst Building is in Portsmouth, beleive dat!

tony draper
22nd Aug 2001, 22:44
My brother had a Triumph Stag,lovely looking piece of kit, cherry red , roll bar, soft top ect, sometimes it used to go a whole hundred yards before it broke down. ;)
Always fancied a Triumph Tiger Cub, when I was a sprog,
well it was a long time ago. ;)

Flypuppy
22nd Aug 2001, 23:24
Ahhh, dear sweet Coventry. Strangely I am not surprised it was awarded Ugliest City. Maybe if they had more nekkid birds riding on horses through the city center that would cheer things up a bit. :D

Roofus
23rd Aug 2001, 01:34
ABI can only assume that you weren't in town that day! :D ;) :rolleyes:

MikeSamuel
23rd Aug 2001, 02:01
Re: Ghost Town - They were right, and I think the council realise it too...THey've fitted speakers in the Precinct, and when I was there the other day they were playing that very song - OK - Cov is bad, but they don't have to rub it in!!!!

G-SCUD
23rd Aug 2001, 03:20
Er... wasn't that nice Mr Whittle something to do with Coventry?

touch&go
23rd Aug 2001, 03:24
When I was at school many moon's ago, they use to say 'you'll get sent to Coventry' ie no one would talk to you.........whats all that about.....no one talks to each other in Coventry....or is Coventry a different planet?

Tricky Woo
23rd Aug 2001, 05:28
I was far too popular to ever find out.

TW

AerBabe
23rd Aug 2001, 13:56
Am I the only person who actually made a conscious decision to move here... and stay here?!

Mycroft
24th Aug 2001, 02:09
When the Tricorn Centre in Portsmouth was built it was voted both the best and worst building of the year. It has now been empty for several years and is due to be demolished soon. Unfortunately as it is a large lump of concrete it will be more expensive than any possible building site is worth, unless they also rebuild most of the rest of Portsmouth (they managed last week to flood most of the shopping centre adjoining it, ironically called the Cascades Centre)
During the Civil War Coventry was captured by one of the sides (can't remember which), but the locals remained supporters of the opposition and refused to talk to the occupying army and it was therefore considered a very poor posting.
Also don't forget that Redsnail, Flypuppy and Nearly Man are currently resident there (and Coventry is soon to be bashed)

Fingerbang
24th Aug 2001, 02:18
Airbabe,
Some people are paying to stay in Coventry,including myself, Flypuppy, Nearly Man and Redsnail. We all think it is a wonderful place full of award winning architecture and the six fingered locals are really quite quaint. When is open season so we can bag a few of them? :D

redsnail
24th Aug 2001, 23:28
Gees I saw some classic examples today of "two baggers". Scary. Fotunately, they had found a like featured partner so the rest of us are safe. Unfortunately, they might now breed! :eek:
One month to go :D

MikeSamuel
25th Aug 2001, 02:14
:( - I'm a local :D At least the rest of you can move away :(
And if anyone's wondering, yes, it really is as bad as it sounds......

rover2701
25th Aug 2001, 14:28
At least they make the worlds best looking cars there. 'Jaguar'XJ8,XKR. 2 of the best and most desirable cars in the world.
I would marry an XKR if it would have me.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

JB007
26th Aug 2001, 02:19
Someone should mention this website to Cov County Council...

Cov hasn't had so much publicity since a certain number of PPRuNer's moved in.....ok. so it's not all good but it's a start!!!

Edited cos that last glass of w ine has effe cted my eyboard scills!

[ 25 August 2001: Message edited by: JB007 ]

redsnail
26th Aug 2001, 02:45
We do our best.
I wonder if the Old Mill will give us a discount? ;)

TheSilverFox
27th Aug 2001, 01:36
As somebody that was born & bred in Coventry (Hillfields),I would like to say something in it's defence!

I,d like to, but I can't!!!

Get out now while you still can!!!

I'll bet that you guys that are up ther training don't pop into my old neck of the woods very often for a few beers! You should try it some time, you might be surprised!!!

AerBabe
28th Aug 2001, 04:10
I lived there for less than 12 months, but the nightmares just won't go away :( And I still have to work there *sobs quietly into keyboard*

MikeSamuel
28th Aug 2001, 15:02
:) Silver, I've lived here for ever, and I've never popped into Hillfields for a drink :D Not planning to either, wouldn't like to know the kind of surprises that one would be treated to :D

Evanelpus
28th Aug 2001, 15:23
Hillfields is not an area you 'pop into for a drink'

If you want some horizontal dancing lessons with a nightfighter, then that's what Hillfields is all about.

Happy drinking

TheSilverFox
29th Aug 2001, 02:10
Go on guys,take a chance!

Mycroft
30th Aug 2001, 04:21
Just seen the full list of 5 bad places, and also of 5 good places - amongst hated places was Heathrow and most loved included Stansted

Nil nos tremefacit
1st Sep 2001, 05:21
I'm another retired Coventrian (indeed as an old boy of King Henry VIII School I am an Old Coventrian) - I left many years ago and rarely visit the place. What wasn't destroyed by the Hun was wilfully flattened by Coventry City Council (they actually bulldozed more houses than Gerry). I remember 'before the ring road' and there were still a few fine Victorian streets and quaint corners where now there is only concrete. Even as recently as the last 10 years the council did away with a Georgian building on the edge of Broadgate.

Sadly Coventry could have been carefully rebuilt like so many German cities after the war, but instead we have the purpose built dump that we see today. It's almost worth demolishing and starting again, but modern architects will still deliver the building that looks like a dustbin with an old bicycle on top.

Oh Well, sic biscuitus disintegrat.... :rolleyes: