PDA

View Full Version : Real cost of CPL/IR ?

invisiblemoon
26th Apr 2004, 21:20
What are the real cost involved when a FTO advertise for minimum hours to obtain a CPL/IR ?

Is it reasonable for a "pilot" with barely 150 hours to expect finish the whole thing in the advertised budget ?

How much money should i save before comitting to avoid the risk of not being able to achieve the training ?

Tell me about the dark side of the moon when things goes wrong ...

How well did you managed to get through ? And how did your friends ?

boeingbus2002
26th Apr 2004, 22:00
It always seems prudent to add a certain percentage onto costs and timescleas when consdering flying training. This is due to problems with weather, aircraft etc. together with your abilities.
You may find some parts a breeze and sail through, yet some stages may be more challenging and require more training or time to get you head around some concepts.

If you are working out costs in "real" terms, loss of earnings from completing training Full time is always neglected!

Sally Cinnamon
26th Apr 2004, 22:44
Don't forget to budget £25,000 or so for a type rating too. :ok:

Hansard
27th Apr 2004, 06:55
The cost depends on many factors.

If you're an older candidate, it'll take you longer to achieve and therefore cost you more.

If your 150 hours were constructive and challenging, you'll be better prepared than you would be if all your trips were short hops in the local area

Don't underestimate the cost of approach fees (often mentioned only vaguely by the FTO). You wouldn't believe what some airfields charge for a few shots at the ILS.

It's fair to say that an IR is very rarely achieved within the minimum cost/hours/time advertised by an FTO.

invisiblemoon
27th Apr 2004, 07:20
Thanks guys, i appreciate your comments despite the fact that i do not enjoy the prospect of paying for a type rating or any further training behind the IR.

I know that real cost include the lost of earnings and i know the actual market situation as well.

I'm just about to finish atpl so what i really need to know is about the money i need if things turns wrong.

I'm not willing to go into debt for my training and i must have a real clue of money which is really involved.

We frequently hear some numbers like 30%. Is it a "safe" number or not ?

People who got through, please tell us how much money you spend beyond the minimal training ?

High Wing Drifter
27th Apr 2004, 07:33
From the balance sheet I have seen, regardless of what the cost of the IR is advertised at you will end up paying about £12,000 for it. Don't forget the test itself will be virtually £1K. With the CPL and multi you will need around £19,000 in total for the pair assuming things go to plan.

If you're an older candidate, it'll take you longer to achieve and therefore cost you more.
Invalid statement.

invisiblemoon
27th Apr 2004, 07:39
I'm 28 by now and will be 29 when training will begin.

Quit old i'm afraid but definitly not too old.

By now i have to build 50 hours more (40 P1) before flight training next year.

So the best thing i have to do is to build time in a professionnal manner ... not very easy when you're alone in the left seat :rolleyes:

Hufty
27th Apr 2004, 11:21
It is hard to always keep focused when you're hour building, but you can practice a lot of the manoeuvres you'll need to do on your CPL - especially visual navigation. None of the CPL syllabus is anything you haven't done before, you just need to make sure you're very current at it. My CPL school had a different technique for teaching Nav than I was used to, so a few trips getting to grips with it before the course started would have saved me quite a bit of money. If you do your hour building on the same a/c you'll test on it will help too.

On the cost front, I didn't spend much beyond the minimums, although flew an extra sortie on the IR to avoid having a three day window between last trip and test. Also, I went over hours on the CPL (the CAA reduce the minimums to 15 if you have an IR but I was nowhere near ready after 15 hours) which cost more. I spent a lot more on food and accommodation than I expected and spent 8 weeks in a B&B during my multi and IR so the costs add up.

I support HWD's post (especially the comment about age) - £19k with a buffer of around 30% for unexpected problems is a good guide. I spent around £21,000 on the Multi/IR/CPL but went to a more expensive school. I probably spent an additional £180/week on living expenses - sounds a lot, but it didn't get me much. I would need to add on a return ticket to the US too and an MCC. Remember

Doing it all at a school near your home will be a big cost saving.

Hufty

six-sixty
27th Apr 2004, 13:26
Quote: "If you're an older candidate, it'll take you longer to achieve and therefore cost you more."

I was going to ignore this piece of ignorant & inflammatory drivel and pretend it's beneath me to respond... but perhaps my maturity doesn't live up to my stated years.

So Mr Hansard do you want to give us some evidence to justify this statement?