american class A. A school in america which has
a JAA approval is seeking this,just wanted anyone's
thoughts on the matter.

safe flying

mike

BillieBob
26th Apr 2004, 20:43
Appendix 1c to JAR-FCL 1.055 states:

The skill test for the Instrument Rating shall be conducted in the JAA Member State of the approving Authority. FTOs shall make arrangements for the approved course to include acclimatisation flying within the JAA Member State of the approving Authority or any other JAA Member State at the discretion of the approving Authority prior to any student taking the instrument rating skill test with an examiner authorised by the approving Authority.

Answer your question?

MEI
26th Apr 2004, 20:59
Just to add a thought,

US class A starts at Fl 180, not sure what your flying but a bit high for your average flight school test airplane.

mike halls
27th Apr 2004, 00:04
I think the idea is to get the students to do a flight test
in a kingair or greater so then they could do the
flight test at FL180.

Thanks for the replies,

mike

Keygrip
27th Apr 2004, 03:07
Are you talking about initial, renewal or revalidation??

They are all "I/R flight tests".

It makes a difference!!

minus273
27th Apr 2004, 06:32
Hey all

Bit weird this one from my limited understanding of the JAA as stated before the original test has to be done in a JAA member state.

As for doing it in ClassA airspace in the US to get around that limitation I do not see how that would help as ClassA is airspace as stated from 18,000msl to FL600.

It is required to have a clearance to get into ClassA and flights must be conducted under IFR unless prior permission is obtained to operate under VFR in a requested circumstance.

As for the flight test being conducted in ClassA you would have to leave ClassA to do the approaches and even to get into ClassB (The terminal areas for large airports such as DFW,LAX,JFK etc etc)you would have to pass through ClassE or maybe even ClassG(uncontrolled) So you would not be able to conduct the whole flight in ClassA.

Maybe this is not what is being asked but for conducting a flight test in ClassA the only thing it would be good for would be flying along airways.