PDA

View Full Version : Virgin mail

SkidSolo
26th Apr 2004, 18:45
Anyone use Virgin for their email?

I can't receive anymore but can send. The service announcement informs of some migration getting rid of spam and virus attachments that was done a few days ago but it still worked well then but not now.

I've sent them details but no reply. Can anyone give me a heads up?

Rgds
SS

BEagle
26th Apr 2004, 19:20
Yes - I do. Everything is AOK - and they seem to have installed some very capable spam filtering, thank heavens. My mail servers are mail.virgin.net and I haven't had any problems sending mail.

SkidSolo
28th Apr 2004, 20:12
Beagle

Whats your server names?

Incoming pop.virgin.net
Outgoing smtp.virgin.net

I'm sending ok but just wondering about my incoming. I can forward to hotmail so still a bit puzzled by all this.

Is the incoming port number 110?

Ta
SS

amanoffewwords
28th Apr 2004, 20:36
According to my records both servers should be set to mail.virgin.net - my info is correct as of Dec 26 2003 - haven't checked since (and don't use them, just keep the info for my customers).

Charles

stickyb
30th Apr 2004, 21:19
Interesting, I am also having problems getting email through to a virgin.net account. Is there possibly a massive q somewhere?

BEagle
1st May 2004, 06:28
I have 3 different account server settings,:

1. Default - both incoming and outgoing set to mail.virgin.net. Works fine.

2. A second account which I was told to use for WLAN connectivity - but that still doesn't work with Vodafone WLAN in LH lounges, although it works fine elsewhere. It uses pop.virgin.net for the incoming and smtp.virgin.net as the outgoing server.

3. For my Vodafone Mobile Connect card, a third account with mail.virgin.net as the incoming server and send.vodafone.net as the outgoing. Works fine as well.

However, I had an error message yesterday and couldn't receive any e-mail (via port 110). On contacting them, they found some spam blocking the inbox; a few seconds of clicking away at their end and all was resolved.

Same thing happened this morning, similar fix. I suspect that there's some new anti-spam algorithm causing the problem?

It's possible that people without totally virus-free e-mail systems are having messages bounced back by Virgin.net's new anti-spam filters. These are proving to be very effective against the tide of garbage being sent out by spammers.

Dee747
1st May 2004, 11:12
I have been using Virgin mail for about 7 years now with no problems (other than the colossal amount of spam in recent times).

Thanks to their new spam blockers and my own installation of Spam Inspector V4.0, my mail is now reduced from around 70-80 a day to a more manageable and relevant 4-5 per day.

I've had no problems in recent days while Virgin undertook the spam blocker installation, and am very happy with the service, especially now I'm on Virgin broadband.

BEagle
1st May 2004, 14:11
Yes - 3 cheers to Virgin.Net for their anti-spam progress!

I also report any spam which does get through to [email protected] by selecting Properties; Details; Message Source and then maximise the field, copy the entire text into the e-mail and send it off. That will assist them to fine tune their filtering to improve their service yet further!

SkidSolo
1st May 2004, 18:50
Thanks guys. I'm still not getting far or even getting through on the phone.

I'm getting some forwarded to my hotmail account but not all.

GARDENER
1st May 2004, 19:15
I am with Virgin and have no problems.(internet ones, I could bore you with all my other problems should you wish!) Business is done mainly through email receiving c.20 a day and have had no probs.....yet!

SkidSolo
3rd May 2004, 13:34
Just to let you know its resolved.

The problem was with my Norton Antivirus which automatically checked email in and out.

By cancelling it all is back to normal.

CLOSED.