PDA

View Full Version : Groundschool?

ant000
26th Apr 2004, 15:00
Hi

I am interested in finding out people's opinions on when is the best time to study for the atpl exams.

By this i mean at what stage of the training process i.e.

(1) Directly after completing the ppl

(2) After 150 hours have been built up, before cpl training

Or

(3) Whilst hour building for cpl training.

I understand that each of these options has advantages over the other, but which one is the best option?

Im also interested in finding out which option other people chose.

Any advice/ comments much appreciated

Cheers

benhurr
26th Apr 2004, 15:59
I would go for option 3 if distance learning - option 0 (i.e. before PPL) if integrated.

Depends on where you are now - if you have a PPL then I would suggest modular as the most cost-effective, you need to break up the time of study by flying, so hour build as you go. And of course you can be doing an IMC and night rating as part of your hour building, here or Florida wherever you fancy as you study. You cant obviously sit any exams on the modular route until you have a PPL and the search button is third in from the right at the top of your screen.

Sorry I am not being unhelpful but you have given no indication at all to offer advice on what route might be best for you.

Some people decide to become commercial pilots at birth, others after a PPL. Please give us a clue and then we might be able to help

Ben

ant000
26th Apr 2004, 16:07
Sorry about the confusion.

I have not started any form of training yet- im just trying to plan ahead.

Im talking about the atpl via distance learning.

My question refers to the modular route which i intend to follow.

cheers

Frank Furillo
26th Apr 2004, 17:49
I went to Florida and did my PPL and 150Hrs there, in nine weeks flat.
I am currently studining my ATPL's with Bristol Groundschool, and in order to do so i have quit my job and living off my girlfriend for a year or so.

If you are doing modular as I am, I would sugest that you go abroad for for PPL and hour building, as you cannot do all that in the short space of time here in England.

You pays your money and you take your pick
Good Luck
Frank

silverknapper
26th Apr 2004, 21:35
I agree with some of this. By all means go abroad for PPL and some hours - it is cheaper and quicker. But I would then come back and whilst studying plug away at the last 50 or so hours. Things are different here and any saving in hour builing that last 50 may be lost in extra CPL instruction (dual!) time.
That way you are staying current whilst flying.
I let the flying slip a bit whilst studying and now I wish I hadn't.