PDA

View Full Version : Good news - BA recruits again

Wee Weasley Welshman
26th Apr 2004, 14:19
http://www.britishairwaysjobs.co.uk/roledescription.jsp?ID=2494002&MODE=2

The long standing rumour is confirmed - BA are recruiting experienced pilots for direct entry.

Not any use to Wannabes directly but indirectly this will lead to more movement in the UK market which will always filter down to Wannabe first job levels.

Good news for everyone.

Cheers

LIMA OR ALPHA JUNK
26th Apr 2004, 15:03
Excellent news indeed. Lets hope BALPA digs in and protects the final salary scheme for new DEPs.

FlyUK
26th Apr 2004, 15:46
Thought i better add this before people go rushing off to apply:-

Experience Required:
Airbus A320 series type rating with a Frozen ATPL and a minimum of either 100 sectors or 400 hours recent experience on type.
or
Boeing 747-400 or 777 type rating with a valid ATPL and at least 500hrs recent experience on type.

Good luck to all who apply.

Expedite :ok:

Artificial Horizon
26th Apr 2004, 16:52
Great news, as said not much use directly for wannabes but should open up some opportunities further down the food chain once these jobs are filled.

wigwag
26th Apr 2004, 17:12
:ok:

Great news for all wannabes, There is light at the end of the tunnel. Just hang on in there while things filter through and .....

keg167l
27th Apr 2004, 11:18
It is interesting to see that BA want only 'UK issued' JAA/CAA ATP. Does this fly in the face of the 'jointness' of the licence. What would Kurt, Sven, or Pierre think about this? They have the right to live and work in the UK as members of the EU but their German, Swedish, or French licence would not be good enough.

PPRuNeUser0215
27th Apr 2004, 11:41
Not sure Kurt, Sven, or Pierre care that much since they are already in the UK, having trained on the UK syllabus and probably flying for a living.

So those who could be interested didn't wait for JAR to allow them to do it ;).

EGPFlyer
27th Apr 2004, 11:44
Would anyone currently rated on the airbus (unless they have the minimum hours) want to join BA and have 7 or 8 years (or perhaps more, I'm not sure) to command?

I'm not wanting to sound pessimistic but what's the difference between this and any other airline recruiting?

Edited because 1. I can't spell and 2. I was talking a load of crap

ChocksAwayUK
27th Apr 2004, 11:58
Probably the usual reasons of pay and other Ts and Cs.. i suppose. Maybe they'd like to work out of Heathrow or Gatwick or wear a Julien MacDonald designed uniform. There's always a mulitude of reasons for people moving from one airline to another. I'm not sure everyone's only goal is to gain a command as soon as possible.

Edit: Your edit makes my post a bit redundant now... ho hum. :}

And again, cos i said Ts and Ps instead of Ts and Cs...oops

tom24
27th Apr 2004, 12:24
BA FO's apparently earn £40.5 + £8kish per annum, risisng to £90k, so you can be as wealthy as an EJ Captain but without the responsibility. Not too bad a deal i suppose.

PPRuNeUser0215
27th Apr 2004, 13:01
Yeah I think there is more in life than getting a command.... I'd rather enjoy a good lifestyle allowing me some decent holidays, a decent place to live, a decent car and..... a warbird.
So command or no command as long as I can keep it that way, it doesn't bother me.

PS: Hi EGPflyer, what are you up to these days? Long time no see.

scroggs
27th Apr 2004, 13:23
7 or 8 years to command would be regarded as rather quick in BA, Virgin or Britannia! According to the discussions on Rumours and News, and Terms and Endearments, projected time to command in BA is between 15 and 20 years. In Virgin it's around 10 years for new entrants. In Britannia it was around 12 years last time I checked, but perhaps Pilote Pete can advise us on that.

Lifestyle is - or should be - a big issue for all applicants to any job. One of the things you should all make yourselves thoroughly familiar with is how rostering works in your chosen company, and how much time off you get at times when you can use it! BA shorthaul, I understand, is no better than EZ or Ryan when it comes to its record on hard-rules rostering for newbies.

Anyway, none of this should worry you Wannabes yet! But watch these threads (in R&N and T&E) carefully for info on how the job market works, and what people in BA really think about their lot.

Scroggs

PPRuNeUser0215
27th Apr 2004, 13:32
Guys getting a command at Britannia have been in the company for 15 years. Sounds like a lot but the demographic profile is now changing.
Discounting ThomsonFly which allowed the suitably qualified pilots to gain a command with 7 years or less, mainline is likely to come to 8-9 years.
Next year should see the first "faster track;)" pilots going through command courses.

Bucking Bronco
27th Apr 2004, 15:52
From the inside...

When the CRA goes up in Oct 2006 short haul command up to 19 years, 747-400 command 24 years. Also no FSS pension, I wouldn't do it.

If I had the experience that was needed I'd probably join Emirates if command time was a big factor.

Cheers and Good Luck!

rmcfarlane
28th Apr 2004, 13:54
Great to see BA starting the ball rolling again, I heard this as a rumour a while back from a guy at BA, so he is obviously a man of his word.

He also said this would be a knock back effect for ab-initio pilots and wannabe's as it open new paths down the line.

So watch this space, the return of the BA sponsorhip scheme is just behind the horizon!

scroggs
28th Apr 2004, 14:10
It seems unlikely that the BA sponsorship scheme will resume in the form it last existed. If it resumes at all, it is likely to resemble the CTC-McAlpine scheme already running for EasyJet and MYT.

Scroggs

expedite_climb
28th Apr 2004, 15:01
Scroggs,

Me bein' picky but... CTC-McAlpine scheme already running for EasyJet and MYT.
I think you'll find that's Easy & TCX....

scroggs
28th Apr 2004, 18:29
Sorry

:O

no sponsor
29th Apr 2004, 12:24
400 hrs? What happened to the 2500 hrs that used to be the requirement. Lucky requirements for a huge amount of wannabes who've recently purchased type ratings with 100 sectors.

I wonder why the requirements are so low?

scroggs
29th Apr 2004, 14:06
Yes, I wondered about that. I reckon they're hoping for most of their (A320) applicants having rather more hours on the 'Bus than that, and probably at least 1000TT. However, if you're one of those with 600TT including 400 A320, then go for it!

Scroggs

Arrestahook
30th Apr 2004, 11:02
no sponsor,

'400 hrs? What happened to the 2500 hrs that used to be the requirement. Lucky requirements for a huge amount of wannabes who've recently purchased type ratings with 100 sectors'

I agree with the sentiment, but I believe that bought type ratings from the likes of Astreus et al include a maximum of 100 HOURS line training. Significantly different to 100 sectors which equates to nearly 400 hours. (Unless its EZY A319 - 1hr sectors of course).
This requirement I am sure, will count out all those who have 'bought' a rating.
+ and I may be wrong, but I am not sure if any FTO is offering an Airbus rating with line training. Of mates that have recently gone this route they have all been 737 ratings. ???