PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar.

TWOBURNOUT
26th Apr 2004, 10:31
Rumour is that Jetstar will not accept wheel chair passengers or u/ms?This must be discrimination!!:(

Capt Fathom
26th Apr 2004, 11:27
Well...it is only a rumour..?

Wizofoz
26th Apr 2004, 11:47
We don't accept U/Ms here (European Lo Co), all under 16s must be accompanied by an over 16.

We do take Whell chairs, and I doubt very much an airline in Aus could get away with not.

amos2
26th Apr 2004, 11:57
So, tell me Wiz...

wot's a U/Ms and wot's a Whell chair? :confused:

Buster Hyman
26th Apr 2004, 12:57
U/Ms are like swords...you-slash-em! Whell chairs are chairs that aren't sick.

I believe that there'll also be a ban on fat people, sick children, reformed alcoholics, nuns with guitars.... :rolleyes:

Wizofoz
26th Apr 2004, 14:03
amos,

U naccompanied M inor (Actually the subject of this thread, but maybe you didn't have your glasses on).

WHEEL Chair,

Happy now (By the way, it's spelt WHAT not WOT)

ditzyboy
26th Apr 2004, 15:33
From the JQ Website:

"Limited special assistance

Generally we will not allow a person to travel without an Accompanying Passenger unless the person can travel independently, meaning that they can travel safely without assistance, supervision or both. We do not have the systems, staff or facilities required to assume responsibility for such assistance and supervision. Children requiring supervision will not be regarded as able to travel independently on the basis that they may cause a disruption or endanger themselves or others if travelling unaccompanied. However, we do provide limited special assistance services to accommodate customers who need to travel with a guide dog, hearing or mobility dog, customers who require a wheelchair and customers who require two seats for themselves. If you need to use these special services you must make your Booking through the Jetstar Call Centre. Accompanying Passenger means a paying passenger who, in our reasonable opinion, can travel independently and is able to and will provide the appropriate assistance, supervision, or both, as is required for the particular customer they are accompanying."

Children can travel as long as they can get on and off the plane by themselves and not require extra attention (feeding / toilet going) in flight. Interesting that there is not set age... Should be interesting. As there is no connections offered by JQ it shouldn't really be a drama for most older children. Unless of course Nanna isn't there to pick up little Johnny... Then what? I would think JQ has no liabilty as it isn't offering a UM service and the above forms part of the Conditions of Carriage.

The grey area is old people who don't do stairs... As to qualify for an 'Assist' you must be wheelchair bound. I guess that extends to people with crutches too? Again should be interesting!

Res agents at QF and JQ are being trained to refer any customer that mentions UMs to QF services wherever possible.

High Altitude
26th Apr 2004, 22:13
Why don't they make it sound a little better:-

Instead of :- "customers who require two seats for themselves"

Jetstar can also supply special Magda chairs... :O :O :O

kookabat
27th Apr 2004, 13:18
I just played the role of passenger on one of Jet*'s turnaround exercises - was considering bringing a pair of crutches to make it seem 'realistic' to them, but never got around to it... wonder what would have happened???

Adam

(edited to fix a few bad, bad typos... sometims I jst ca't seem to be abl to typ prooperlyy)

chief wiggum
28th Apr 2004, 00:24
Did that "Exercise" include simulating people who decide to go to the toilet 5 minutes AFTER the initial boarding call has been made ? or the arrogant business person who is in the coffee shop on a "very important phone call", and "I'll get on the plane when i finish this call thank you!"?

Did it include the family of seven seeing nanna off.... for 12 minutes?

Did they simulate the time it takes for people to load ALL their carry on baggage in the overhead lockers ?

OR... did they pull a 717 up to the impulse hangar, have everybody standing ready, including a full load of baggage/freight, and pat themselves on the back when it all went smoothly ?

Just wondering!

faar_canal
28th Apr 2004, 00:55
Such negativity in Australia.

It is embarrassing to think what the rest of the world must think reading most of the topics in Dunnunda.

Try and smile and enjoy life sometimes.

There is a lot more in life than just complaining about everyone.

:yuk:

Animalclub
29th Apr 2004, 00:43
Chief Wiggum

LH got around that problem by walking all the passengers via their luggage - lined up on the tarmac just in front of the aircraft stairs. Just before the passengers climbed the aircraft stairs they had to point out their luggage to be loaded.

Any luggage or passengers not on board when the door was closed didn't travel.

The aircraft, a 747, departed on time too. I like it.

Blastoid
29th Apr 2004, 03:14
Interesting too is their "free seating policy" - which prioritises who gets on the plane first depending on who checked in first.

Wonder if we'll see any seat rage :rolleyes:

Animalclub
29th Apr 2004, 08:51
Too many people are making much ado about nothing with free seating. It's been going on around the world from the 1970's as I know of. It encourages people to get on board quicker and you get the chance to sit next to a good looker.

There is still pre-boarding for the elderly and people with kids or any other handicap. Don't worry about it.

cunninglinguist
1st May 2004, 00:21
To elaborate on Buster, I think they should only allow 6' ( females 5'10" ) blonde persons with a body fat of less than 20%, have to be at least a 7 on a 1-10 scale with an income of > 100k pa..............oh and a college degree ( not arts !! )
;) :p :D :p :O :D

Buster Hyman
1st May 2004, 03:57
Well, now I'm completely ruled out for travel on them!