PDA

View Full Version : Infrared Adapter

BoeingBoy
25th Apr 2004, 22:04
Hi All, it's me with the accursed (but fixed) Medion Laptop again.

After a regal shouting match with them they finally put me onto someone who would help, and I am pleased to say that I was sent a new screen inverter free of charge after three weeks.

Any way the reason I am posting is that after compressing and uncompressing the C: drive I wound up with some corruptions that prompted me to run the windows XP home disk in repair mode. This went horribly wrong when a .dll file could not be found and the installation froze. As I had installed all relevant service packs and updates since the original installation I figured that I had lost whatever the old disk was looking for and in desparation put in the disk for a new desktop that I bought recently. This went well and generally all is now running smoothly, however my IR port is no longer working and whilst the system manager shows it is running smoothly I cannot get my Nokia phone to fire up the IR recognition software.

Opening the Nokia software and selecting the IR link tells me that the 'IR socket API caused an error' and trying to install the software for my old Motorola (that creates a virtual port for IR) tells that I do not have an 'Infrared Adapter' installed.

My applications and support CD is no help and searching MS help and support has produced nothing.

Help please?........:uhoh:

Tinstaafl
26th Apr 2004, 00:09
Try removing ALL IR & Nokia related software. After that, re-install the IR part of Windoze then the Nokia stuff.

BoeingBoy
26th Apr 2004, 08:12
Hi Tinstaafl.

How do I install the IR part of wiindows without having to install the whole thing. Should I run the repair mode again with the new desk top disk, or just go for a complete format and install windows again.

As the desktop disk is an OEM copy I worry that no IR software may be included as it's not expected to be used on a laptop.

The lappy's windows disk is pre SP1.

Thanks for the reply.

BB

BoeingBoy
27th Apr 2004, 20:04
Well I gave up and did a complete new installation of WinXP Home usig the post SP1 disk

Still the IR port would not work, only showing contact with my Nokia 6310i after about five minutes of line of sight contact.

I installed the Nokia driver to no avail, but then reinstalled a wonderful little piece of freeware that I was put onto by Motorola to create a virtual port on com5 for the IR. (You would have thought that Nokia would have been aware of Win XP having no default port for IR hardware) I'll get back to you with the link for this.

Anyware with this program installed everything burst into life and I was able to install the 6310 driver after a bit of fuss. (Nokia instructions gave no valid file paths.)

Anyway, happy buzzing, frewheeling lappy back on line after three days of frenzied button pushing.

BB