PDA

View Full Version : South of France Freelance options?

PPRuNeUser0215
25th Apr 2004, 18:08
Hi
Does anyone know of private operators using freelance pilots in the Cannes/Nice area.

Medium/heavy experience, living locally, FAA or CAA tickets.

A "Pastis 51" for any correct answer :)
Thanks

FLEXJET
26th Apr 2004, 12:16
Here are some a/c that might be interesting:

F-GZLC
C550 Citation II
Biotonic
Cannes

F-GEXL
Beechcraft 200
Aviasud AeroTaxi
Nice

LX-MRC
CJ1
Air Print
Cannes

N13LY
Beechcraft 200
Andreas Dion Liveras
Cannes

3A-MSI
PA31T
S. Orlando
Cannes

G-OWDB
HS-125/700B
Bizair Ltd/Wily de Bruyn
Nice

PPRuNeUser0215
26th Apr 2004, 15:53
Thanks Flexjet... I ll do some homework then and try to get in touch.
Kind of fancy keeping in touch with GA plus during my days off I have to stay away from car dealers/computer shops/other grown toys and the best way to achieve that is to work.

Merci

nasib
26th Apr 2004, 17:40
Living in the south of France now are we?

Airline job, living in the sun AND you want more?

Bit greedy if you ask me. But then no one did ask me. :)

Nasib

PPRuNeUser0215
26th Apr 2004, 17:49
Hi Nasib

:D I guess you are somewhat reponsible for this greedy behaviour of mine. Funny but less than 2 weeks ago I flew from BRS to Alicante, taxying past BFC's flight line.
I didn't get the time to get you a coffee (is it Number 42?) but it certainly brought back some great memories (if not cheap :D).

nasib
27th Apr 2004, 22:05
>I guess you are somewhat reponsible for this greedy behaviour of mine.

Why, please explain, is it my fault?

>Funny but less than 2 weeks ago I flew from BRS to Alicante, taxying past BFC's flight line.

Pity, the coffe is still as good as ever.

>I didn't get the time to get you a coffee (is it Number 42?) but it certainly brought back some great memories (if not cheap )

How quickly they forget, it's 16 strong :eek:

May not be cheap, but definately value for money :(

Sounds like you're enjoying yourself.

Nasib

PPRuNeUser0215
28th Apr 2004, 12:32
Why, please explain, is it my fault?

Well we live in a world which promote a culture of blame so there we go.

No Nasib= No I/R Instruction
No I/R Instruction= No I/R Rating
No I/R Rating = No Licence
No Licence = No Job
No Job = No nice life with plenty of time off
No nice life with plenty of time off = No time for Freelance work
No time for freelance work = Not greedy

I hope you feel guilty now ;)

Itswindyout
28th Apr 2004, 12:37
Sorry, but I agree with Nasab, I have spent all my life in GA, and get really Pi$$ed off when a BA training captain freelances on a smaller GA aircraft, on his days off because it is fun. Until BA let me freelance on my day off. ( perhaps 240 per year), then please go away......
Not only BA training captains....but anyone with a full time flight deck job...should try and respect that others are not earing enough, but they are earing double....rant over. back to bed...Windy

PPRuNeUser0215
28th Apr 2004, 13:30
Then perhaps you will realise that although I fly airliners today...
- I have instructed on gliders to begin with
- I have towed gliders next
- I have packed my bag and went to Africa without any contact before managing to get a job flying C206s.
- I have flown fishes (for real) around Europe, single pilot IFR.
-I have been made redundant (like many) following 911.
- I was given 48 hours notice to sell my car and to give up my rented bedroom in order to take a job in a not exotic part of africa at all.
- I was once again redundant three months later after I ended up in hospital bed as a result of the Malaria virus (which was nothing compared to the Ebola zones we used to fly into).
- I flew single pilot PA31s for an air taxi before finally landing that great job I have today.

All in all, from my first glider flight, it took 17 years to achieve that. From my first powered flight only 12 and from the issue of my I/R that s just 4 years.

Also I really enjoy my flying whether it is flying singles, twins or jets so I am afraid that's the way it is and the way it will remain.
Obviously I don't know your background but on top of being patient and persistant, I have been broke most of my life so I know very well what it is not to earn any money. Actually I am still paying for it as we speak (debts take a long time before going).

should try and respect that others are not earing enough
As a matter of fact if today I am where I am, it's probably because I did just that... I have a lots of respect for people who struggle, for the nice guys who do what it takes to get there.
I also have a lot of time for people looking for jobs since throughout the years I have built a decent network which some people have enjoyed the benefits and some others, I hope, will too.

Anyway, I hope for you that the day you land that airline job you are (perhaps) after, you still get the same buzz everytime you get the chance to jump in anything flyable.
Then if you do, I am sure you will remember our "encouter".

Last but not least, if you fly bizjets/props and you happen to night stop in NCE. PM me and I ll be glad to buy you a beer... Promised, it isn't a trap :).

Ps: Edited because I forgot to add the following. In business aviation, what matters most isn't your experience but your personality. That's what really make a difference, so if you get a freelance position over me, then it will because of who you are (and who I am not).
I think it's a great way to get the right guy specially since for many operators, a type rating is peanuts compared to employing the right kind of pilot. Fear not then ;)

Chilli Monster
29th Apr 2004, 00:31
ItsWindyOut

I don't know whether English is your first language but if it is then maybe you should learn the definitions of 'banter' and 'friendship', which defines the Amex - Nasib chat. If you do understand what they mean then shame on you for hi-jacking others comments for your own personal bitch session.

Amex has paid his dues in the GA world - believe me, and I for one hope he gets his 'bit on the side' in the South of France because it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Amex - maybe see you in Cannes someday if I'm there with a certain C550 ;)

727 exec
29th Apr 2004, 10:47
I think I can see the point that Windy is making (and he's a jolly fine chap with a lifetime in Corporate Aviation whose main language is English)...it's very difficult when you are a career freelance Pilot working in 'our' sector of the business, and potential trips are filled (is that a delicate enough expression?) by people who are fully employed elsewhere.

The concern is that 'you' might be taking 'my' only chance of earning monies that week (dramatic but possible), and that because 'you' are doing it for fun, then the daily rate might be lower (seen it happen) and therefore tempting the Owner to always go that route (seen that too).

I think that the Airline Chaps would get more than slightly miffed if I used my Boeing ratings to pop onto the schedule to fill in...I can hear the screams of the Balpa reps from here!!

Amex - we've all struggled. I've served tea/coffee, meal and duty free to 19 people in a bouncing turboprop (they thought they were travelling on the real BCal)...all that to be able to be there - there where the aviation people were.

Now I'm where I dreamed of being - a lifetime career Corporate Aviator with no desire to fly for an airline.

Jolly banter - yes, up for all that (and free beers too!), but please see the potential for really upsetting people whose career is your holiday.

PPRuNeUser0215
29th Apr 2004, 11:31
:D :D Itswindyout and I have unleashed our mates... But i ll warn you, ChilliMonster really is a monster;)!
Next thing we know, we ll have our handbags out unless it's my big brother (who happens to be a younger sister by the way) who will be waiting for yours. :D :D :D

Hey guys, I am not stealing anyone's job right and as for salaries, having suffered from pilots doing the job for less than I would, it's not my thing to go below market rate. Of course I don't need to.

then the daily rate might be lower (seen it happen) and therefore tempting the Owner to always go that route [/b].
I know what you are saying, I suffered from that myself in two occasions so I have a charter of the employer they must sign before they employ me;). Seriously though, the good owners I have spoken to, pay for the type rating and the correct rate (which I make between £350 and £450 a day). No bond, no crap just a deal meeting my expectations as much as theirs.

[QUOTE]Amex - we've all struggled. I've served tea/coffee, meal and duty free to 19 people in a bouncing turboprop (they thought they were travelling on the real BCal)...all that to be able to be there - there where the aviation people were
I was trying to avoiding boring you so I had left aside the many non pilot jobs I have had to hold(including Cabin Crew and Check In but these were the better ones).

Alst point about freelance airline pilots.... I'd say it exists. Contract pilots often provide their assistance for a few months or a few years. A path I haven't explored much (not experienced enough anyway) but the idea of changing employer and location every so often sounds attractive. Probably making up for the harshness and imprevisible ways the industry can take.

So the real question is... when do we drink all the beers we keep talking about?

PS: 727 exec, do you fly the 72? If so PM me.

PPS: CM, see you down here then. Nice restaurant at the airport and great choice outside. There is also something which looks like a mini museum made of aviation parts which I find quite interesting to check once in a while. If you have to hang around, that should keep you busy for a little while.