PDA

View Full Version : Should You Involve Your Partner In 'Anorak' Type Hobbies? M..kay

Boss Raptor
25th Apr 2004, 15:29
Would it be complimentary to a relationship to involve your partner in a hobby such as reggie spotting, model railways or 'power' shopping (auditing/identifying best bargains and recording trends)?

Should one share these pleasures with your partner...or not?

PS. my one does buy me trains for my N gauge train set...

PPS. had a gf once who'd been told by my friends 'if she asked nicely I'd show her my collection of Boeing Technical manuals in my bedroom' which i had...she however was convinced it was a wind up and offered me sex instead so she got into my bedroom under false pretences :confused:

tony draper
25th Apr 2004, 15:42
I think the female of the species is wired differently Boss,they seldom seem to show any enthusiasm,for such things as fossil collecting,stamp albums,collecting various types of transport numbers ect, hard to explain why this should be really, but experience and evidence point to this strange attitude.
Perhaps in a few million years the ladies will have caught up to us chaps in evolutionary terms, and will happily wander round a gleaming Traction engine with a large zappy smile on their faces.

:rolleyes:
PS Don't believe them when they say they will be delighted to attend a steam rally with you, they prolly have a ulterior motive.

spork
25th Apr 2004, 15:57
I think they're all too busy doing the work we can't be bothered to do, because we're "busy" with all the fascinating things in life like taking things apart.

IB4138
25th Apr 2004, 17:39
Mines got her own "hobby".....Cross Stitching.........
it's very addictive..for her that is.
I liken it to watching table tennis or paint drying!
each to their own I say.:ok:

Onan the Clumsy
26th Apr 2004, 02:35
Should you involve your partner in 'Anorak' type hobies? For the love of God man! No.

Animalclub
26th Apr 2004, 05:10
I have to ask... Where/when did the term "Anorak" hobbies originate... and what does it cover?

This is a serious question as I have never met the term before.

IB4138
26th Apr 2004, 07:40
Anorak.......
waterproof top coat worn by collectors of locomotive numbers on station platforms in the damp British climate. They tend to have an indepth knpwledge of their subject.

Wholigan
26th Apr 2004, 07:57
My understanding Animalclub, is that the term derives from what "spotters" various (be they train spotters, aircraft spotters, traction engine spotters or whatever) wear to pursue their hobbies. These hobbies mostly require wandering around (or - indeed - mostly just standing around) in the open and thus exposed to the best and worst that the elements can throw at one. Consequently, you will mostly find said "spotters" attired in warm, "sensible" (here you may insert your own definition of "sensible") clothing. This attire mostly takes the form of woollen bobble hats (colour optional), some form of gloves (mostly woollen mittens attached to strings passed through the sleeves of the top coat to enable ease of removal, combining the ability to get them off and on quickly and reducing the likelihood of loss of said mittens during the "off hands" periods). The ease of removal is an essential requirement to enable the rapid recording of engine or aircraft registration numbers in the notebook which is kept carefully in a waterproof plastic container on a string around ones neck. The whole ensemble is neatly set off and aesthetically satisfactorily completed by the wearing of ............... an anorak. An anorak is an amazingly "sensible" item of clothing designed to keep the spotters dry and warm. These anoraks usually have sleeves that are slightly long, so that - during the (admittedly infrequent) periods of clement weather experienced during the pursuance of whichever of the forms of "spotting" is being practised, the anorak may be tied - by use of the sleeves - around ones waist, thus "sensibly" keeping one cool whilst "sensibly" retaining the item of protective apparel readily close to hand for when the weather reverts to the more usual form - inclement.

Thus, the generic "spotter" is widely known as ----- an "anorak".

How do I know this? Because I am a "spotter" spotter.:E

Unless- of course - you know better ;) :8 :E

tony draper
26th Apr 2004, 08:15
From what I remember girls were usless at conkers and climbing trees, they could not kick a ball and were also the absolute pits at hiding,hardly supprising we did not allow girls into our gang.

:rolleyes:

Wholigan
26th Apr 2004, 08:24
But remember Drapes, that it was sometimes a good thing that they were useless at hiding, especially in what used to be my favourite game ------- "kiss/chase"!!! :E

Come to think of it, I'm still quite fond of that game

IB4138
26th Apr 2004, 08:43
Drapes and Wholigan

If you lived in the country, you could usually find them hiding around or in barns, sometimes shady places. Now that was thoughtful and fun!:ok:

Windy Militant
26th Apr 2004, 08:49
How do we then explain the phenomenon that I've noticed at Various air shows of the last few years. Male spotter type usually Middle aged with large pair of Binoculars being followed by the Mem saib who is usually ladened down with a couple of deck chairs a cooler box, several cameras and noting the numbers hubby shouts at her and checking them against a database on a palm pilot or similar. :confused:

Wholigan
26th Apr 2004, 08:58
New generation of spotters mate. They'll never be let into the old and ancient inner sanctum of spotters though. Wrong handshake! :D

Jeeez, they don't even wear the right uniform. They're frequently seen in Oz type duster coats and Oz style wide-brimmed hats. The ancient spotters must be turning in their graves.

In fact the original grand master of spotters is now known as "Whirling Eric Spotmaster".

Animalclub
27th Apr 2004, 03:10
Wholigan... many thanks. Enlightening to say the least.

Please don't have a go at my favourite hat the "Akubra"... and all coats in this part of Australia are dust coats. It'll be so dry until next summer.

BlueDiamond
27th Apr 2004, 03:46
In case you should be in any doubt after Wholigan's very thorough description, the term "anorak" is always used in a slightly contemptuous manner ... much along the lines of "tree-hugger," "shell-suit" or "do-gooder" and suchlike.

The inference being that the activities in which said "anoraks" indulge is usually of no interest to anyone else except another "anorak." Can you imagine, for example, how thrilled the person next to you on the aircraft/train/ferry would be if you advised them that you had travelled on this very craft three times in total, seven times in a row or nineteen times over the last twelve years or whatever the mind-numbingly boring figures might be? Their fascination would know no bounds.

:yuk: