PDA

View Full Version : Go, Button, go !

Grainger
25th Apr 2004, 08:04
Hee hee - Button on pole, and Hakkinen (sorry, Raikkonen) eating dust again !

Jenson's been on the podium twice already - anyone fancy him for a win today ?

SilsoeSid
25th Apr 2004, 09:30
I would put a few quid on Jenson to win this afternnon.
If the car goes the distance and there are no simple lapses of concentration on the chicanes, he'll be top of the podium.

Excellent now that we again have an Englishman back up with the competition.
http://media.canada.com/scripts/locate.asp?id=f0097cc1-ca91-41e4-bfc6-db237d4721c4

But never underestimate Michael.

BombayDuck
25th Apr 2004, 09:48
I'd bet on him for a podium finish, but not a win. Schumi knows this track like the back of his driving glove, he's won here in the last five years bar 2000....

timmcat
25th Apr 2004, 12:26
Thought this thread was about the green arrowed thing at the top of me browser...:cool:

Wedge
25th Apr 2004, 12:57
I wouldn't have put a few quid on Button, nice though it was to see him lead for a few laps, I knew it wouldn't last.

I did put a few quid on Schumi, however ;) ...... let's wait and see........

Kalium Chloride
25th Apr 2004, 15:23
Hope Button doesn't come undone. :ugh:

Lost_luggage34
25th Apr 2004, 15:27
Great development driver over the past season or two.

Good luck to him I say.

Loki
25th Apr 2004, 15:33
Three podiums in a row....a win soon?

Grainger
25th Apr 2004, 17:01
Well done Jens, certainly gave Michael a run for his money at the start. Reckon the first win is only a matter of time.

Excellent result, but what on earth was the matter with the rest of 'em ?

BombayDuck
25th Apr 2004, 17:42
crap ah I should've bet something meself.....

just as I predicted! :cool:

Capn Notarious
25th Apr 2004, 19:52
Thought this thread was about the green arrowed thing at the top of me browser...

No such luck. I don't have a green button, was your browser made for you, a lovely lady with a tape measure? Suit you sir.
I can only afford to buy them off the rail.

UL730
26th Apr 2004, 12:28
Amused at the post race interviews with Messrs Schumacher, Button and Montoya.

Button is learning his craft and becoming a credit to the sport. He is the only driver taking the fight to Ferrari. Additionally - the repeated and lingering shots of his delightful girlfriend's décolletage, by the Italian producer, brings a new dimension to F1 broadcasting.

Whining by Montoya about unwarranted aggression and close combat with Schumacher should become a thing of the past next season when he takes up the McLaren seat vacated by DC. Brings new meaning to the word optimism and pit lane starts will become a novelty he has hitherto not enjoyed. Voluminous clouds of white smoke in his rear view mirrors courtesy of Illmor Mercedes will be the gripe of 2005 for Juan-Pablo or perhaps being lapped by Button - when he moves backs to Williams?

:E

spekesoftly
26th Apr 2004, 13:15
I'm far from convinced that a move back to Williams for Jenson would be wise, much as I admire all that Frank and Patrick Head have achieved in the past. The BAR/Honda/Richards/Button combination is proving very successful, long may it continue.

The late Ken Tyrrell, who sold his team to BAR, would be proud.

astir 8
26th Apr 2004, 13:44
Can anyone regard F1 these days as an exiting spectacle? - this season must be turning more TV sets off than ever before - or to some form of actual racing - like superbikes, touring cars etc.

Biggles Flies Undone
26th Apr 2004, 13:57
Spekesoftly – with you all the way there.

I’ve followed F1 for a long time (and marshalled at most of the European GPs at one time or another) and it is clear to me that the Ferrari domination is getting out of control.

Don’t want to get too deep into this, but the bottom line is that I feel the influence Ferrari has over the ‘powers that be’ is now too great.

Having watched some fantastic bike racing last weekend I vowed that I would forget about F1 for the rest of this season if it was another crap race. Well, Jenson’s form and JPM’s anger will make me tune in one more time – but the threat still stands.

The season so far: Practice dramas! Startline dramas! Controversy! Speculation! Round and round they go – and the German wins again. BORING :yuk:

Wedge
26th Apr 2004, 13:58
No, it's absolutely awful. Every race so far has been a dull procession of Schumacher dominance; a Ferrari showcase.

I think even the tifosi are getting bored of it.

Ecclestone apparently was shocked by Ferrari's speed at the start of the season, saying 'It was not supposed to be like this at all'.

Yesterday, the first lap was the only bit of the race worth watching. Something needs to be done, and they know it.

A short term solution would be to give the other Ferrari driver equal status in the team. Schumi should be aware that if he wants to stay in F1 he has an interest in making it exciting. The problem is I'm not sure there is another driver who is good enough, Barrichello's head has gone down and he gets no support from the team anyway. They don't want him to challenge Schumi.

In 1988, McLaren's fabled year of dominance, there was a scintilating battle between the two best drivers in the same car. If Ferrari don't allow the same, F1 will continue to die.

Grainger
26th Apr 2004, 17:33
Totally disagree - I think this season has been far far from dull: just look at the changes happening through the field: BAR having got rid of Villeneuve now going from no-hopers to serious contenders, while Williams are struggling and McLaren eating dust at the back.

Ferrari is dominant in part because Schumacher made it: they were the no-hopers when he joined back in 1997. If you are in it for cheap thrills then maybe you should look elsewhere but forthose of us who are in it for the "long game" it's as fascinating as ever.

As always, it's no good bleating about it: if we want to see Ferrari beaten then the others need to raise their game. As for Montoya's whining he needs to either grow up or go the way of Villeneuve.

BombayDuck
26th Apr 2004, 19:40
It hasnt become boring yet. Anyone who saw the battle for four-five-six-seven between Ralf, the two Renaults of Trulli and Alonso and Barrichello would agree....

Also - the drama - will McLaren have a single car left by the end of the race? Will they manage a single point! All that tension! :E

Much as I love Schumi methinks he should drive a Minardi for a couple of races mid season. I have a feeling he might even get that baby into the points the way he's driving.

OldCessna
26th Apr 2004, 23:45
Well as much as I love Imola, the track is hopeless for any type of passing! (There was more passing in the pits!)

I have even seen more passing at Monaco!

A bunch of new tracks might get things moving!

Even Silverstone stands to go accordingy to "Bernie"

If I was JPM I'd be wondering about next year with Mclaren?

Wedge
27th Apr 2004, 19:33
I was once an F1 'anorak', but you really have to be very enthusiatic to find it exciting at the moment.

For example, I loved Mansell's similar domination of the start of the 1992 season, but he was giving us the chance of the first British champion since James Hunt, who was champion long before I was old enough to watch!

I just can't get excited about watching Schumi's inexorable progress to another early World Championship victory. One of the most irritating things is Ferrari's incredible reliability. There was a time when a driver's engine used to blow late on in the race when leading by half a lap. Now THAT was exciting.

Bernie knows that urgent action is needed to shake things up if the casual observer, who make up the majority of F1's audience, is to stay. I was once very enthusiastic about F1, but that was 10 years ago; I suppose it has not been the same since the death of Senna. F1 is in trouble - Max Mosely's proposed rule changes are an admission of this. But in the meantime we have to have someone challenging Schumi for the lead. Ferrari could do something about it, they should be realising by now it's in their interest to. Otherwise.....the big switch off will continue.

IB4138
27th Apr 2004, 21:21
Why not have Shuy start in the pit lane for every race, with his car on the jacks and no wheels on? That should even things up a bit!:hmm:

Wedge
27th Apr 2004, 23:21
.......or employ Dastardly and Mutley to put up big 'Diversion' signs and paint fake tunnel entrances on the side of mountains a la Wacky Races. That might make things more interesting.

SilsoeSid
27th Apr 2004, 23:50
All this Schumacher thing is typically B r i t i s h .
We just don't like winners.:ooh:

We love;
Tim Henman,
Stirling Moss,
Eddy the Eagle, .
Eric Moussambani, (the slowest swimmer in the history of the Olympic games)
etc

We hate;
Prince Naseem,
Chris Eubank,
Nigel Mansell,
etc

Back in the 50's, the rules weren't changed to lessen the skills of the likes of Fangio and Ascari, (who still holds the record of 9 consecutive wins, both in 1952 AND 1953).

There would be uproar if Schuey was to come close to that.(Well I suppose close enough is 6 consecutives in both 2000 and 2001) and that's where this anti-Schuey feeling stems from IMHO.

I'm afraid everyone should accept that Michael is technically the best driver the world has seen. Maybe not the most charasmatic, he is German after all.

Only 2 records to break;
Most consecutive wins (9 by Ascari, twice)
Most GP starts (256 Patrese, Michael 198)
The only record he's not likely to win is held by de Cesaris, that of 208 starts without a win.
(Unless of course Mosely and Ecclestone decide to make him wear an eye patch and sit backwards!)

Even Murray says of his last interview,(with Michael);
It was the last interview I did and one of my best. With one of the very best. If not the best.
To all those who don't like whats happening, read a couple of autobiographies/biographies and get to realise what is really going on.
You are experiencing a great period of motor racing history. Much like when we look back at the good old days of the 1950s/1960s with Fangio, Ascari, Clark, Hill and of course, even back then Ferrari.

Oggin Aviator
28th Apr 2004, 06:31
Nice posts Grainger and SilsoeSid.

When the Ferrari team reformed they had a very hard task to get up to the standard of the Wiliams and Mclaren teams that were dominant at the time. Lots of comments about Italian engineering etc and I remember that their car was not very competitive initially. Schumi stuck with it over a few seasons without success and then was able to reap the benefits. You need to maintain some kind of continuity (IMHO) over a long time in order to start getting the results.

Now they put the hard work in and have been the best team for the last few seasons. What is wrong with that - survival of the fittest etc. The turn around that they experienced can now be seen to be happening to the BAR team and good luck to them.

I think Schumi is the best driver at the moment, Williams are still getting back to speed but watch them in about 2 seasons time and Mclaren need to do a bit of extra work getting their car sorted (although I am sure they realise this as well!). Stating the obvious really!

Oggin

an F1 fan

spekesoftly
28th Apr 2004, 11:16
Excellent posts by Grainger, SilsoeSid, and Oggin Aviator.

I'm not entirely comfortable with Stirling Moss being put in the same category as Eddie the Eagle, but the point is well made.

Wedge
28th Apr 2004, 11:49
I'm afraid everyone should accept that Michael is technically the best driver the world has seen

I totally disagree with that. Schumacher is a brilliant driver, no doubt. The difference is that he has no competition. I have nothing against the guy either, apart from his dubious tactics in previous seasons; he is a great driver. Martin Brundle suggested that Senna was the more gifted driver but Schumacher applied his gift more effectively, but I'm not sure I agree with that either; put Senna in the same car as Schumacher and Senna would win every time in my view.

Senna was technically better, Prost was probably on a par with Schumacher, Mansell had more balls etc. But those guys had to race against one another, which is why particularly in Prost and Senna's case they did not win 6-7 world championships.

F1 is supposed to be 'racing', that is what we are not seeing.

ftr, I can't stand Tim Henman, I loved Nigel Mansell, and like Eubank and Naseem. It has nothing to do with the British love of losers.

SLFguy
28th Apr 2004, 12:37
Wedge.....

the occasional IMHO would be welcome...

BombayDuck
28th Apr 2004, 14:14
WHat I fail to understand is why Williams cannot keep a set of drivers long enough. Now they have a [email protected] car, and they will be losing BOTH drivers next season.

Which brings out the question - where is Coulthard headed?

Regarding Schumi - its be a good idea for him to switch places with Bruni or Fisichella or the likes - will be worth watching the fun!

I have not seen enough of Senna - God knows I was way too young then - but I have a hard time believing he could be as good as Michael is today...

At one point on Sunday Schumi had a 30 second gap between himself and Button. Now no matter HOW good your car, a 30 second gap with 20 laps to go is way too much....

I also second that part about reliability, and would also throw in the point about the tyres. People keep yakking on and on about how much better the Michelins are over the Bridgestones and how they last longer and are softer and blah and more blah - well I wish they'd stop... Bridgestone performed in Bahrain, where the track temperature was way higher than most circuits.

Ferrari has been through 4 races now and finsished 8 times. Add to that last year where I can't recall a Ferrari having retired more than a couple of times bar the one time when Barichello went straight into a tire wall :P

Don't see the domination changing, what I'd like to see is Ferrari tune up and spend more time on Ruben's car, and giving him a free hand. Will make it more competitive, and get Ferrari a one-two at season's end...

Maxflyer
28th Apr 2004, 14:49
I never used to like Schumacher, but now I reckon he is the best driver we have seen since Senna. I remember the battles between Hunt and Lauda, Senna and Mansell, Prost & Senna and that I believe is the rub. Up until the last couple of races Schumi has not had a worthy opponent. If Dave Richards can keep Jenson focussed and Honda/Michelin keep themselves working well, then maybe we'll see some good old fashioned racing. I always listen intently to post race interviews (no PR peeps on hand to coach the drivers) and I get a strong feeling that Michael considers Jenson to be an extremely worthy opponent. Even the Brawnmeister has acknowledged that JB would be an asset to Ferrari at a future point. Don't give up on F1 yet there's a great deal of quality racing yet to come our way. On a slightly different note, if Silverstone can give us a race as good as last year maybe Bernie will ease up on his hate campaign!