PDA

View Full Version : Mind this doesn't catch you out

Unwell_Raptor
25th Apr 2004, 08:46
I recently changed my car insurance to Esure. I checked the paperwork before filing it away and I noticed that cover for me to drive other cars was not mentioned on the Certificate. I rang Esure and they told me that this cover is omitted when you buy online as I did, but they would reinstate it there and then without charge.

This is potentially disastrous - if I had not carefully checked my policy I could have been under a mistaken impression that I was covered third party while driving other cars. Sod's law says that I would then have an accident while driving another car in an
emergency. Absolute offence - minimum six points, possible huge civil liability.

I think that Esure should amend their practice, but I also advise anyone who has bought online to have a close look at their policy documents.

I also noticed that third party cover is now capped at 20 million. This is post-Selby, of course, that being the most expensive car insurance claim ever. So if you or I cause the next Selby, that's it - bankrupt.

AeroSpark
25th Apr 2004, 12:10
Insurance companies are fast becoming far too much a law nto themselves. I think it is time the government thought about increasing road tax and giving every motorist third party cover with the tax. You could then opt to but extra cover from the insurance company if you so desired. That should make these modern day Dick Turpins sweat a bit:E

M.Mouse
25th Apr 2004, 12:43
I think it is time the government thought about increasing road tax and giving every motorist third party cover with the tax.

At first glance a good idea in practice but in effect we would all be subsidising the low lifes who drive without insurance and if they are of the type that has difficulty getting insurance it would be the cheap option for them at my expense!

I am puzzled why we don't have to have a clear and easily readable certificate of some sort, like a tax disc, in the window to prove we have insurance. Wouldn't be a complete cure but would make it that much more difficult for insurance dodgers to continue driving witrhout insurance.

FFP
25th Apr 2004, 13:00
I thought you had to show Certificate of Insurance to get Road Tax in the UK ?

stagger
25th Apr 2004, 13:05
FFP - you do. But that certificate only needs to cover you driving the car you are getting taxed. Doesn't need to include third-party cover while driving another car.

Here's something I've always wondered - if my policy includes third party cover when I drive a car belonging to someone else - if I have bump then the owner of the other car damaged can claim against my policy as a third-party. But isn't the owner of the car I've been lent to drive also a third party - could they claim?

Lost_luggage34
25th Apr 2004, 13:08
You do indeed FFP.

There is also an army of Police Forces using the ANR system - camera in the back of an unmarked van, reads number plates, checks if you are uninsured, untaxed, disqualified. Can read & check up to 3000 drivers / hour I understand.

Fully support it. As it is the untaxed lout motorists that we all pay for with hyped up insurance premiums.

FFP
25th Apr 2004, 13:59
One thing I didn't realise is that your premium is based on the number of people in your area who have made claims with the company you are with. So, 1 yr on, with no accidents or convictions my premium goes up.

I find the only way to beat this is to change companies every year. Saved 90 pounds this year and 50 this year. Funny thing is when I approached my insurance company to tell them I'd had a cheaper quote, their answer was "We don't price match" and then sounded surprised I was leaving them !!!!!!

Jerricho
25th Apr 2004, 15:21
That whole "have you been given a quote already" thing really annoys me. There has been more than one occasion where I have been asked that on the phone and replied "Yes I have, but I'm not going to tell you! Give me your quote and we'll go from there." And if (and it usually is) it's higher, I politely tell them "Thank you, I'll be taking my business elsewhere"

IB4138
25th Apr 2004, 17:46
Time the UK general insurance scene was properly regulated.
The companies all seem to have "add on departments" working hard on inventing new ways to screw Joe Public.

Jerricho
25th Apr 2004, 17:49
And call centres that don't necessarily have local knowledge, and if you ask a question or pose a problem that isn't in their filp-chart..........well, good luck.

mini
25th Apr 2004, 19:05
The insurance industry needs a good kicking.

Where I come from (Ireland) they blame ever increasing policies on the cost of claims. First it was the way claims were awarded - by juries. The Gov changed that so judges made the assessments - suprise, suprise no decrease in policy cost. Then it was something else etc etc. The Gov finally established an independent commision to investigate the industry. One of their findings was that the Irish insurers made more profits historically than their UK counterparts.

Their problem IMHO is that they have no idea on the realities of what they're dealing with. They hide behind legal framework that is antiquated and clearly designed to protect the insurer i.e. "Uberima Fidei" They introduce loadings based on uneducated and cetainly unsientific grounds - i.e. during the period when carburettors were being replaced by injection systems many companies automatically loaded cars with fuel injection - totally subjective and ignorant.

the sooner we can access EU wide competition the better

:*

LGS6753
25th Apr 2004, 21:02
I use a local insurance broker.

They will usually match other quotes I get (eg on the net).
They are always there when I ring, and I can speak to someone who is looking at my file.
It's not a call centre, so I get straight through, I talk to someone properly trained, I don't have to spend money listening to their choice of muzak, and it's a true local rate phone number.
I hope that if/when I have a claim, they will be there to help me deal with the insurance company, because I am their customer and the insurance company is their supplier.

Give them a try...

Bletchley
25th Apr 2004, 21:22
We also are insured by Esure and bought online.

Our Policy clearly states that other cars may be driven in Clause 5 of the Certificate.

I notice however that as a named driver, I am not allowed to drive other cars under that Insurance.

Is that what you meant?

Unwell_Raptor
25th Apr 2004, 21:43
No, clause 5 of my Certificate makes no mention of other cars, only Mr. & Mrs. Raptor as drivers.

We deliberately cross-insure the two cars, hers in her name and mine in mine, so that we both have emergency TP cover. Madame has the cover on her Egg policy.

Bletchley
25th Apr 2004, 22:21
Something not right methinks.

Thanks for the info though. It was useful to get a reminder that I am not insured to drive other vehicles...easy mistake when you are used to the automatic right