View Full Version : Ex Military Pilots

snafu
25th Apr 2004, 01:37
For future reference, could anyone from airline recruiting answer a question for me:

Where would an ex-military pilot with fATPL (A) and 2000-2500 hours, mostly on twin engined, multi crew helicopters fit into the recruiting plot? Would they just be considered to be a fATPL with whatever (probably minimal) FW hours, or would the RW hours count and enable them to apply for jobs that specify 2000-2500 hours?

Having read through the BA DEP threads on T&E, it was a question that had ocurred to me before but would be useful to have answered, in order to know where I might stand if I decided to leave the Mob in a few years.

scroggs
26th Apr 2004, 09:22
It really depends on how much the airlines need pilots! At Virgin, we have a number of ex-rotary people. Most of them were recruited between 1997-2000 when the airline industry couldn't get enough experienced pilots. Even then, some airlines looked askance at rotary experience.

At the moment, airlines can pretty much get all the experienced pilots they need - but the plot is moving in your favour. Right now, you will probably find they tell you to go get more fixed wing experience. In 6 months to a year? Who knows?!

The main thing is to get your CV in to your potential employers and let them tell you what their current policy is.

Scroggs

snafu
27th Apr 2004, 21:52
Thanks scroggs! I was going to PM you, but thought you probably had better things to do than answer a question that I'm sure plenty of others could do.

I've got a few years before I could leave, but it's always good to have a bit of information from the real world about how I'm going to find things if I go.

:ok:

Pub User
27th Apr 2004, 22:01
It all depends on the particular airline's view. I personally know seven ex-mil helicopter pilots who have got airline jobs within the last 10 months. Of those seven, only one had an 'unfrozen' ATPL, the rest (including me) had fATPLs.

scroggs
28th Apr 2004, 09:28
So there you go! Though be aware that the market changes rapidly, and often without warning. What's true now may be ancient history by Monday. Make sure you make contacts in your chosen group of employers and keep up to date with what their current thinking is. I've no doubt you have ex-colleagues you know in those airlines- get in contact with them and stay in contact. Let them know you're interested in joining their airline when your release date comes, and get them to feed you info as that date approaches. It's not what you know... (As I'm sure you know!)

Scroggs