PDA

View Full Version : Soundcard playing up!

paddyboy
24th Apr 2004, 20:26
Evening all. Could do with some advice please???:O :O :O

Having just downloaded and installed a new driver/upgrade for a Realtek AC97 soundcard I have started to experience a few probs(surprise surprise:( ).

Instead of starting immediately all audio now fades in.....? eg. When I open up the volume control I have to click on it several times as the volume increases.

Also, the 'click' sound when I open web pages has vanished.

Can anyone help as it's only a petty problem but it's driving me bananas??:{

It's a Toshiba laptop using WinXP Prof.
Many thanks in advance

PADDY:ok:

Saab Dastard
25th Apr 2004, 09:08
It sounds like your configuration settings have been changed.

The "click" on navigation is the sound associated with the Windows Explorer \ Complete Navigation Event, which you can check in Control Panel \ Sounds.

If there is a sound associated with it and it isn't playing, you have a problem (you can test in CP). If there is no associated sound, add one and see if it works.

The default sound level being low could be a configuration setting with your card, but I can't help as I've got a different card.

SD

paddyboy
25th Apr 2004, 18:29
Thank you thank you.:)

I've tried a sys restore and also rolling back to the previous driver and neither have made a difference:{ .

Saab,

There is a sound associated to the Complete Nav. However, when I try to listen to it nothing happens.....?

Any more ideas?
Cheers

PADDY:ok:

Saab Dastard
25th Apr 2004, 18:53
If you are getting no sound at all, then...

First, check the obvious - are all wires and cables connected & plugged in etc?

If you have a set of headphones that you can plug in to test the output, then check if you have any sound with them.

Open the volume applet up completely so that you see all the sound inputs - is the wav section set too low?

If you have the original drivers, or they are on the Windows CD, then I would try to re-install them. I would uninstall the driver, then restart and load the drivers.

SD