PDA

View Full Version : Virus help

jimgriff
23rd Apr 2004, 20:57
Managed to pick up

Bloodhound.Exploit.6.

NAV is no help and I cant access the file to manualy delete.

Any advice?

jimgriff
24th Apr 2004, 18:46
I googled this to death and tried every hint. Seems to have dissapeared for the mo.

Fingers, legs and gonads crossed.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
25th Apr 2004, 15:22
jimgriff,

Just to make sure NAV is not missing anything, you should also run Tend Micro's HouseCall (http://housecall.trendmicro.com/) once a week, just to make sure everything if working as advertised. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

Mack Buffet
25th Apr 2004, 20:11
Extract from Sophos

"Bloodhound is not the name of a virus, but a message displayed by Symantec's Norton Anti-Virus when it thinks it may have found a new virus."

Full text can be found here (http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/hoaxes/bloodhound.html)

Recommend you scan using an alternate AV program (many evaluation versions are available for download) such as Sophos (http://www.sophos.com/products/sav/), Norman (http://www.norman.com/Download/Trial_versions) or Trend Micro as recommended above.

Remember any AV program is only any good if it has been recently updated - new virus definitions are released almost daily.

jimgriff
26th Apr 2004, 08:03
I seem to have got the full works installed since this last scare.
AVG, NAV, Spybot Search, etc etc.

My PC is now S O S L O W it is unbelievable!! 5 mins for a start up, and keeps dropping my ISP after just 5 mins online consistently.

This is really Pi**ing me off now. Any help would be great.

Mack Buffet
26th Apr 2004, 10:01
Could be that you now have too much stuff on there !

As a general rule, I wouldn't run more than one anti virus product on the same machine.

Without knowing the spec of the machine or exactly what's installed, difficult to give specifics, however as a set of general guidelines:

1. Are the basics right ? Enough hard disk space remaining ? Enough memory ? Extra memory is cheap and the best way to boost a flagging machine. Lack of it means the machine is constantly writing data to disk. Although this shouldn't affect startup too much.

2. Give your PC a clean out, uninstall as many additional programs as you can using the Add/Remove programs feature in Control Panel. Make sure you have the disks if you want to reinstall ! If in doubt about what a particular program does, don't uninstall it. Reboot afterwards.

3. Once you've done this, run some system tools such as scandisk and defrag to tidy up the disk. Reboot afterwards

4. Reinstall a good, up to date antivirus product and firewall. We use Sophos which I find to be extremely good at detection, but requires a bit of poking around in the configuration to get it to automatically remove the virus for you. Norman produces a product called Internet Control, which is anti virus and software firewall combined. Only install one at a time, if it doesn't find anything, feel free to try another but uninstall the first and reboot before installing the next one.

NAV is a good product but in my experience does impose quite a system overhead.

Saab Dastard
26th Apr 2004, 15:52
Don't set them all to run at boot up!

I run AV as a scheduled job - 21:00 hours every day, with intercheck running permanently in the background, then I run Adaware / Spybot as and when I feel like it - usually once a week. But Spybot is set to reject stuff anyway.

It all comes down to the acceptable compromise for you between security and usability.

SD

BOAC
26th Apr 2004, 16:26
JG - did you get my PM on day 1?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
26th Apr 2004, 23:13
jimgriff,

You cannot run two Antivirus programs at the same, they are not compatible with each other and will cause many problems.

Take Care,

Richard

jimgriff
27th Apr 2004, 09:11
BOAC, Yes I did thank you. With all the probs Ive had I didnt get back to PM you. I appreciate your efforts.
Thinking of a strip down and rebuild (software style) in near future. Thanks for all the help so far.