23rd Apr 2004, 20:54
Manchester is close on runway capacity
Notingham East Midlands is close on terminal capacity
Newcastle is close on terminal capacity
Leeds Bradford is close on terminal capacity

What's the way forward now for these airports?:oh:

MEFLYBE
23rd Apr 2004, 21:16
I didnt know Manchester was close on runway capacity???? Considering LGW is still operating with 1 runway and LHR with 2! I doubt a 3rd at MAN is high on the priority list!?!

I have to say I hate the terminal at NEMA. They should build a completely new one, there is a need for nearly 20 airbridges on early summer mornings!

Newcastle should get a 2nd pier where the fuel farm currently is and more aprob space should be built at the top end of the current apron in the direction of the firs station.

LBA also needs a new terminal, again, early summer mornings would easily occupy 10 airbridges.

Regards

Mike

almost professional
23rd Apr 2004, 21:19
well NEMA has a new terminal in the advanced planning stages-and the ability/room for a second runway if needed(despite the government report earlier in the year) along with the ATC resources and established airspace to go with the expansion if required:p

LBAir
23rd Apr 2004, 21:55
Ref runway capacity, i'm only quoting what I have read on a previous PPRuNe topic. I understand it to be Air Traffic who are not happy about increasing movements any further at peak times.

NEMA is a great airport, it couldn't be better possitioned. It's close to the M1 and at an hours drive from at least 4 major cities. NEMA is the best placed airport in the North to have a truly international airport to rival Birmingham and those OTHERS to the South.

Ringwayman
23rd Apr 2004, 21:57
LBAir, Extracts from the White Paper on the future of air transport pertaining to Manchester:

"As a major international gateway, it provides an important alternative to the congested airports in the South East and is the only UK airport other than Heathrow to have two full-length runways. Consequently it potentially has significant spare runway capacity, especially if new operating procedures allowing more intensive use to be made of the existing runways in segregated mode were to be introduced.

However, if the airport were to attract a major airline to establish a substantial hub operation, it is possible the existing runway system could also accommodate the higher levels of demand this would generate. This would depend on the average number of passengers carried per aircraft, the pattern of runway utilisation across the day and the potential benefits future technology developments may bring in terms of making more intensive use of the airport’s runways. Although we do not anticipate major runway capacity constraints at Manchester before 2030, the position will not become clear until well into the second part of the White Paper period and so will need to be kept under review. "

DC10FAN
24th Apr 2004, 19:44
LBAIR,

I think the way forward is simple...the new airport at Finningley. Alot of people who live in Lincolnshire and South Yorkshire currently use these airports(not many in the case of Newcastle) so imo would welcome development at Finningley as it will be much closer/easier to get to.

Regarding each airport:
Manchester is close on runway capacity(really? with 2 r/ways that aren't even used simulataneously throughout the day)
Nottingham East Midlands is close on terminal capacity(accepted; the terminal is a mess; needs a proper replacement designed from scratch)
Newcastle is close on terminal capacity(Greater use of Teeside?)
Leeds Bradford is close on terminal capacity(most likely to be affected imo when flights start from DSA)

LBAir
24th Apr 2004, 20:14
DC10FAN, I guessed that DSA would soon pop up into this discussion. I specifically left it out on perpose. I wanted to avoid negative talk about how DSA would ROB traffic and passengers away from other airports. I am sure DSA (Robin Hood) will do very well given time and will provide the people of SOUTH Yorkshire with a first class airport, but I wanted to know what people felt was the way ahead for the other airports in the North giving specific details of positive things to excel each airport in each region. With regards to Manchester reaching capacity, what was ment was that air traffic are not happy at increasing traffic flows at peak periods (Apparently)

Sir George Cayley
24th Apr 2004, 21:07
As R2 is only open from 06.00 to 12.00 and 15.00 to 21.00 daily there is clearly plenty of spare capacity. What it is short of is peak movement slots.

Terminal capacity will be the first restraining factor and expansion of T2 will deal with that in the short term. Land is earmarked for other termini for future years

The challange ATC will face is how to maximise peak time capacity bearing in mind the effect increased departures will have on surrounding sectors.

Air holding times at Manchester are no longer the issue they used to be pre R2.

Perhaps if crews took note of the recent Eurocontrol Runway Occupancy reduction leaflet this could free up some space.

Oh and a few more remote stands beyond S71R might not be a bad thing.

Sir George Cayley

dwlpl
25th Apr 2004, 09:18
Expansion at Liverpool

With the next phase of apron expansion (this follows the expansion in terminal space earlier this year) at Liverpool due to open officially this week, the airport has turned to the future needs.

The current terminal has a planning ceiling of 4.5million passengers. The airport expects to reach that figure before the end of 2005.

The airport is now planning to either build another extension to the terminal or build a NEW one.

The new terminal, according to reports, may be built on land near to the new control tower on the opposite side of the runway from the current terminal.

Planning proposals are to be lodged with Liverpool City Council later this year.

Caslance
25th Apr 2004, 11:20
.......on the opposite side of the runway from the current terminal. Wouldn't that make access somewhat problematic, or do the plans include tunnelling under the runway?

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
25th Apr 2004, 11:48
Liverpools pax figures have been dropping for about the last 4 months maybe Easyjet are losing to BMI Baby and Monarch

Golf India Bravo

Caslance
25th Apr 2004, 13:57
It was very satisfying to see all 3 British Midland A330s on consecutive gates on T1 operating scheduled flights from Ringway this morning - Chicago, Washington and Toronto.

Especially so since the imminent demise of at least one of these services has been confidently predicted on this very forum. :ok:

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
25th Apr 2004, 16:00
Washington service seems to be getting quite good loads and we are not even into summer season yet

Golf India Bravo

dwlpl
25th Apr 2004, 17:28
Liverpools pax figures have been dropping for about the last 4 months
Thats not correct.

For the record, from the first full month in November 1997 of easyJets operations out of Liverpool up to and including March 2004, passenger figures have been positive in 73 months and negative in 4 months.

Those four months being April 2002 (-1.9%), December 2003 (-1.6%), January 2004 (-10.3%) and February 2004 (-2%).

Caslance
25th Apr 2004, 17:50
Are the figures for March available, dwlpl? The figures you quote do seem to indicate a downward trend since December 2003.

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
25th Apr 2004, 18:26
Sorry March was up (0.1%)
When most airports are in large possitive increases

Golf India Bravo

dwlpl
25th Apr 2004, 18:38
You will note the my previous post said 'up to and including March 2004'. The March 2004 total was +0.3% (257074 as opposed to 256421).

The Jan 2004 to March 2004 is -3.8% on the same period in 2003. The 'Moving Annual Total' is +4.4%.

Caslance
25th Apr 2004, 19:01
Thanks, dwlpl. It's still a massive improvement on the bad old days, whichever way up you look at it. :ok:

dwlpl
25th Apr 2004, 19:42
It 'tis at that.

I see that the shopping centre/building/waterway/airport owning group are to branch out into race course building and operators!

Is it to be named in the best tradition of the firm after a local celeb?

Who do you think it should be?

Caslance
25th Apr 2004, 19:53
dwlpl - check your PMs, mate.

dwlpl
25th Apr 2004, 20:03
Duly read mate.