PDA

View Full Version : Yank looking for a job in Africa

tittyjet
23rd Apr 2004, 18:33
I'm a yank who'd like to look into moving/commuting to Africa for contract/full time work...any advice/websites for someone with my experience?

Thanks.

FAA Commercial Multi/Single
Instrument
ATP Written

3010 Total Time
1695 Pilot-In-Command
1400 Multi Engine
900 Jet
500 Turboprop

Airline Experience -- CRJ-200 (Canadair Regional Jet)
SF-340B(Saab 340)

Corporate Experience-- Citation II, V, Bravo
Gulfstream II, III

B Sousa
24th Apr 2004, 03:34
Are things really that bad in the states.............?

I have to add in all seriousness, if you have not been there before, you should visit first, maybe check out the flying scene. Make friends with a South African Pilot and stick like glue to him if you plan on flying there . Mainly to learn the Ropes, the Food, the Water and Health issues while away from civilization.
Flying in some of Africa is not like moving from New York to Alabama. Its better compared as going from reality to the latest Harrison Ford Movie. As others in here who live the life and walk the walk will tell you, " Africa is not for Sissies". If you go there wide eyed with the good old "Im a Yank attitude" your in deep Sh1t.
Further if you think the pay in the states sucks...........grab your socks....

Gunship
24th Apr 2004, 05:54
Not much advise other than get all your injections and good luck :ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
26th Apr 2004, 09:39
Geezzzz, Bert...

Don't scare him off. We're running out of fresh meat here and some nice, fat foreign long pig would be a pleasant change on the braai from all these skinny locals.:E

Skaz
26th Apr 2004, 23:03
Bert & SRT, stop it! I'm laughing so hard I'm crying:{ :ok: :D

funny but now that I think about it, it was kinda strange that in all the years in Maun, there wasnt even one little yank....there was one big fat oke with a zillion of DC9 hours or sumthin, but he was too fat to fit inna 206, so nobody hired him:sad:

B Sousa
27th Apr 2004, 02:08
Skaz, just trying to give the guy a dose of whats in store. If hes serious he will visit and keep his mouth shut. Then if he likes it hes gonna have to hunker down and get some calous on his hands...
After a few paychecks then HE can give it the BTDT.......
By the way, any jobs for a Helicopter type Yank in Maun with about 7000 hours.........(SA Validated)
Ha Ha .......just joking I really dont like work. Anyway, they dont sell Bacardi Black there.

Skaz
29th Apr 2004, 16:13
actually.....PM me if youre interested, might be able to point you in the right direction...

PPRuNeUser0215
29th Apr 2004, 18:25
Actually I remember a US pilot in Maun (95/96). J.W who flew for Sefofane.

Taikonaut
1st May 2004, 16:57
Tj,

You should try Transafrik in Angola. Shouldn't be any problem with your quals. (you don't have to start off with light a/c). Lots of American pilots are employed there (ex-Southern Air guys). Last I heard they pay pretty well and I believe sim/ recurrent is in Texas (free ride home). I also believe it's 2 mo. on 2 mo. off. A good friend of mine has been there for years and love it. There primary equipments are 727s and C-130s.

Here's the website: http://www.transafrik.com/index.shtml

It's not that bad but go there with an open mind and you'll have a time of your life. Good luck.:ok: