PDA

View Full Version : ncl development @ standstill

nclfan
23rd Apr 2004, 11:02
Recently talk about alot of new roputes from ncl and terminal development, but it's all dried up now!

People so no spare stands during summer, so no possible development!!

Still no trans-atlantic except for ussual. Even EMA has announced 3 new long haul routes this week with FCA (who have disappeared from NCL).

So is they any NEW routes on the cards from NCL, especially long-hual or not?

MEFLYBE
23rd Apr 2004, 11:46
FCA are operating a SUN 763 SFB flight for the whole of the summer 2005 season.

Regards

Mike

Pembo330
23rd Apr 2004, 12:33
There are two routes I'd love to see into Newcastle; a Cancun flight and a New York scheduled flight. These are two routes I use all the time for holidays and am sick of having to travel to a far away airport or increase the travel time/reduce holiday time by making connections.

Newcastle is fine for Sanford, but anywhere else long haul - its not so good.

Bring in Continental into Newark as was rumoured a couple of years ago and I'm sure NCL could support a CUN flight on a 763. I'd even accept a 752 Newark flight; anything to start using the local airports more.

Wycombe
23rd Apr 2004, 12:49
....only a matter of time before a scheduled direct service from UK to CUN materialises, I reckon.

When I was there last year (travelled with AMM as was from LGW), our 763 shared the ramp on a Tues with 3 MYT a/c (2 330's and 763). There are also weekly BAL 763 and TCX 330.

My bet would be on VS with their "leisure" 744 fleet from LGW sometime in the next few years.

10 DME ARC
23rd Apr 2004, 13:03
No body seems to have picked it up yet but Thomas Cook are already selling Dom Republic from Newcastle next year on a Friday!
They are also doubling there SFB flights, dep Thur & Sat!!:)

Cancun a little far off our runway!:(

transwede
23rd Apr 2004, 19:54
For winter 2004/2005 BY are operating a weekly flight to SSH, which is kind of long haul!!

And for summer 05 there will be 4 weekly SFB flights, 2 x TCX, 1 x FCA and 1 x MON!!

NCL is getting there, but it is having to stunt new route and flight opportunites as they are RAPIDLY running out of check in desks and aircraft parking stands!!! Maybe a reason for the mobile check in hall for football charters and why easyJet are not expanding again until end of summer??

captainben
23rd Apr 2004, 20:17
As well as Air Scandic's charter.

transwede, where is SSH?

CentreFix25
23rd Apr 2004, 20:54
When the builders are finished on the 1st floor they are moving down to the concourse on the old side, that should solve the check-in problems.

J.

mmeteesside
24th Apr 2004, 07:37
I guess SSH is Sharm-el-Sheikh in Egypt?

mmeteesside
MME Movements (http://www.mmemovements.tk)

witchdoctor
24th Apr 2004, 11:46
Transwede,

Are MYT pulling the SFB from the schedule?

10 DME ARC
24th Apr 2004, 13:32
MYT only use their own 76's beginning and end of season, during the summer May - Oct they use MON A330 I believe.

expedite_climb
24th Apr 2004, 16:06
mmeteesside,

Correct - SSH = Sharm el Sheik, Egypt.

Hardly long haul though guys !

GrahamK
24th Apr 2004, 16:21
From NCL it would probably be a 6.5-7hr long flight?

MEFLYBE
24th Apr 2004, 16:56
from NCL the flight times are more likely to be approx 5.40 out and 6.20 back.

Regards

Mike

Deeko01
24th Apr 2004, 17:21
With regard to Continental and a New York service dont you think a lot of people from your part of the country will just go to Edinburgh instead?? a bit like the way Newcastle want to take Scottish pax away to NCL.

crewboi83
24th Apr 2004, 17:41
Its all ok NCL trying to attract these new routes..... one problem thought. SPACE!!! there isnt any!
Just been looking at summer programme and one one day there is 28 flights!! one problem! how many stands do we have? 26!! hmmmm all you need is a few summer delays and ur F**ked!
Heard that they are now parking the Eastern Airways jetstreams over at the old Gill Hanger!
Also one day there is 2 orlando's departing at the same time! no way will you get 2 A330's on the terminal at the same time, which means one will ave to go off stand.... and from a crew point of view! pain in the ass for boarding!
Is brilliant they are expanding all the shops, looks gud! cant w8 to see it all finished, but personally i think they are expanding the wrong end of the airport! try the check in areas and a/c stands!!!
We cant have all these passengers shopping and then not being able to get a parking space for their a/c

expedite_climb
24th Apr 2004, 18:34
MEFLYBE,

I'd agree on those times, or maybe even less. Last time I went to SSH from LGW it was about 45 mins less than that, and you'd save time going across the north sea....

There and back in a day unfortunately....

cheers.

CentreFix25
24th Apr 2004, 19:37
I don't think their worried about parking stands, when there is a frequent demand for 20+ stands to be used at the same time money will be made available from Copenhagen (who funded the current ongoing work) to add extra stands. Regarding the projected summer stand shortage, if they are all on the deck at the same time (like to see it!) then i expect the jetstreams to be parked two per stand. The terminal can and will cope with current pax numbers, if numbers increase at the current rate then 2-3 years time prehaps not.

J.

and regarding the Orlando flights, TCX A330 on a Thursday, returning Friday and MON A330 on a Saturday, returning Sunday. The SCY Orlando is expected to be a 757, no probs. Think NEW can cope with about 4 heavies at a time, although only Stand 9 can take up to a A330 all the others would be off pier.

J.

captainben
25th Apr 2004, 09:26
I emailed NCL Airport regarding the stands problem, they said no aircraft would be using the south side. I think the masterplan needs to arrive a bit earlier.

Stud3
25th Apr 2004, 09:45
Think NEW can cope with about 4 heavies at a time, although only Stand 9 can take up to a A330 all the others would be off pier

Really? and how do you then expect to coach say, 800 and odd people from the international coaching lounge which is full when in use by an A321??

I Just hope that the off pier flights will have staggered departure times otherwise the airlines are going to pick up massive airport facility delays.

Also looking forward to see if a few domestics are off pier on a morning! That coaching lounge is even worse and can probobly only hold about 30 people!:}

CentreFix25
25th Apr 2004, 11:08
Really? and how do you then expect to coach say, 800 and odd people from the international coaching lounge which is full when in use by an A321??

I would expect the passengers to be called flight at a time and block of seat numbers at a time, like they do at airports with airbridges and only one entrance to the aircraft. There is also no reason why a bus couldn't pull up outside another lounge, just because they are called domestic/international coach lounges doesn't mean they are any different to the other ones.

J.

10 DME ARC
25th Apr 2004, 13:11
Coaching - Any stand could be used for coaching and is at times.

As for calling wide body flights together, for a start the airport is slot controlled by ACL and then like centrefix has said you call the flights separately and then seats numbers. I have experienced long haul from NCL in 330-300's and even a 74 most times bussed to what was 15 and now 16 or 22 with no problem.

Yes we could do with more stands, but look at the likes of LHR or CDG I've waited 20-30 min inbound on the aircraft for the stand to become free!
:ok:

crewboi83
25th Apr 2004, 15:56
I'm talking from personal experience of working AT the airport day after day and not just those ppl who use the airport a few times a month to fly from.
Also talking from a Crew point of view! NCL just isnt big enough!
Gate 3 - Intl Coaching Lounge!! Its a laugh! one exit door, and its not very big! you would maybe fit the passengers of a A330 plus maybe a 737 AT A PUSH!! , and its not set out to board more than one flight at a time.
Gate 6 - Domestic coaching lounge - Urm, ive boarded 2 full jetstreams from there before, so your talking about 40-50 people, with most standing, and have you ever tried letting an imbounf flight through at the same time? ITS A NIGHTMARE!!!
If its anything like last year, there is a lack of coahes and their drivers. On the ground you find yourself being hurried to board because the coach is needed for flights that have just landed etc... its not enough! I can see major delays this summer!

Anyone who has travelled on a BA 757 from or to LHR will no what im talking about, it arrives on the INTL side of the airport, and you have to cross back through a single door middle of the pier to cross back to Domestic, its not only a right faff but very embarrasing for the staff doing it, you get a lot of Anti NCL Airport comments!
Personally I think a/c such as Fokker 100/70, jetsreams, CRJ's, ERJ's and maybe even 737's with a low passenger figure should be put off pier, 220 people on a A321 takes about 3-4 coaches. and they are a nightmare to board.

I really feel sorry for all the groundstaff based at NCL this summer, from check in, airport authority staff, etc etc.... its gonna be busy! there is hardly any check in space at 6am! ALL DESK in use! which means only 3 check in desks per flight, so expect Q's, complaints and more.... so basically, one or two typical summer charter delays and its thrown the spanner in the works!

Good luck Guys, your going to need it.

transwede
25th Apr 2004, 16:54
Has anyone at the operations department took a look at a saturady morning in particular, i.e where flights are going to check in and where passengers/aircraft board from?

2 TCX 757
2 BY 757
1 MYT 320
1 MYT 321
1 XLA 738
1 HH 734
1 MON A330
1 Spanair M83

plus on the scheduled side, AF ERJ, BA 320, BA 737, 5 EZY 737, SN RJ, KL F100, BE Dash 8

All between the hours of 0530-0900???

BY that they will need a few check in counters, considering airlines pay for a certain amount per aircraft???

I agree with what was said earlier, the masterplan needs bringing forward as it is all well and good attracting extra flights/new destinations and longhaul routes but the airport needs space!! MOre check in's, more stands and more security and ground personnel. Que's at security this winter have been horrendous! What is the point on having 5+ x-ray machines and only one is ever staffed and anyone passing through will have witnessed some of the que's at check in, even for a 757. God knows what it is going to be like peak summer??? (Que's outside or what about the mobile tent check in, being used for football charters????:} )

witchdoctor
25th Apr 2004, 17:29
crewboi,

not sure you're cunning plan could be fitted with a tail and called a weasel.;)

yes, sure you can park all the biggies on pier and offload/onload large numbers of pax without the need for coaching. that's fine.

however, do you really think that the airport has enough gates/coaches/drivers to simultaneously board several a/c parked off stand as would be the case? plus, can you really see ba accepting their pax and crew coached in from the remote stands after having parked up next to the knackered old emerald? i'd love to see their faces - it would be like arriving in darkest africa or afghanistan!

there simply aren't enough gates to allow simultaneous departures with coaching, especially if all the long haul guys are parked up for 60 minutes plus at the pier. sooner or later, regardless of the handling company, there would be an almighty cock up with pax loaded to the wrong coach, or taken to the wrong a/c. pax of little intelligence struggle to make it to the gate on time as it is, without complicating the system further.

no. park the big boys off stand and limit the scope for a cock up. yes it will be a pain in the bum to manage the numbers, but at least the frequency of flights is vastly reduced from the scheduled operators.

not an ideal situation, but there you go.:)

crewboi83
26th Apr 2004, 00:29
Whitchdoctor i fully understand what your saying. but coming from airport groundstaff point of view, its alot easier in terms of passengers in the coaching lounge. no lounge will fit the 300+ pax of an A330 or 767.
When coaching we normally only get one or two coaches to board passengers, which means doing multiple trips to and from the remote stand, its a pain in the Ass!!
this is the main thing as well..... if you take 80 passengers and dumb them at the aircraft side, they wonder round and go up any steps they please, so u end up with chaos in the cabin, mr and mrs bloggs got on at the front door, however they are sat in for 41!!! u see my point? for sum reason when you board an aircraft on stand, its easier... rows 1-20 front steps, 21-41 back steps and so on.....
for sum reason you pop the geese on a coach and they are off, brain left on the bus! just personal experience of the airport and its passengers, im sure both my idea and yours will be use during the summer, that is of course, after they have checkd in @ the mobile check in counter, in the long term car park..... popped in past the beer tent..... Q'd for 45 mins for the one security machine... then finally made their way past the army of girls in pink coats tryin to flog u EVERYTHING in duty free! NIGHTMARE!

And as for the BA comment.... i think you'll find that they do get off stand quite a bit... especally the 757 flights. only stand 3 is reserved for BA, with all these EZY 737's round BA have kinda been out numbered.... so they LGW 737 gets put wherever there is space, normally with the rest of the airport.... in the long term car park!!!

witchdoctor
26th Apr 2004, 09:08
crewboi,

Whatever happens, I'm sure it will be an interesting summer, especially as it will be my first. Are you allowed to fraternise with the 'enemy' from next door?;) If so, maybe you'll say hi sometime.

See you on the ramp no doubt.:D

crewboi83
26th Apr 2004, 13:27
I no longer work on the ground, only did for the winter, work for a well known charter airline, prob the only one that your company will handle, so thay may giv a clue to who i work for lol!
Anyway drop me a pvt message, then ill know who u are, and then i will say hi, when im standing at the bottom of the front steps for those many early morning departures we ave this year!