PDA

View Full Version : SuSe 8.1 + WIN2K boot choice

amanoffewwords
23rd Apr 2004, 09:24
I have a desktop with Win2k and Suse 8.1 installed on different partitions. When I boot the PC it offers me the choice of one or the other (this feature was installed by the SuSe distro hence not controlled by autoexec.bat or similar)

How to I get it to default to Windows instead of Linux i.e offer Windows as first choice and Linux/Suse as second? I suspect it's a tweak within SuSe but I can't find anything anywhere).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Charles

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
23rd Apr 2004, 12:46
AMOFW,

I use neither Suse Linux nor XP (on a multiboot machine), so don't know how relevant this is, but does this link (http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2002/10/fhassel_grub_nt.html) help ?

Tinstaafl
23rd Apr 2004, 18:58
SuSe will have installed a boot loader, either Grub or LiLo.

Procedure is a bit different between the two but in a nutshell you need to locate the configuration file for the loader & change the default boot selection. The configuration file will be a plain text file so you can edit it with text editor.

Can't remember the exact details for each of these however there's plenty of info on the internet if you do a search.

amanoffewwords
23rd Apr 2004, 20:08
Thanks all,

very good link RTFM, thanks.

TCS, the boot feature I have was installed automatically by SuSe - quite brilliant but was always defaulting to SuSe- didn't want to complicate my life with a proper boot program since I only use SuSe for fun/learning hence was wondering if there was a simple solution.

The winner is Tinstaafl - it is using Grub and editing the loader did the trick - thanks a million.

Cheers
Charles