PDA

View Full Version : Data Protection Act

The Invisible Man
23rd Apr 2004, 09:11
Briefly.. my son has had monetry problems and sent a request to a company called Equ***x for his credit file.

When this file arrived it has all my personal credit details, mortage, credit cards, anything I've had finance for, listed on his application, including amounts borrowed and owing.

I telephoned said company and was told they can release any information about residents of the address. If I wanted my details taken off I would have to disassociate myself from my children.....(something I should have done years ago) :E

So what is the Data Protection act all about then:mad: :mad: :mad:

Lukeafb1
23rd Apr 2004, 09:17
Proot,

Having, in my official capacity, spent years looking into your nefarious activities, I now find that another organisation has been doing the same unpalatable digging. I'm sure a joint meeting with them will throw up enough evidence to ensure your removal from society for the forseeable future. Thanks for the information.:E

The Invisible Man
23rd Apr 2004, 09:21
Be careful lukeafb1

I have friends in high places who can reduce your posts to zero at the drop of a hat!!

That'll teach ya :E

Lukeafb1
23rd Apr 2004, 09:28
Where are they, the fourth floor of the Scrubs??:p

Groundbased
23rd Apr 2004, 09:28
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3642541.stm

TIM, you may find this article of interest. Rules are currently changing about access to information.

In terms of lending it's always been a tricky one this. Years ago it was my job to decide who got lent money and who didn't for a large finance house. I left because the whole thing was becoming too automated. As individuals we had the authority and responsiblility to assess each case on it's merits. We were able to put an interpretation on the information we were looking at. Computers find that much harder.

M.Mouse
23rd Apr 2004, 09:56
The Data Protection Act was of course necessary but is now being used like Health and Safety as a stick to beat the beleagured consumer with!

I had a problem with a system fitted to my girlfriends car. I paid for the car and the aftermarket system but because it is all registered in her name the company refused to even discuss the problem citing the 'Data Protection Act!'

Grrrrr!

The Invisible Cat
23rd Apr 2004, 11:38
T.I.M.I have friends in high places who can reduce your posts to zero at the drop of a hat!!
That would make him a potential candidate for The Zero Club. :uhoh:
Although it is clear we would turn our backs to him, one wouldn't like that person to be at the same rank as us. :yuk:

One would rather have him stuck at summat like 51 p**ts for life. :E :E

Lukeafb1
23rd Apr 2004, 11:42
I, of course don't have to use ranks. I've got my own car!!!:p

The Invisible Man
23rd Apr 2004, 11:46
Groundbased,

Thanks for that informative link.

T.I.C.

See what you mean about Lukeafb1. Will you, or should I arrange for the deed. Is 51 for life ok with you? Or maybe 13 which could be very unlucky for him:E

Oh dear Lukeafb1 , you have done it now

Ropey Pilot
23rd Apr 2004, 17:35
Had my bike nicked at Uni. In some places you (apparently) have to have a permit to sell 2nd hand bikes, so bloke went to police station for one for my bike (now minus serial number), got tounge tied and basically admitted he nicked it!

I went to collect said bike (now minus front wheel) and eventually court awarded me 60 in compensation to replace the wheel.

Toerag who nicked it gave the court a false address and sauntered off. After many phone calls I finally suggested that they track him down from where he collects his benefit. I was told they couldn't access this information because of the Data Protection Act!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

spork
23rd Apr 2004, 19:14
The "Airline" programme recently had some Easyjet bods refusing to let a chap know if his wife was going to be on a certain flight because of "Data protection reasons". It makes you wonder where it all ends dunnit?

bjcc
23rd Apr 2004, 20:27
The Airline program is right....Apparently even before this act airlines were reluctant to tell spouces anything...too many cases of people being met at the airport returning from a trip doing the buisness....apparently!

Davaar
23rd Apr 2004, 21:21
bjjc, even worse:

Airline had a crash; all aboard killed; nominal lists made up; PR given sad task of notifying next-of-kin; telephone call; lady's voice, Hello?; Dreadfully sorry, Mr and Mrs John Smith both killed, Terribly sorry; But I am Mrs Smith; You are talking to Mrs Smith; What's that?; YOU are Mrs Smith?; emmm; please hold a minute; we'll check; So very sorry, it seems there is an error in our records; we'll get back to you.

Perhaps there was an error in who "Mrs Smith" in the airline was, but she was travelling with Mr Smith, adjoining seats. PR made up a story to cover the truth.

Is a lie ALWAYS immoral?

SuperOwl
23rd Apr 2004, 21:31
I got sacked from a job many years ago for breaching the Data Protection Act.

I had a job where I had to vet applications for credit on behalf of a large organisation. One day, a fellow who by his accent was clearly Asian and the fact that the number display said he was calling from Bradford were quite normal, nothing to worry about. He then gave a very English sounding name and an address that was at the other end of the country and also a phone number for this address.

I put the guy on hold and checked with directory enquiries whether the name, address and number checked out. It did. I asked the caller a few questions along the lines of was he on a day off, was he at home? He answered yes. I put him on hold and rang the number he had given me, the real Mr Bloggs answered the phone. Clearly a fraud was being attempted so I gave the guy details of organisations to get in touch with asap, namely CIFAS and also my contact number should he need anymore help.

I then got in touch with our fraud department giving details of where the guy was calling from and they told me to keep stalling for time while the police went around to see the caller. Soon enough, I heard them knock on the door. It transpired that this guy ran a seemingly legitimate business and was using details he had got from his own customers to defraud them. I understand he was tried and was sent down for a couple of years.

My reward? Sacked for telling the real Mr Bloggs why I had called him and for advising what he should do as a matter of urgency. Abreach of the Data Protection Act allegedly. It was his business after all and he was extremely grateful I can tell you.

The job was shit anyway.