PDA

View Full Version : Living in the 80s: A-Team or Knightrider

_spanky_
22nd Apr 2004, 23:21
Whilst recently forcibly subjecting some youngsters to multiple re-runs of the above (for I fear the upcoming generation shall be morally stunted through lack of exposure to such shows) a dilemma suddenly struck me, the likes of which I have not encountered since the days of Transformers (re: quandary of how Megatron is bigger than Starscreem in robot form, yet when he transforms into a gun, he fits in Starscreem's hand)

So, the choice is simple:
The A-Team
- or -
Knightrider

I would have included Duke of Hazzard in the line up, but I find the incestuous sexual tension between Daisy and Luke, who evidently would have liked nothing more than to "give her one" over the bonnet of the General Lee, too psychologically disturbing to dedicate any about of thought time to

Jerricho
22nd Apr 2004, 23:27
A-Team without a doubt.

"I pitty the fool who has a dodgy mullet haircut and drives around in a car that talks to him and goes on to be a major recording star in Germany, and produces and stars in Baywatch......."

(Hang on, Baywatch isn't a bad thing!)

_spanky_
22nd Apr 2004, 23:44
Although I am an A-Team man myself, perhaps someone could explain this soundbite (http://www.jaspong.force9.co.uk/BAJazz.wav) for me?

Who'stheDaddy
22nd Apr 2004, 23:46
Its gotta be Knight rider purely for the opening sequence and of course the music + there was that brainy women (token eye candy) who worked in the truck cant remember her name but no incest there!! shows how pioneering shows like The Dukes of Hazard were - storylines being copied my Eastenders.

I remeber watchin one of those "I love 198....." programmes" General motors did make a special edition "KITT" firebird. Someone in the US tried to jump a gap (or whatever) crashed and then tried to sue GM - Production stopped shorlty afterwards!!

(what about Airwolf???)
WTD

Ozzy
22nd Apr 2004, 23:51
A Team

Ozzy

PS Starsky & Hutch for the 70s...watching it now it was still a bit OTT for mainstream TV at the time

Paracab
23rd Apr 2004, 01:05
"If you have a problem, if no one else can help and if you can find them, maybe you can hire The A Team.".

In 1972 a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court, for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team.

The A Team. Hands down, everytime. Who else can carry out the missions they did armed only with bubblegum, string and a soldering iron ? (OK can't rememer the exact items but that isn't far off !!)

Jerricho
23rd Apr 2004, 01:11
Magyver was pretty good with that sort of thing. He could make a nuke with an alarm clock, some wire and a condom.

chuks
23rd Apr 2004, 07:40
I am surprised and disappointed that anyone here can overlook the 360° naffness of 'Knightrider' and even consider 'The A-Team'.

A show where the main prop came off as more intelligent than the star... puh-leeze! It was just so, so, magnificently stupid! So... American! Everything revolved around a guy with a snazzy hairdo and 'hip' clothes driving around talking to his car, when the car came off as the brainy one. Not 'brainy' brainy, just way smarter than the average Ponticac Firebird and smarter than David Hasselhoff. (Having just been pulled up short by the magnificent Bubbette over calling George W. Bush a 'loser' I hesitate here to state categorically that David H. is dumber than rocks. Perhaps he has a brain the size of a planet and excels at playing characters who are dumber than rocks. That said, I would say that if there was ever someone who exemplified 'Lights on, folks not home,' it would have to be him. But then I am not a rich and famous actor so that if he is dumb what does that make me?)

I remember one episode where they put KITT up on a garage lift. I thought, 'This is going to be interesting! I wonder how it gets out of this fix?' I think I dozed off, but I cannot remember how they resolved that dilemma.

The A-team did manage to expend a lot of rounds without ever actually killing anyone but the three or four of them, however many it was, all together couldn't be as dumb as just one man talking to his car.

Engineer
23rd Apr 2004, 08:32
Surely the A team was developed from the pilot show Blue Peter amazing what you can do with a piece of sticky back plastic and a used bog roll get down Shep :{

DBChopper
23rd Apr 2004, 08:33
"I ain't going in no plane, fool!"

And with that eloquent quote, B A Baraccus and his A Team colleagues nudge further into the lead...

I wonder if Howling Mad Murdoch browses these pages?

topcat450
23rd Apr 2004, 08:33
The A-Team for me everytime, B.A. falling for the drugged milkshake/burger everytime they needed to get him on a 'plane.

And Hanibal..."I love it when a plan comes together!"

Knightrider..pah, not even in the same league. Airwolf and StreetHawk were cool too.

Mr Chips
23rd Apr 2004, 08:39
Why choose? Whatever the failings of them, each is far superior to the rubbish that is on these days......

I would LOVE an accelerator pedal with little lights on it like KITT had... and as for the episode where KITT went up against KARR

wow

Paul Hardcastle is on the radio singing 19. I am having a nostalgia fest!!!

Aileron Roll
23rd Apr 2004, 08:44
A TEAM !

CHIPS was a good one also !

Mr Chips
23rd Apr 2004, 08:50
CHIPS was a good one also !
Why thank you Aileron Roll

:O

Morpheme
23rd Apr 2004, 09:23
A-Team hands down. How did Face always manage to sneak Murdock out of mental hospital with the same implausible excuses?

Anyway, haven't you noticed how camp Knightrider was? David Hasselhoff in tight black leather pants and lip gloss, ignoring the fluff in the trailer, preferring to spend quality time in a car with a voice so gay that other cars probably thought it was mincing?

_spanky_
23rd Apr 2004, 11:18
Mr T, aka Laurence Tureaud, from which came such musical works of art as "Treat your mother right" and "Mr.T's Commandments" was voted 11th greatest TV character of all time for his role as BA Baracus. Channel 4 said: "Played by Mr T the unmistakable ex-wrestler and former bodyguard to Muhammed Ali - he dripped with gold, drove the van and was a dab hand at knocking up a cabbage-firing anti-aircraft gun using only available household implements."

There have also been numerous campaigns for a presidential bid, probably fueled by his handling of the
Bin Laden crisis (http://www.onzin.net/files/flash/32142_mrtvsbinlandin.swf)

So, who was the ultimate 80s TV icon?

Ozzy
23rd Apr 2004, 11:29
Ooer _spanky_:uhoh:

Ultimate 80's TV icon? Vivian from the Young Ones:E

Ozzy

DuckDodgers
23rd Apr 2004, 11:30
Well it has to be The A-Team really doesn't it! Never in the history of television production have SO MANY BULLETS BEEN FIRED and not a single person been killed, incredible.

Bob Upndown
23rd Apr 2004, 13:14
A Team, by a mile!

Re the spraying bullets and no-one gets killed thing, I seem to remember reading somewhere that the producers of the A-Team issued at edict right at the start to the effect of 'no-one is to be killed'.

Sometimes, it got a little extreme, I remember the episode where a helicopter flew into a cliff, exploded and fell to the ground. Cut to shot of pilots clambering from smoking wreck:confused:

Hawaii Five-O anyone??????

IB4138
23rd Apr 2004, 13:48
Bring back "Buck Rogers in the 21st Century"!:ok:

DuckDodgers
23rd Apr 2004, 15:19
IB,

Col Wilma Deering, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Mostly Harmless
23rd Apr 2004, 15:51
Air Wolf… Buck Rodgers…. I am howling with laughter. Oh the memories.

I’m surprised no has mentioned Miami Vice. So cool, such a slick soundtrack. Why I can’t count the number on times I’ve been pulled over by 2 pastel wearing cops driving a Ferrari.

Speaking of Ferrari, Magnum PI anyone.

How about the short-lived show that made fun of Miami Vice, Hunter, Dirty Harry and many more… Sledge Hammer. The Birth of Police Squad.

Battlestar Galactica… That commander Adama sure had a hotie for a daughter.

TV sucks now.

Ozzy
23rd Apr 2004, 16:05
Hill Street Blues - bluudy Brilliant stuff

Ozzy

Ropey Pilot
23rd Apr 2004, 16:08
I we are talking about naff 80's telly and Battlestar Galactica comes up surely Blakes 7 with that talking fishtank (ORAC???) is worth a mention.

If I remember rightly Blake wasn't even in most of it...

IB4138
23rd Apr 2004, 17:45
OK..I'ii admit it....
I bought the Miami Vice soundtrack tape!

Ok! No abuse please.:{

Boy_From_Brazil
23rd Apr 2004, 17:57
When my son was a mere boy we met Mr T at the opening of a new burger bar in the West End of London. My lad asked for Mr T's autograph - "No problem buddy - How do you spell Adam?".

No wonder they never hit anyone!

BFB

_spanky_
23rd Apr 2004, 18:01
My *cough* son, eh?

Yeah, right . . . . Adam :E

Who'stheDaddy
24th Apr 2004, 01:47
Why did Mr T always fall on the Horn???

Who said Magnum? Brilliant

Donald Belesario(something like that) - always the producer of classic 80's TV -A team, airwolf, "the fall guy" -remember that!!!!.... . and quantam leap

and Buck rogers

Col Wilma Deering was in the pilot of Magnum P.I.

(what about "V" - Diana was anothe looker of the 80's!!)

WTD

DistantRumble
24th Apr 2004, 18:42
Knight Rider is getting a facelift

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,9681,00.html

ShyTorque
24th Apr 2004, 21:02
Duck Dodgers has brought up a very valid point regarding the A-Team.

"Never in the history of television production have SO MANY BULLETS BEEN FIRED and not a single person been killed"

I agree 100%.

As a serving military person, I refused to let my son watch it. I thought it dangerous twaddle, still do. Weapons, mines, bullets, explosions and car crashes should never be trivialised and sanitised for entertainment. It seemed ridiculous to allow our kids to see this stuff whilst our armed forces were losing men to such devices.

That far-fetched computer car and ol' Boss Hogg were stupid but harmless by comparison. We used to slow down the video and point out the front structure of the cars collapsing when they landed after the jumps. Anyway, it was either that or Daisy Duke bending over the car whilst wearing those tiny little shorts........:E

Jerricho
24th Apr 2004, 21:22
Not only were so many bullets fired and nobody killed.................they never ever stopped to re-load!! Great stuff.

WTD mentioning "V". Now there was a great series. I'll never forget when you saw Diana do the "Watch me eat a rat in one go trick". A skill I'm sure that would have taken her far.

_spanky_
24th Apr 2004, 22:29
*Donning monogrammed A-Team Anorak*
Some people did actually die, 2 members of the A Team were shot, and they did infact commit the crime they claim not to have committed :ooh:

Check out the merchandising (http://members.aol.com/immurdoc/a-team/stuff.htm): absolutely brilliant :ok: My personal favourite is the BA tea tray

Think you can do better? Write your own episode (http://members.aol.com/immurdoc/a-team/writestuff.htm)

Part of an Interview between Terry Wogan and George Peppard (Hannibal)

TW: There's obviously criticism with children watching the show, the violence...

GP: Yes... I don't think so. I think... The A-team are either the worst shots in the world... they take a machine gun and blow everything up... but it's good because it tells everyone to begin with, "We're out for fun.. there's going to be no blood, there's going to be no horror here." Er, you know what we intend, you know we don't like the bad guys, and we do defeat them, I think its good. It also gave us some leeway into farce, because bascially, the best thing about the A Team to me was when we came close to what I just think is the funniest people in the world - Monty Python - ...when you have something that is utterly ridiculous that's treated with absolute seriousness, and when we did that well, I thought we were very funny.

(here Edward Woodward comes in with his own ideas on TV vioence and agrees with G's assesment of The A-Team)

GP: yeah there's a strange rule NBC has, that if you have a pistol in your hand and your gonna point it at somebody, you may point it at their heart, but you may not point it at there head; now there is a piece of network logic. There's a joke in California, I don't know if you have it on this side of the ocean but I'll repeat it quicky: The difference between a dead cat in the road and a dead Televison Executive are there are skid marks in front of the cat.

(Everyone laughs. Terry Wogan thanks all three guests).

IMHO there is a lot worse things for kids to be watching. If you're going to avoid everything trivialsing "weapons, mines, bullets, explosions and car crashes" what you going to watch?! Seen the listing recently? More to the point, seem some of the tripe they produce as cartoons these days? You want desensitization to war, guns and death take a look at computer games

Talking of tripe, anyone ever see "Ferris Buellers Day Off"? That had to be one of the worst films to come out of the 80s (its on now)

Jerricho
25th Apr 2004, 03:24
Bowp, Bowp..................Chicka-chickaaaaaaaaaaa!

Ropey Pilot
28th Apr 2004, 16:13
Jerricho,

Wasn't that same piece of music used in 'The Secret Of My Success' starring Michael J Fox?

(You know, the film where he played himself, but this time he was in business - as opposed to all the other films where he played himself):ok: