PDA

View Full Version : Charter Market

Xtra
22nd Apr 2004, 19:30
How is the Charter market doing in South Africa or even better in JHB......?
Seems like not much work around........comments from anyone..
Just under 3000 Hours and all "CV`s PLACED ON FILE, THANKYOU, PLEASE SUBMIT UPDATED CV IN 6 MONTHS"
Would like to hear from you guys with+/- similar hours battling for work.

Cheers

SP-IFR
23rd Apr 2004, 07:08
Charter market seems to have fallen asleep in Cape Town!
A whopping 7 hours for April, as opposed to a monthly average of 20.
There are some pilots getting really nervous about what they're gonna eat in the next few weeks!

Carrier
3rd May 2004, 06:33
Is 20 hours average per month typical for a charter pilot in South Africa? How does one get by on the income from 20 hours per month, which without trying to be rude does seem to be a very part-time job? Surely the average charter pilot gets far more than 20 hours per month in normal times???? SP-IFR, I hope the last week of April was busy for you to put something on the table!
It would be interesting to learn what the monthly averages are in various African countries for both year-round and seasonal charter pilots.

Shandy
3rd May 2004, 07:16
Hey Guys,

I was in Joburg, but moved down to CT last month and I tell you what, it's tough everywhere!

December was ok in Jhb, but it went downhill from there. If we flew once a fornight, we were happy. I did one flight in CT last month, so the work is about half down here.

Contracts are the only guys who fly, but then you're in the bush and with the exchange rate taking a wobbly, the pay ain't so good anymore.

Last month I sent out 10 CV's and not one reply. My best mate has not been able to get a job for nearly a year!

What do we do?

S.

Flying Bean
3rd May 2004, 16:57
Hi Xtra,
Where are you hiding??
I have now sent you 3 x emails and 2 x PMs with no response??
If you are serious about job hunting please check your email!
Flying Bean

I have just tried your PM again and see that is now "closed". Not a good move !!

Same to some of you other job seekers out there. I have been corresponding with several on the "Jobs for Africa", but have had 4 'no responses' in the last 6 weeks.

Shandy
4th May 2004, 07:09
Hey Flying Bean,

Spill the Beans man! Where do I send my CV?

Tks
S.

Xtra
4th May 2004, 19:43
Hi Flying Bean

Have just sent you email and PM.

Xtra

George Tower
5th May 2004, 19:41
I seem to be aware that NAC / National Airlines have suspended their service from FACT to Springbok/Kliensee/Alexander Bay. Do they still do any flying at all out of FACT?

Shandy
5th May 2004, 20:19
George,

Yip that is correct. Heard the guys still have their jobs, but when I spoke to PB he told me things were very quiet.

Shows you how bad things are, that West Coast run has been going for years.

S.

George Tower
5th May 2004, 22:34
I wonder why things are so quiet. I know aviation as an industry is up and down more often than a tart's knickers but I have noticed a few other routes have been shelved in the past year. Airlink no longer do PE to Bloemfontein and Nationwide knocked their service from East London to FAJS on the head.

I know that globally things are a bit uncertain but here in SA economically speaking things are not too bad at all. I wonder if it lack of pax or an increase in costs that has hit these routes.