PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Blue's huge Blue

Wirraway
22nd Apr 2004, 18:57
Fri "National Business Review" NZ

Pacific Blue's huge blue
Deborah Hill Cone

New airline Pacific Blue has made an embarrassing blunder _ sending an 11-page confidential marketing document to the advertising team of fierce rival Freedom Air.

The papers, which set out details of Pacific Blue's branding plans and advertising requirements, were sent by its Australian-based head office to advertising agency DDB.

A division of DDB, Wow Rapp Collins, does award-winning work for Air New Zealand's cut-price subsidiary Freedom Air.

The Richard Branson-backed airline is in the process of choosing an advertising agency in this country and the papers were intended to brief prospective agencies about its requirements.

The gaffe does not appear to have been a mistake in typing an email address but a failure of Virgin Blue, running its New Zealand operations by remote control from Australia, to research the local market.

As a result Pacific Blue's rival now knows:

* how Pacific Blue views its "brand personality;"

* who it wants to "capture;"

* how it plans to manage its marketing; and

* what kind of budget it has to spend on marketing _ that is, not much.

The document has raised eyebrows in the advertising industry, not just because of the stuff-up of being sent to a competitor but in its tone and attitude.

"It's the most arrogantly worded document I've ever seen _ and that's saying something," one veteran adman said.

His agency was invited to pitch but turned down the invitation, which appeared to be offering the chance of working round the clock practically for nothing.

Pacific Blue has told agencies it expects its brand to occupy their every thought and warned them they would get briefs at odd hours of the night. But it claims they should be happy to do this for very little remuneration in return for the status of having the Pacific Blue brand on their roster.

"If you already have a number of strong brands in your stable and don't need us to enhance the value of your agency and you plan to charge us your standard fees, please don't pitch," reads the document, sent by Katrina Dowling of Virgin Blue in Australia.

Potential agencies are also told they will have to kowtow to their Australian counterpart, Cummins & Associates, run by former New Zealand Mojo managing director Sean Cummins.

Ms Dowling told The National Business Review Pacific Blue had sent the pitch documents out to all agencies that had expressed an interest or had been recommended.

She said despite the document being sent from Australia the process had been a joint one with its New Zealand operation.

23-Apr-2004

===========================================

Ralph the Bong
23rd Apr 2004, 03:10
I have always found it amazing that same companies have developed a cult that surrounds their product. When I was a kid, many companies marketed their products by selling stickers(Levis, Rip Curl etc.), posters and other paraphenalia. My view was that it was marketing genius to entice people to pay to advertise your product. Perhaps Ms. Dowling should be commended for attempting to extent this approach from the consumer to the supplier , but I dont think it's going to work.

It's self-evident that advertisers are in the business to make money and one can anticipate that they will be equally as hard-headed as Virgin when it comes to charging for services provided. The cult of the Virgin product has been successful to date for Mr. Branson with regard employee relations. However, to expect suppliers to also offer their services for diminished tangible benefits is, as the veteran adman said, the height of arrogance.

Is the next step to write to Boeing, Rayethon, Shell etc. and tell them that they should supply their products cheaper for the 'privilage' of association with Virgin?

Ms. Dowlings assertion that marketing the Virgin brand will automatically "enhance the value of your agency" provides insight as to the corporate ethos within this chain of companies. However, I dont think that the Admen are so dumb as to fall for this one. I can imagine a few laughs in the tea rooms of the ad. agencies of New Zealand the morning after this document was sent out!

I share Deborah Hill Cone's dismay that a sensitive proposal could be sent to a rival's agency; this is not just a "gaffe", but amature hour.

Perhaps Sir Richard is getting that talent that he pays for.

Ty Webb
23rd Apr 2004, 06:49
Not bad coming from someone who calls himself, " Ralph the Bong"????