PDA

View Full Version : 3000 killed in N. Korea train blast

Bubbette
22nd Apr 2004, 15:03
Wow. That is a lot of people.

Report: Trains Explode in North Korea

By SANG-HUN CHOE, Associated Press Writer

SEOUL, South Korea - As many as 3,000 people were killed or injured Thursday when two trains carrying oil and liquefied petroleum gas collided and exploded in a North Korean train station near the Chinese border, South Korean media reported.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=1&u=/ap/20040422/ap_on_re_as/nkorea_train_explosions

Binoculars
22nd Apr 2004, 15:09
3000??? When two goods trains collided??? Just what in God's name do they classify as goods over there?:ooh:

G-ALAN
22nd Apr 2004, 15:11
Jesus wept! 3000? are you sure? Surely that must make it one of the worst rail disasters in history! :(

Stockpicker
22nd Apr 2004, 15:11
In a station, Binos.

GroundGirl
22nd Apr 2004, 15:19
Jeeze, thats awful :(

Bubbette
22nd Apr 2004, 15:19
The trains were carrying oil and natural gas. I guess they must have exploded in the station and destroyed it.

ssultana
22nd Apr 2004, 15:31
Probably North Korean gov't spending nothing on safety and 20% GDP on military had something to do with the accident.

BRL
22nd Apr 2004, 15:31
It is not 3000 killed as you state in your heading for this thread. I would say there are a lot more injured rather than dead.

Interesting to note the crap journalism in the report on Yahoo. They say the North Korean leader passed through nine(9)hours earlier, so what, that has nothing to do with the incident in hand has it, also they go back on their headline saying "The number killed or injured could reach 3,000" emphasis being on the word 'could'.

Terrible incident I agree but really poor journalism to boot.

Stockpicker
22nd Apr 2004, 15:34
True, BRL , but it's probably also fair to point out that there appears to be a comms blackout in the region - according to the Beeb they have taken all phone lines down in the area to try and stop further news getting out. Maybe some inaccuracy is par for the course in that case.

Onan the Clumsy
22nd Apr 2004, 15:57
according to the Beeb they have taken all phone lines down in the area Maybe the explosion took down all the phone lines in the area. :rolleyes:

Kalium Chloride
22nd Apr 2004, 18:53
Er...actually, the presence of the North Korean leader might have had everything to do with it. I've heard that when he travels, the entire rail line on which his train is running gets shut to all other traffic - resulting in backlogs, chaos and possibly enough mayhem to lead to a gigantic fark-up.

Not that I'd want facts to get in the way of the usual PPRuNe uninformed opinion... ;)

Dead_Heading
22nd Apr 2004, 19:02
BeeB says :

"Up to 3,000 people have been killed or injured in a huge explosion after two fuel trains collided in North Korea, reports say. "

The government will probably not release anything about it to their own people for a few weeks, and a few more before they admit it to us.

chuks
22nd Apr 2004, 20:10
In a Stalinist society, such as North Korea's, the leader leads everything, so that any disaster reflects upon his leadership. Check out the propaganda paintings with Kim Il Sung showing the dummy engineers where to site the hydroelectric dam, say. The Big Man can do everything except have babies, and even there he probably dishes out some useful advice to expectant mothers.

Thus a disaster is quite a hot potato in political terms and cannot be treated as a normal news item. In fact, in a Stalinist state there are no normal news items; everything is carefully judged against the desired image that must be presented to a hostile, counter-revolutionary outside world. Objective truth doesn't come into it at all.

Remember that North Korean missile test, with a non-existent satellite whizzing around playing patriotic songs?

It will be interesting to see how they spin this one. Sabotage?

Boss Raptor
22nd Apr 2004, 23:25
Rumour has it they dont have petroleum etc. it was probably excess fermentation of cabbages

..and unfortunately they dont give a damn about people and they are never going to tell the truth or will you get the true picture...so frankly who cares it's North Korea :cool:

visibility3miles
23rd Apr 2004, 01:59
Regardless of the quality of journalism on Yahoo, that's exactly the same story I've been hearing on various radio stations here.

However, North Korea seems to have imposed a news blackout, so we'll probably never know for sure.

The point about a backlog of trains after the private train went though is a good one, and I never would have thought of it.

Sadly, another comment I heard on the radio is that North Korea's medical system will probably be overwhelmed initially by a disaster of this magnitude. They may not be keen on asking the International Red Cross for assistance either.

Very sad.

Paracab
23rd Apr 2004, 02:20
Hey Boss, thats a little harsh.

The people caught up in all this, for all we know, may not necessarily agree with their so called leaders policies, and, after all, are humans/women and children.

They are still people, wherever they live.

Its a bloody awful disaster.

Buster Hyman
23rd Apr 2004, 02:44
Interesting to note that the Leader of a "relatively" small country like N. Korea uses trains to get around. Fear of flying, worried about missiles or just no JetA1 around?

I feel sorry for people who are continually ground into the dirt by despots & Stalinist wannabee's. These people need our help & as much as I have no time for their leadership, I hope they can get some aid from wherever.:(

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/04/23/ryong.jpg

visibility3miles
23rd Apr 2004, 02:55
BH, that's a photo of the train station taken last May, so it isn't current.

I don't have a link, but here's the caption that ran with that photo in a story I read:

"A satellite photo of the North Korean city of Ryongchon taken May 13, 2003 shows the train line running from the top left of the image to the bottom center. Up to 3,000 people were killed or injured when two fuel-laden trains collided and exploded at a North Korean station in the center of Ryongchon near the Chinese border just hours after leader Kim Jong-il had passed through, according to South Korean media. Photo by Digitalglobe/Reuters "

Buster Hyman
23rd Apr 2004, 03:25
Fair enough v3m, what happened there in May? Looks like a fire in the photo...:confused:

Gainesy
23rd Apr 2004, 09:02
Red Cross official in Beijing says 54 dead and 1,249 injured.

visibility3miles
23rd Apr 2004, 15:30
Answer hazy, ask again later.

I must admit, I do not know what is going on there.

Bubbette
23rd Apr 2004, 19:03
It must be bad if they are asking for help: http://www.thisislondon.com/news/articles/PA_NEWPOLITICSKoreaFri17Railhelp?source=

N Korea wants help after rail crash
23 April 2004

North Korea has asked for international help following the rail disaster, the UN said.

"A formal request for international assistance in response to the disaster was received by the UN Humanitarian Co-ordinator in Pyongyang from the government," said the UN.

peb
23rd Apr 2004, 19:31
They have said 150 died so far.

con-pilot
23rd Apr 2004, 20:35
Iím with Bubbette on this one, for the North Koreans to ask for help it must be really bad.:(