PDA

View Full Version : Update Failure with Office XP, also unable to Replace/Repair.

BlueEagle
22nd Apr 2004, 11:42
I believe I've seen some useful stuff here on this subject but try as I might I can't pull it up with the Search facility.

Anyone able to point in the right direction please?

Auto Update says that I may have the wrong version of MS Installer or have deleted some .dll files, when I try to do a Replace and repair with the CD it gives messages that don't make sense and having manually downloaded SP3 it won't install either and says the version of the product could not be found!

OfficeXP is, otherwise, working normally.

Would very much appreciate any 'pointers' please. Thanks.

fobotcso
22nd Apr 2004, 13:05
Are you using Windows XP as well? Pro or Home? Is it fully updated with SP1 and Security patches? On the Microsoft site, you can get an updated version of Installer, but it is unlikely that that is the real problem.

You say "when I try to do a Replace and repair with the CD it gives messages that don't make sense".

Nevertheless it would be helpful if you told us what the error messages were. It's surprising how much useful info can be unearthed with a phrase or two of apparent gibberish.

Was Office XP installed when you got the PC or was it pre-installed with a manufacturers Volume Licensing Key? If not, is your CD the same one that was used to install Office XP. I assume that you have the Product Key. You could always do a full uninstall/reinstall. You wouldn't lose your work.

Questions, questions.... But they all have a purpose.

Saab Dastard
22nd Apr 2004, 17:38
Blue Eagle,

I assume that you have tried the MS support site?

Search the Knowledge Base for some or all of the error message that you are getting and you might turn up a helpful article.

SD

BlueEagle
22nd Apr 2004, 21:37
Thanks very much.

Yes am using XPPro, (fully updated), as the OS and Yes, Office came installed with it's own CD. Will go throuh the motions again and copy down the messages, will go to the MS support site and then tell you how it did or didn't work out!:\
Cheers,
BE

fobotcso
22nd Apr 2004, 21:57
Thanks BlueEagle, we await your return.

You say "Office came installed with it's own CD".

If the PC came from a major supplier, it is likely that the software was loaded from an "OEM" source and has a product ID that is different from the CD you have.

I mention this because sometimes these OEM licences are not granted update rights by the Update Site. I read a Microsoft workaround solution to this issue just a day or two ago and, for the lfe of me, I can't rmemeber where I saw it. When I remember, or when I find it again, I'll come back with a Reference for you to read.

Meanwhile.....

Later...

Right, found it.

Office XP SP3 Full Version (http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/1/f/91ffc6b2-0745-470b-8dd3-1285b85db12b/OfficeXpSp3-kb832671-fullfile-enu.exe)

and here's the text of the paragraph that described its use.

To install SP3 without the original Office XP CD

When installing SP3, you may be prompted to insert one or more of your original Office XP CD-ROMs. If you do not have access to your original Office XP CD-ROM you can install Office XP SP3 Full Version (http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/1/f/91ffc6b2-0745-470b-8dd3-1285b85db12b/OfficeXpSp3-kb832671-fullfile-enu.exe) (58925 KB). Follow the instructions on the screen to complete installation. Note: Some users will still be prompted for the original CD when using the Office XP SP3 Full File Version, depending on your installation of Office XP. For more information, please see the Microsoft Knowledge Base article, (828451) OFFXP: Why Service Packs, Updates, and Security Patches May Require the Office XP CD-ROM (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=828451) .

fobotcso
23rd Apr 2004, 12:25
BlueEagle, check my edit above. fobs (needed to do this to get it to the top...)

BlueEagle
23rd Apr 2004, 22:07
Thanks Fobs.

Am a bit stuck for a couple of days but will be going through all the checks etc. probably on Monday, (visitors!).
The CD I have is the one that came supplied by Dell who carried out the initial install. Will give you a list of all messages and the point at which they occurred. Thanks for your help. BE

BlueEagle
26th Apr 2004, 09:26
Right, in order of how I tried to install SP3 to MSOfficeXP Small Business edition:

First via the MS update site I got this message:

"Error! Unable to check for updates on this computer Help

"The Office Update site is unable to check for updates on this computer. This may be happening because of one of the following reasons:

You do not have administrative privileges for this computer.
There is a network problem and the detection catalogue used by the Office Update site failed to download. Go back to the Downloads home page and try running detection again.
Windows Installer patch files (.MSP files) from previously applied Office updates are missing from the \Windows\Installer hidden directory on your computer. MSP files are stored on your computer after update installation completes because they need to be referenced for future update operations. If the files are missing you will not be able to apply Office updates. You may also be unable to un-install Office products as a result of the same problem. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services for assistance.
You installed Office updates in the past and then upgraded from Windows Installer version 1.0 to Windows Installer version 1.1. For more information see the KB article Windows Installer May Prompt for Install Source if Unavailable."

Well it's definitely neither of the first two.

Then I downloaded the full SP3, 57MB, OfficeXPSp3-kb832671-fullfile-enu.exe but when I try to install that I get:

“Office Hotfix Installer Encountered a problem. We are sorry” etc. etc.

and the data says:

ProdCode: x ProdVer: x Action: HotfixDetection NPUErr.

Err Num: 1635 Err: 0 {DA256408-A2E7-41A5-8AD6-62ACB86A0FD7}

Err1: Normal Patch.cpp Err2: 139
Which is all Greek to me but does suggest it may be an installer problem?

Finally I put in the CD for MS OfficeXP Small Business in order to either re-install it or run Replace and Repair and get this message:
"This package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer Patch Package"

A strange message considering I am trying to run Set-Up from the original CD.

Have been to the MS support site but didn't immediately come up with anything, however will go back now as I have a bit more time.

Would appreciate any thoughts and ideas. Many thanks.

fobotcso
26th Apr 2004, 10:39
BlueEAgle, sorry not to get this right first time but now have a peep at this:

Microsoft Article (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=295823)

See if the "Clean-up Utility" does the trick.

It's clear that this has been a thorny problem to others before you and Microsoft have had to address the issue specifically.

Let us know about progress ... fobs

BlueEagle
26th Apr 2004, 22:09
Thanks again fobotcso, downloaded the files, just plucking up the courage to use them! Will advise.

BlueEagle
27th Apr 2004, 10:33
When I posted all the messages above I sent a copy to MS here in Oz, they replied to-day that they thought I had a corrupt registry key and told me to back up the registry and then proceed as follows:

REGISTRY EDITING
1. Click on 'Start' -> 'Run'
2. Type 'regedit' (without the quotation marks) and click 'OK'. The Registry Editor should start.
3. Navigate to the required registry keys by double-clicking on each key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\Installer\Products

4. Below the 'Products' key, select each 32-character {GUID} until you find the one whose 'ProductName' value matches your version of Office. For example, the 32-character {GUID} for Office 2000 Premium is 904000001E872D116BF00006799C897E.
5. With the 32-character {GUID} for your Office product selected, click on 'Edit' -> 'Delete'.
6. Click 'Yes' when prompted to confirm the deletion.
7. Click on 'File' -> 'Exit'.
8. Run Setup for Office again.

Guess what! Everything seems to be back to normal, installation, updates etc. etc.
Thanks for your time and your help, very much appreciated and you put me on the right track.
Cheers, BE.

fobotcso
27th Apr 2004, 12:07
Well Done! :D I was interested in the Keys that your post highlighted.

It's quite likely that the Microsoft "Clean-up Utility" would have done nothing more than you did manually. It's useful to know the actual Key where the corruption was lurking.

Now you've become a Registry hacker, there's no knowing where you will end up. :uhoh:

Ausatco
28th Apr 2004, 10:19
fobs,

Thanks for the link to the SP3 Full Version update.

My installation of Office XP did not want to update at all, and now it does.

Cheers

AA

fobotcso
28th Apr 2004, 12:25
AA, 'welcome and Cheers back, fobs