PDA

View Full Version : Clearing blocked sinuses?

HighandTight
22nd Apr 2004, 11:18
Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone has any good remedies to clear or prevent blocked sinuses? (apart from good old Sudafed).

I've done a search on here and tried a few things but am ideally looking for a method of easing sinus pain that does not involve drugs.

I have seen a post here on massaging the forehead (?) to force the fluid down into the lower cavities but cannot find any more specific info. I've tried it but not sure if I am doing it right.

Do a lot of unpressurised flying up to 10k. This is normally ok but any slight problem can be exacerbated after a few nights or a couple of ATC-induced rapid descents on tight approaches.

Any suggestions appreciated, no matter how strange;)

mazzy1026
22nd Apr 2004, 11:23
My ENT doc told me to mix some bicarbonate of soda with a little warm water - then snort up as much as you can. Give it a minute to drop out then give it a good hard blow into the tissue - a little irritating but works a treat after about 5 mins!

Regards

Maz

gingernut
22nd Apr 2004, 15:00
Highland T, the drugs used to "unblock congestion" are renounded for being crap. Initially they tend to work, but after a few days, a "rebound" effect can occur, making the situation worse.

Is it just changes in pressure which exascerbates the problem ?

HighandTight
22nd Apr 2004, 21:46
Gingernut,
Yes, seems to be. Sometimes comes on with a cold but not often. More usually induced when flying. Recently had a bad attack of sinus pain whilst flying, no problems on climb-out but after half an hour in the cruise, unpressurized, at FL100, severe pain down one side of my face. This eased on landing and the application of some painkillers.

I think on this occaision I must have had the lingering trace of a cold which provided something to clog the sinuses. Have found that using a dehumidifier at home really helps but obviously no good when away for a week sleeping in overheated hotels.

Might try the bicarb of soda. Not sure what Customs might say though if I was found carrying a bag of white powder.:eek:

Any ideas?

ShyTorque
22nd Apr 2004, 22:53
Try menthol crystals. Drop a few of these in a bowl of very hot water, put a towel over your head and around the bowl, to concentrate it, and breathe the vapour in. Don't rub your eyes or you will wish you hadn't. :{

Kaptin M
23rd Apr 2004, 05:20
The sinus massage I had several years ago, was performed by a naturopath, in association with acupuncture. From memory, the massage started at the forehead, down the sides of the face, and under the eyes and cheeks, and behind the jaw to the neck, following the sinuses. He explained that the idea was to stimulate the sinus passages, and to try to get any accumulated "gunk" moving.
You are probably better off having a professional do it, imo.

A steam inhalation, or a hot bath/shower will help to loosen up any congestion allowing you to expel it via your throat.

If it's warm weather, and you're at the seaside, you can try flushing the nasal passages by immersing your head and inhaling the salt water through your nose - it takes a bit of getting used to, but the results are worth it.

Have you tried to work out what is CAUSING the problem?
Usual suspects are dairy products.

Give the Sudafed a wide swerve - it's verboten in most airwork ops, as it causes drowsiness. I also believe that a lot of the anti-sinus prescriptions dry the mucous up, but don't help to clear it out of your system.

In a nutshell, go and see a good naturopath, you will probably be amazed at the results in a very short time, without resorting to prescription drugs.

Jetstream Rider
23rd Apr 2004, 16:24
Try 'Olbas Oil' available from the chemist. Just like Menthol (in fact it contains it, along with a load of other oils), it doesn't say to use it like this, but I drop it in hot water and inhale it as described above. Seems to work quite well. Also good for a sniff if you need to unblock suddenly.

Sudafed or Pseudoephadrine (spelling?) should not make you drowsy, in fact the opposite (don't take at night!), but it does "impare psychomotor coordination" which is why it is not liked for flight crew! (comes from a presentation given by an RAF doctor and relies on my memory, which may well be wrong.)

yasmine83
23rd Apr 2004, 17:42
hi...i thought that i might give u the name of the BEST remedy for your problem....but as im from france i dont know if the name changes...here it's called NASACORT it's prescribed for some sinuses pbs and it works really well...its made of triamcinolone acetonid.

i forget to tell u...it\'s a spray that u have to use every morning until your problem is resolved.

mazzy1026
24th Apr 2004, 09:55
I was told that nasal hygiene is very important, as a result I was given a "purified water - saline solution" which came in a pressurised can. Upon squirting it up your nose, it moistens the inner lining and provides sterilisation - this works great, I think it costs about £6 from the chemist (sorry cant remember the name).

Regards

Maz

deltahotel
27th Apr 2004, 10:15
Possibly the worst pain of my life - high RoD sinus pain. You need to reduce the inflammation in the sinus lining to allow the pressures to equalise. Otrivine nasal spray or Vicks Sinex work for me (taken before flying, although if you feel that twinge on the way up a quick blast might help before descent). Also if you're doing a reasonable length sector in an air conditioned (and thus dry) cockpit it sometimes dries things up in time. If it's still hurting on the ground then an anti inflammatory such as Brufen might help. Hope this helps, DH

HighandTight
29th Apr 2004, 09:46
Thanks for all the advice!

I've spoken to my Doc recently who has said that there are as many things to try on sinuses as there are for the common cold. However it seems to be down to picking the technique that works for the individual. He did, though, suggest the menthol crystals himself.

I think that anything that cleras the nasal passages should have a beneficial effect. I've now got a spray to use in emergencies ie: on the occasion in flight when I think it might affect me. Apparently these are not good for long term use.

So if you happen to be in the steam room of the hotel down route, watching someone inhaling deeply, it's proably me;)

Hopefully one of these will do the trick!

Dave Martin
29th Apr 2004, 10:11
Old yogi trick apparently, works well for hay-fever and apparently sinus problems as well.

Basically involves mixing up a saline solution of warm water and sear salt. Tilt your head back and gently pour said solution into one nostral. Eventually after backup up a bit it'll start to drain out the other, bringing with it the usual nose gunk.

It does feel a bit strange the first time but seems to work - a sort of nasal irrigation.

I've made my own apparatus for this consisting of a small orange juice carton (like your cardboard milk container). Make a hole above the pourer nozzell, fill the vessel with the saline, put nozzel to nostral and pour away.

Ahhhhh

gingernut
29th Apr 2004, 10:16
Dave M, thought about getting a surfboard !

DX Wombat
29th Apr 2004, 10:32
Try this from a while back : http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41152 but under NO circumstances should you follow the advice given by Turbofan

Nigey
24th May 2004, 20:28
Sinus pain can be due to a number of things. If you are classically atopic or have a propensity toward atopy, then it may be that nasal polyps are the root cause. One of the problems with polyps is they often invade into spaces high up in the nasal passages (ethmoidal sinuses) that are hard to get to with regular sprays. However, Fluticasone Propionate (Flixonase) can be obtained in a capsular form that you can get to the right region. You do have to kind of bend your head backwards while lying down (like over the back of a bed) and this is a bit of a pain twice a day, but they do shrink polypi.
Alternatively, you could get a CT scan to assess the extent and a polypectomy. Maybe see an ENT surgeon...

P.s. I don't work for GSK!!

Happy pressue equalisations