PDA

View Full Version : Buy a new laptop for £20 !?£$%!

Julian
22nd Apr 2004, 10:56
I am currently after a new laptop and went to ebay having picked up various other bargains on there in past.

There are quite a few auctions currently where you purchase a link to another site where they claim to offer you a branded laptop at a knockdown price - i.e. A Sony Vaio worth £1000 for £20 !

My 'too-good-to-be-true' defence kicks in at this point as even if one is brought in from abroad where is may be cheaper it still doesnt add up financially so seems a bit of a scam to me.

Has anyone ever purchased one of these links, or know anyone who has and if so what did they find when they followed the link they bought? Did you get what you were expecting?

Julian.

timmcat
22nd Apr 2004, 12:30
Been there, done it. I 'bought' a link from ebay two weeks ago for £2.50. As Mike says, it directs you to a site where, for £25, you go at the foot of a list. When you are eventually 'pushed' to the top of the list, you get your goodies.
Declined to do it myself, but when I tried to resell the link on (seeing an 'opportunity') ebay kicked it off, with a friendly warning. I've noticed the guy I bought the link off is now 'no longer a registered user'.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
22nd Apr 2004, 18:07
Julian,

It is a scam. Remember, you get what you pay for.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. Sounds like a Ponzi Scheme (http://home.nycap.rr.com/useless/ponzi/) to me. :eek:

osbo
23rd Apr 2004, 22:40
How many suckers are there out there thinking they can get something for nout?

Good on you all the same for admitting to it - the more publicity these scams get the better. It's a shame that the perpetrators are able to operate without fear of prosecution in this increasingly anarchistic society.

Whoops....there goes another terrorist...free to do as he will at taxpayers expense..........makes my blood boil (if you hadn't noticed!)

Onan the Clumsy
24th Apr 2004, 13:46
Ha, so Ponzi was involved in the airline business then?

I don't see a problem with twenty quid for a laptop. After all if it's an auction, there's a starting bid and then the price goes up. If anough people bid, the seller gets a good deal (I've seen used items on ebay sell for more than the same item brand new) If not enough people bid, then the buyer gets a good deal.

However...if it's a link to another site, then that's a litle different.

Terrorist ?? :confused: I wouldn't go THAT far :rolleyes:

osbo
24th Apr 2004, 22:01
It was topical Onan - In the UK we let terrorists out of jail because locking them up might just hurt their feelings by being locked up...........go figure ...................DYOR

Julian
26th Apr 2004, 13:17
Thanks guys,

Like I said seemed a bit too good to be true. Having looked through some of the other auctions on eBay it amazing how many of these schemes are floating about - someone is pulling in some money from gullible buyers!

Julian.