PDA

View Full Version : Obscure words in posts

tony draper
22nd Apr 2004, 09:33
My neigbour is a cackling Alderian and is definately a Barathrum and his wife practices Belomancy.

:rolleyes:

Parapunter
22nd Apr 2004, 10:25
How about common words spelled in obscure ways Mr. Draper? J'accuse:}

tony draper
22nd Apr 2004, 10:38
Well they were words in common usage at one time,one has found a wonderfull website with lots of obscure English words,however one shall put prooners out of their misery.

Aldarian= one given to bouts of uncontrolable laughter.

Bathrum,=one given to overindugence in grub, a unfillable person foodwise.

Belomancy= telling fortunes by using arrows,
(don't ask me):confused:

"You are approaching a crisis in your life, Twang !Swish,Thunk!arrrggghhhhhhhhhh"
:uhoh:

mazzy1026
22nd Apr 2004, 12:54
My dad is from Wales and my Mother is from Hungary - guess that makes me WellHung

baaaa humbug

Windle Poons
22nd Apr 2004, 18:18
Not being one to miss an opportunity........

This thread is just ripe for a sentence that is hippopotomonstrosesquipedalian. And if that's the case then I would like to announce my gynotikolobomassophilia. :E

WP

mazzy1026
23rd Apr 2004, 12:21
How about antidissesstablishmentarianism :sad:

Jerricho
23rd Apr 2004, 12:27
Let's not forget the good old potatoe.

ORAC
23rd Apr 2004, 12:39
I cannot help but observe that young ladies here in Spain tend towards the callipygian, whilst in the USA steatopygia tended to be far more the norm.....

Binoculars
23rd Apr 2004, 13:57
What would Ppruners think about a person who would in all seriousness use "psitticine" in a post? I've been wondering for a couple of months now. :rolleyes:

DishMan
23rd Apr 2004, 15:02
Personally - I'd think they meant to use psittacine ;)

OneWorld22
23rd Apr 2004, 15:06
I shall return here interfrastically.

And I am puzzled by your contrafibulations....

M. I. Icarus?
23rd Apr 2004, 17:59
Honorificabilitudinita, antidisestablishmentarianism is not floccinaucinihilipipification and only supercalifragilisticeplalidocious beings may enable praetertranssubstantiationalistical happenings, leaving doctors to limit themselves to hepaticocholecystostcholecystenterostomies and diagnosing pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosts (which may have been described at one time by the osseocarnisanguineoviscericartilagininervomedullary) whilst literary men and women may study "Antipericatametaanaparcircumvolutiorectumgustpoops of the coprofied" (Gargantua and Pantagruel, by Francois Rabelais) as they admire the aequeosalinocalcalinoceraceoaluminoscupreovitriolic and rate the medical wonders nowhere near to bababadalgharaghtakamminapronnkonnbronntonnepronntuonnthunnt rovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordeenenthurnuk as they enjoy their lopadotemachoselachogaleokranioleipsanodrimhypotrimmatosilph iparaomelitokatakechymenokichlepikossyphophattoperisteralekt ryonoptekephalliokiglopeleiolagoiosiraiobaphetraganopterygon and try to come up with a shorter version of the word used to describe bovine NADP.

(as I am not a native English speaker, please feel free to correct my mistakes)

Binoculars
24th Apr 2004, 05:28
DishMan,

Thank you, your post made me smile. When I first saw the word used I couldn’t believe anybody would be pretentious enough to use it in JB, so I did a search to discover how widespread its use was. In the whole archives of Pprune, it has been used five times, all by the same user, and now you inform me that each time it was misspelled!

Now that you have edumacated me, I find that a search based on the correct spelling brings up no uses at all in posts, only a user name. I suppose it is a sad commentary on my nature that I find this rather satisfying.

I will maintain my psitta/i/cine watch to see if its next use is spelled correctly.

;)

Davaar
24th Apr 2004, 08:47
Few, I trust, would accuse me of resorting to the linguistic obscurity or even the recherché, but given the highly-developed sense of delicacy epidemic in these pages, I might sometimes find one or the other of value. It is not, for example, that I contribute to any of the sexually frank threads, but if I did, I might think it more acceptable under the hotel lobby rule to deny being a t*t-man, but admit to being mastoconcupiscent. If I were, of course.

BlueDiamond
24th Apr 2004, 08:57
My cat has been graminivorating. It's a thing felines like to do every now and then.

:ok:

criticalmass
24th Apr 2004, 09:46
A most entertaining although slightly abstruse thread. I can only contribute the word hexanitrodiphenylamine, a formerly effective fuel for causing a self-catalysing exothermic reaction, now somewhat superseded by more modern such substances.

mazzy1026
24th Apr 2004, 11:03
Check these out and try and figure out who the hell sat down and thought of them? :8

http://www.palindromelist.com/a.htm

tony draper
24th Apr 2004, 11:18
Proon chaps spend a lot of time in Pubs for "Cacestogenous" reasons,or because of "Cagamosis", their wives tend to the belief that "Cacodaemonomania" is the cause.
A lot of these wives are "Xanothrippes" and do not realise that hubby goes to the pub because of "Xerophobia" and to practice "Ximelolagnia"

:rolleyes:

Davaar
25th Apr 2004, 18:21
Only only one of them is in a post so far, I think, but here are both: "dittography" and "haplography".