PDA

View Full Version : Origin Pacific Lay Off Staff

BCF Breath
22nd Apr 2004, 05:13
Sorry to hear about the recent staff reductions at OP.
Res staff and CHC based F/A's, possibly more.

Anyone know more details...?

Anyone know of any jobs going for these staff?

PofF
22nd Apr 2004, 05:57
I heard just now they're ditching two J41's, an ATR and making one of the J31/32 fleet spare for training and maintenance. Not sure if that's true though. Anyone with more info?

CT7
22nd Apr 2004, 06:29
Just heard something similar. Quite a few jobs apparently.

And I bet I know who's going to get the blame for poor old Origins woes.....

VS1400
22nd Apr 2004, 08:37
I don t know -- it must be because QF has been trying toget to bed with NZ -- who would know any other reasons for the whole world being against RI ? I feel sorry for the employees because it shows that most of the managment at OP -- and not just there -- has no regret to cut jobs once it has been proofen that they can t pull butter from a toast with their ideas !
Back to good old People Express times -- no frills managment ?
:*

ZK-NSN
22nd Apr 2004, 23:00
VS1400 - So you have talked to robert have you? In the staff meeting he looked pretty stoked to be sending people out on the street. Its not easy for anybody but it has to be done because we dont have access to Aunty Helens visa card to get us out of the :mad: like air nz did. consultents have been brought in to help staff in finding new jobs and with c.v's. unoins had been advised and consulted prior to the release and staff will get redundancy pay outs even though very few had it in their contacts.
He did blame air nz to a certain point for it, and i beleive he has got a point but also QF pulling out of the codeshare and the compeditive fares that anz and qf are selling.
mostly ground staff effected but air crew (especially flight attentents) wont escape untouched. J41 are not confirmed as going back, that all depends on how negotiations with the owners go.

Plas Teek
23rd Apr 2004, 04:03
Still don't understand why one would get a HUGE payout from Air NZ for the sale of Air Nelson, then go and start another airline to compete with former.:confused:

VS1400
23rd Apr 2004, 05:56
ZK NSN -- I have not spoken to any one at Origin but I have heart a lot of roumors -- just go to one of the local watering holes if you want to know more. But : Competing with either QF or NZ on the major trunk routes in New Zealand never made sense as the cost factor for a small airline will be not much lower than for the bigger ones -- no matter how much you pay the guys to fly the passenger. Do your home work ! I personally think that Origin is a good airline but that the managment was brought over from Air Nelson and hasn t kept up with what s going on out there --- strateci alliances should have been made earlier last year as it was clear wheer QF was heading, new routes opened up last year were not flown during summer and visa versa and the J 31 are too old to bee efficient -- but as RI owns them anyway this was a cheap way to make some bucks -- I just feel for the people who are going to / who have lost their jobs -- it s going to be hard to find any thing in the industry no matter what. And by they way : How would RI have looked if he would not have been looking down announcing people loosing theior jobs ? No matter why --

belowMDA
23rd Apr 2004, 07:12
vs1400 forgive me if I am off the mark here but could you post that again when you are sober?
Anyone with a reasonably intimate knowledge of OPAL care to start to list the management bungles, because from my understanding there have certainly been a few.

Bombay
23rd Apr 2004, 14:07
Let's just wait a few days (weeks) and see how everything comes out in the wash.

No point in leaping in with ill-informed clap trap until we really know the facts about the immediate future.

The J41 leases are still to be negotiated, so who really knows?

Watch this space.

Bombay

Don Won
23rd Apr 2004, 16:07
Bombay, well said I hear nothing confirmed yet, just a case of watch this space really...........................

troppo
24th Apr 2004, 10:26
fear not les the legend has the answer

Origin Cutbacks Worldwide Trend
24/04/2004 10:01 PM - NewstalkZB

The cutbacks at Origin Pacific are being seen as symptomatic of a world-wide trend.

The Nelson-based domestic airline is trimming its schedules after Qantas put a stop to its partnership with the carrier.

Aviation analyst Les Bloxham says Origin was reliant on the overseas travellers Qantas brought to its services.

He says more and more international airlines are focusing on gaining regional footholds.

He says it is another sad example of the small guy being shot down by the bigger player.

The airline plans to focus on its core business in future.

Managing director Robert Inglis says it will now focus on regional schedules, air charters, and growing its freight operations.

He hopes to develop partnerships in the future with other airlines.

Origin Pacific hopes the impact on staff will be minimal.

Robert Inglis says consultation has begun with staff affected by the cutbacks.

He says already there are opportunities to minimise the impact on them.

Air New Zealand says it will consider employing any Origin Pacific staff affected by restructuring.

Air New Zealand says it is extremely committed to the nation's airline industry and its employees.

Chief executive Ralph Norris says it would be keen to interview any staff made redundant for positions currently available in Air New Zealand.

He says Air New Zealand's business is continuing to grow.

Blue Line
24th Apr 2004, 12:26
OMG is there anywhere where Les won't stick his nose in :mad:

Bombay
25th Apr 2004, 00:17
We ought to be grateful that we have such expertise at our disposal.

Where would the NZ industry be without Les Bloxham and Peter Clark?

Just think: The media would have to talk to someone qualified and experienced. Clearly that just would not do.

Bombay

MeatHunter
25th Apr 2004, 07:40
Dear old uncle Les seems to be running out of something to say if he has to quote someone else's news article. As BOMBAY says lets wait and see.

As for Les, go back to sleep and when you awaken you may be a little more enlightened.

BCF Breath
26th Apr 2004, 03:25
Gee, it only took the Herald two days to find out.....

Cypher
26th Apr 2004, 03:51
A little off topic..

We all b!tch about Les Bloxham, how many of you are willing to do something about it...

I don't see anyone sticking their hands up to take his place, providing a more informed opinion to the media...

Chances are someone else would take Les' and Peter's place in the media.. and we'd all just end up b!tching about them...

No I don't agree with some of the things Les and Peter say either in the media and their so called 'aviation expert' PPL holding status..

As for Origin.. well... I quote... "There go all the jobs....."

ZK-NSN
26th Apr 2004, 09:06
VS1400 - never put too much stock in what you hear at the pub dude. I dont think the intention was to ever compete on the maintrunk with airnz with the current fleet and we had only been on the maintrunk because we had been doing it for QF not against them, when they shot the gap origin had atr's with no real use for them as well as staff and systems that they could no longer use. As for QF leaving i personally was'nt surprized either but managment for some reason didnt see it coming, which would explain why they had'nt look for other partners. I must agree to a certain extent on the management being "a bit poor" but its not only those at the coal face being effected so this area may see alot of change as well.
I agree eveyone should hold fire and give it time.:ok:

Bombay
27th Apr 2004, 11:04
Cypher: You make a reasonable point.

I personally would be happy to offer so-called "expert opinion" on aviation matters to the media if it meant they would do away with Captain Bloxham and Saab F/O "Save-the-Day" Clark.

However, I know all you b*stards would give me nothing but grief for doing so.

So, you're quite right. We may as well hang on to these two consultants.

At least we can call them amateurs....and actually be right.

Bombay

ZK-NSN
28th Apr 2004, 03:33
If you look close you'll notice that not only that these guys are the aviation experts but they also do the arts and occasionally the gardening section in the paper as well.
In this day and age a 20 min triall flight in a tomahawk makes you an " aviation expert".

Don Won
28th Apr 2004, 07:43
.........or a Massey CPL:yuk: