PDA

View Full Version : How hard would it be for a foreigner in South Africa

YVRKid
22nd Apr 2004, 00:13
Im from Canada...been here my entire life, never left the country. I LOVE South Africa, crime aside. My plan is to get my piloting licenses and go to University in Canada. Then, move to Cape Town and fly for SAA. WOuld being a commercial pilot or air traffic controller in South Africa be too daunting of a task? What would I do to be allowed to fly in South Africa? Just go to CAA and convert my licenses? Thanks.

George Tower
22nd Apr 2004, 00:44
I always thought that Canadians ranked alongside the Germans for their sense of humour:p

YVRKid
22nd Apr 2004, 00:46
lol, jeez, does that mean I basically got no chance?

22nd Apr 2004, 10:30
Bollocks! Canadians and Germans are cool and you probably stand a pretty good chance of flying for SAA if you go about it the right way. There will be a mountain of bureaucracy involved so I'd suggest that you get in touch with ALPA-SA in the meantime in order to find out exactly which hoops you'll have to jump through.

:}

George Tower
22nd Apr 2004, 11:07
I read this and given some of the recent posts in this forum and thought this could be a wind-up.

If you have never left Canada, how on earth do you know that you will like SA in order to want live here. I love SA (inspite of its problems) but I don't believe that you can categorically state it is where you want to live before you have even been here.

I'm not sure how old you are as you mention you have yet to go to university. As a first step I'd suggest doing a PPL in Cape Town, that why you get to see SA and Cape Town and you do some flying.

The SA CAA will only validate foreign licences if you have a job in SA first. Work permits are only issued when there is a shortage of local skills available. It is therefore likely that in order to have an unrestricted right to live and work in SA you will need to marry an SA citizen.

As for SAA I suggest you read some of the threads regarding affirmative action.

I have many German friends.....but I'm quite happy to let them stick to making fine cars and bear, and leave the British to tell the jokes.:ok:

YVRKid
22nd Apr 2004, 22:26
Im definately not saying this is going to happen...maybe my view on SA could change when I visit or what not...in the past month Ive gone from flying in the Canadian Air Force, to going to flight schools and university and what have you. Im only 15, I doubt this is the route Im actually going to take..I just want to investigate and plan ahead...maybe, it could be the route I take, who knows...i was just curious.

B Sousa
23rd Apr 2004, 04:13
15 year olds dream a lot, I did. Nothing wrong with that. Also nothing wrong with flying in Canada.
Get that University degree, maybe fly a bit with the Canadian Military. By then you will have enough experience to chase that dream.....

slapfaan
23rd Apr 2004, 04:32
:= WHO IS THIS CLOWN......

Dear moderator,could I suggest a seperate column with the heading: "kid's corner"....or "pprunes funniest comments"

:ok:

YVRKid
23rd Apr 2004, 04:45
Oi, why do you say that?

Drop and Stop
23rd Apr 2004, 06:55
Just have a look at Agony Aunt Forum, it will answer a lot of questions regarding YVRKid and his desire to live in SA. Mate your first step should be actually trying to talk to this chick rather than planning out your entire future based only on a crush.