PDA

View Full Version : A Dilemma - CPL here or U.S

silverknapper
21st Apr 2004, 22:34
Guys

I have a dilemma to sort which I hope I can get some help with here. I'm at the stage of about to commence CPL and IR. Before embarking on this journey around a year ago I had decided that I would do them both in the UK, train where you'll fly etc etc. However whilst this is a grand principle (of which I don't have many!) I have also gone over budget whilst studying. As a consequence, the US is looking good for my CPL, returning here for IR. This is for several reasons and I assure you I have thought about it long and hard - it is not just a knee jerk reaction to being skint, there are other factors.
As I see it:
Cheaper - especially with exchange rates.
Quicker due to better wx
CPL can be completed and tested over there

BUT

I want to fly here.
Would it require a lot of readjustment ie R/T
I want to do an IR here so would my performance in that suffer?

I do know the grass isn't always greener in these situations and am fully aware there could be many pitfalls.
Over the years I have read many posts on the subject. I guess I am just looking for guidance based on recent (ish) experience. And don't hesitate to tell me not to be so :mad: stupid if that is the case.
Also if anyone could shed any light on who to avoid/go to I would be grateful.
I read FFF's diary with much enjoyment, which is one of the reasons I'm considering this course of action. I guess having seen it done before encourages me to go for it.

Cheers

SK

TurboJ
22nd Apr 2004, 08:04
silverknapper:

Where ever you do your CPL depends on your own circumstances. Everybody has there own opinion. For me, the weather, the cost and time to completion were the main factors. I went to Delta Connection (Atlantic) to do my CPL and was flying back within a fortnight with a first time pass. The exchange rate has since gone up since I was there, so it would be even better value for money now.

The CPL course is only 25 hours; I have done cross country flights all over the UK, France, Spain and the Channel Islands. Train where you fly ? Surely gaining a broad experience of flying in different places has to be an advantage and demonstrate you are prepared to get off your rear ? The US R/T is not that much different to anywhere else....

Your choice of school..........you really need to visit the ones that impresss you the most......Delta was OK for me...experienced instructors, professional school. However, to get completed in your own time frame you need to be on the ball and push the instructors. When you leave for the day, you need to be assertive and know when you are coming back.......other schools I can't talk for but take on board other peoples experiences. I know people who failed their JAA CPL at one US school because they hadn't taught him part of the syllabus !!!

As for your IR.....cross one bridge at a time........you can't do your IR skills test in the US, it has to be in a JAR state.....from a financial point of view some UK schools may give you a discount on doing a CPL/IR together especially if you also need a twin rating at the same time.....if you are looking around at saving money have a look at Spain. An ME-IR for £6500 !!! With the strength of the euro to the pound that is now £5790 !! I was impressed with the professionalism, time to complete, aircraft and of course cost.....and flying in Spain is no different to the UK except for the weather of course. The cost is due to fuel being 60 cents a litre or 40p to you and me !!!

Happy flying.........

FlyingForFun
22nd Apr 2004, 08:17
SK,

From your post, there are three negative reasons you've identified against going to the US:

1) "I want to fly here." I agree with the idea of training where you plan to fly. But it sounds, from your post, as if you've done your PPL in the UK. And your hour-building. And you'll do your IR here. You have plenty of experience of UK airspace already. I would think that a bit of variety in seeing different ways of doing things would be a benefit, not a disadvantage.

2) Adjustment - not just to R/T, but to airspace and so on, too - once you get to the US. You've read my diary, so you know about the "pre-CPL" which EFT have you do before starting the course. Obviously it will take you a little longer than me, since I already had a reasonable amount of time logged in the US, but it's not very difficult and shouldn't take too long. The question is, will the time and/or cost of this negate the time and cost advantage of going to the US. I don't know the answer to this, but you can probably make some reasonable guesses about how long this will take, based on my diary, and work it if it negates the benefits or not.

3) Impact on your IR. I would say there will be zero impact on your IR. The CPL is a VFR course, and the procedures, R/T, etc are completely different to flying airways (I would imagine - having not done the IR myself yet). So I can't see how your choice of location for the CPL would have any effect on your IR at all.

There are plenty of other good reasons not to go to the US. Family connections or work connections in the UK are the obvious ones. Also, if you've done most or all of your flying so far abroad, then doing the CPL where you plan to actually fly is a good idea. But these don't apply to you.

Good luck!

FFF
---------------

Ropey Pilot
23rd Apr 2004, 13:57
Did my CPL in the US of A and seem to be doing alright on my IR back in the UK.

Only issue that I haven't noticed anyone mention is the a/c change. If you are doing all your training at one school you will presumably use the same a/c for your CPL/Multi rating and IR. If you are like me you will fly one type of multi in the US and have to get used to another whilst entering the world of numbers and dials.

Personal preference as to whether time and money offset this extra workload- it works for me but it is something else to think about while deciding what works for you.

Good luck either way:ok:

pipergirl
24th Apr 2004, 08:33
FlyingForFun...

whereabouts in Spain does that deal for the ME/IR?