PDA

View Full Version : Airport Jobs

stuharri2002
21st Apr 2004, 17:06
Hi,

just finished my degree and PPL and was thinking of getting a job at an airport to pay off some debts before getting my ATPL. Can anyone suggest any jobs that might be out there which would also look good to airlines? Thanks

stu

RowleyUK
21st Apr 2004, 17:43
Aircraft dispatcher could be fun!!;)

witchdoctor
21st Apr 2004, 19:27
Agree with Rowley. Dispatch is as good an opportunity you will get to be up close and personal with the a/c and talking to the crews. Lot's of vacancies over the summer, especially at the major airports.

However, it isn't well paid (but it beats the hell out of working at McD's or in a high street shop) and it can involve unsocial hours, but hey, so can flying. Ring your local airport and ask for the numbers for the ground handling agents there.

stuharri2002
21st Apr 2004, 22:07
thanks for the reply, do u need any qualifications?

ta

stu

sullyd
22nd Apr 2004, 08:04
its been a long time since ive seen as many airlines recruiting for cabin crew as there is now.
You should consider enquiring, where you based, i'll give you a list of airlines your guaranteed to get a position with if you just put some effort into your appearance.
a dispatcher is a really hard job, them holds are tiny places, and lifting heavy cases, cant see how that would be any way good for your back.
Im starting my integrated atpl in october, but working for an airline at the mo as a trolley dolly. man theres loads of fit women, and youve got NO competition if you know what i mean. Its worth enquiring. I'd recommend it, I've Learnt so much.

witchdoctor
22nd Apr 2004, 08:49
sullyd,

Don't confuse dispatch with the lads who do the ramp work. The dispatcher is the guy who co-ordinates the turnaround of the a/c and makes sure that everything that is required for departure (fuel, pax, bags, paperwork) is done on time as far as posiible. Perhaps if you spent more time watching what went on rather than chasing hosties you might have noticed.;)

stu,

As far as I know, you don't need any formal qualifications for dispatch. Academically it's not demanding, but a good dollop of common sense and the ability to get yourself organised will help. If you can walk and chew gum, you're probably in.:}

stuharri2002
22nd Apr 2004, 12:29
cheers guys,
i am based in bristol - was thinin about givin servisair a call r.e dispatch jobs.

ta

stu

mad_jock
22nd Apr 2004, 12:40
If there are local companys with ops deptments nearby see if there are any summer ops jobs going.

Ops is an amazing insite into commercial aviation. And by the nature of the job you will be talking day to day with the people who decide who gets hired. i.e the best sort of networking you can get.

What do you do in ops?

Coordinating everything which allows the crew to fly.

You will get way more knowledge in ops than dispatching. You will just have to watch when your doing your ATPL exams that you can remember to forget what you would really do in real life and answer the questions as if you worked in the JAR world that the powers that be would like us to think operates.

MJ

tom24
22nd Apr 2004, 13:21
I wouldn't get too worked up about gaining employment in an airport/airline. Go get a well-paid job (that said, I have no idea what a dispatcher earns!!!!) with your degree, sat at a desk or something (yes it stinks, but it can pay well), pay back your debts quicker and get on with your training.

sullyd
24th Apr 2004, 22:59
withdoctor,

Do you think people want to be rampies, they start at this then move to dispatch, its like your job at tesco, you start at the bottom.

Maybe if you spent less time trying to magically make an fatpl appear youd do yourself some good.

Wake Up and smell the coffee.!

hifive11
25th Apr 2004, 06:46
From what I hear, the salary for dispatch is about £5 per hour

Not a lot to live on but it could be an interesting and eye opening job!! :(

witchdoctor
25th Apr 2004, 17:38
sullyd,

already got my fATPL thanks mate - it's very nice.;)

and got straight in as a dispatcher too.

and when i joined the supermarket rat race, i was straight in as a manager.

maybe they just liked me because i'm such a wonderful guy.

once you know what you're talking about, perhaps you'll come back and post something factually correct.:p

oz01
3rd May 2004, 14:30
stu
hi mate
im in bristol too & after a job in dispatch
have you had any luck so far? & if so how did u do it?
Thanks
olly

SAM 2M
3rd May 2004, 15:17
I was a Despatcher at LGW in the late 80s prior to doing my CAP509 course. After graduating in Mar 91 went back to Despatching until a J31 airline job came up. 9 years after being a despatcher I was a B757 Captain.

The Despatching experience was invaulable and I have used the knowledge gained many times. The insight into how, when and why things can go wrong on the ramp during a turn round is very useful. For example when the computersised check-in and weight and balance (DCS) system goes down having to quickly do my own loadsheet has no fears!

Furthermore the knowledge gained in Ops has been very useful in spotting re-routes to avoid a slot delay.

Also when you are 1 passenger down at the gate on a 233 seat B757 that means that more than 99% have read all the signs and made it -perhaps a long way down the pier- on time. Not bad as an average performance. Despatching experience and knowledge helps you stay on top of things. It also helps you keep things in perspective.

As far as qualifications are concerned most people doing the job do not have anything specific as it is a 'learn as you go job'. Also many Flight Crews do not realise that you will nearly always be understaffed and could be overseeing several flights at once. Crews would sometimes -out of lack of understanding- ask me where the @@@ I had been. It can be tough at times with long hours. I always vowed that if I became flight deck crew I would always look after ground crew.

However whilst I was a Despatcher I did the City & Guilds 7282 Course called the 'Advanced Certificate in Operations & Flight Despatch' The course was held at the Redhill Tech. Dept. of Aviation Studies.

The course was very interesting and covered Flight Watch, Met, Performance A, Flight Planning & Safety, Load Control/Weight & Balance and Route Planning. It certainly made much of my CPL study that was then yet to come much easier. I would recommend this course if it is still available. It is also good for the CV. Remember that when you get your fATPL it is a huge achievement but everyone in the running has one.

SAM 2M :ok:

Phil Brockwell
4th May 2004, 13:00
There is a possible job in BRS for Ops assistant / Pilot with 250 hrs, email [email protected] with CV

Phil

MD11Flyer
4th May 2004, 21:49
Since Flight Instructing is a great way to log them hours as a first job, I suggest being a dispatcher at a flight school. That way your almost guaranteed an instructing job!

P51 mustang
6th May 2004, 14:42
Is there anyone out there who could give a more detailed job description of an aircraft dispatcher? And what exactly was meant by ops? Not everyone here is clued-up.
How would I go about applying for a job as a dispatcher?
I live in the Kingston area which isn't too far from Heathrow.

PPWannaBe
6th May 2004, 14:57
Not that ive ever done it, but a dispatcher is normally the person running around before the flight departs ensuring the required paper work is completed. They are also normally involved in completing the load sheet etc...so pretty good exposure to airline ops before the first flying job. I'm sure there are plenty of chaps here with first hand experience who will give a bit more indepth breakdown of the job.

From an application point of view..i would try contacting the various handling agents, servisair, aviance, etc...see if the have any vacancies.

Cheers

PP

witchdoctor
7th May 2004, 08:08
Check out the Ops forum. There are some good detailed replies to this question in there.

deathcruzer
7th May 2004, 08:37
I suggest you look at some other way of sorting out your debts…working around aero planes pays badly. Because people in this business will work for nothing….and the airlines know it….;)

starship
7th May 2004, 13:19
Stu,

Like SAM 2M I too worked in dispatch for a couple of years, and for two handling agents. I am still glad that I did it, as I learned alot before I started flying, knowledge which helps in varying amounts when things go wrong on the line.

The insight you will gain into an operational background of an airline and the airport environment is both interesting and useful -but if you are going to do the job, do it well and be enthusiastic. Work with your crews and do a good job, make sure the team stays together to ensure on time or early departures as painlessly as possible, and above all enjoy it.

If you are going to do it, don't rely on it to make you alot of money because quite simply, it won't. During the summer you may find yourself working extended shifts dealing with delayed flights, and quite often disgruntled passengers too.

I would do it again if I was back in your situation without hesitation - I left to be cabin crew which was also very good experience.... and financed my instructor rating.

Whatever you do, enjoy it and don't stop planning your next step to the flightdeck. Speak to people, get out there and make contacts and listen to their advice. Most of them will want to help you, if you do a good job for them.

Cheers and good luck,

starship :cool:

Phil Brockwell
7th May 2004, 13:24
Deathcruzer,

I disagree, I know a lot of people earning a very good salary from working around planes. The hours are often unsociable, and long, but the returns can be excellent,

Phil

Ebee
7th May 2004, 16:23
P51Mustang

If ur willing to put in the hours you can make a lot of money dispatching. I spent 4 months as a dispatcher at Manchester in the summer between completing A-levels and starting Uni. In that time I made enough money to fund my PPL form start to finish.
In addition you can make a lot of useful contacts with air crew and you never know when they may come in handy.

This is what the job involves:

Arrive at stand before aircraft arrives, check the ramp for FOD and ensure loaders, cleaners, caterers, fuellers etc. are on their way. After aircraft parks on stand drive airbridge to the door. From here on in u are the team leader, u must ensure that all the teams are doing their jobs and to schedule so the aircraft dosent miss its slot. In addition you must liaise with the flight deck and the cabin manager and keep them informed of what is happening at all times. As well as the ramp teams you must also stay on top of the passenger situation i.e. talking to the passenger agents to make sure the passengers are going to be ready to board at the right time. Once the aircarft is ready and the passengers have boarded you sign off with the flight deck, remove the airbridge and watch the tug boys push her off.

The job is loads of fun but at times you can find urself under immense pressure. For example, you may fnd urself dispatching at 4 in the morning feeling tired and stressed trying to explain to the angry captain that he is going to be late because the loaders have put 200 hundred bags in the wrong hold. It's not always easy but it's a real challenge. You have to be well organised and be able to communicate well at all levels from the toffy nose captain to the cleaners and loaders.
I would honestly recommend working in dispatch to any potential pilots out there. Sure, it's not the best paid job out there but its valuable experience which helps develop the very characteristics that the modern pilot needs. For me just getting those few minuted in the flight deck having a laugh and a joke with the flight deck crew helped an awful lot to stay focussed on my goal.
I know Servisair are recruiting up at Manchester right now and im fairly sure they are doing the same around the country to cope with the summer charter traffic. I was seriously thinking about going back after graduation this summer but I think I wanna spread my wings a little more and try Ops.

I hope this helps 'P51' and if u want any more info. then PM me.

Ebee

p.s. 'Sullyd' u are simply wrong!

nosewheelfirst
8th May 2004, 11:06
Or you are the boarding staff as well as the dispatcher with two flights on the go at once :{ Its a good job esspecially if your in it for the experience.

milesaway
17th May 2005, 12:44
Ive just graduated and like many others am set on a job in aviation (hopefully as a pilot but equally keen on ATC).

However whilst applying to various opportunities I need, no actually must (!), clear some of the debts I have produced with 4 years of uni.

I saw from a previous post aircraft dispatchers being mentioned as good job for the CV and as well as being interesting and allowing close contact with a/c, however I could only find vacancies in Manchester (I'm in Guildford) on aviation job search.

Does anyone know the best way to find out about vacancies for around London and perhaps any other jobs that would be interesting or available??

Cheers in advance :ok:

Maude Charlee
17th May 2005, 17:24
Due to the rotten pay that most ground handling agencies pay their dispatchers, it's not the sort of job that justifies paying an agency to advertise it.

Best way to find the jobs is to contact your local airports, and find out which ground handling agents they use (some might be airlines which self-handle) and contact them direct at the airport. Alternatively, look up the corporate websites for the likes of Aviance, Servisair, Swissport etc and ask them for the contacts at your local airport.

The money and shifts can be pretty bad (but some places actually pay pretty well) to downright awful, but it is an interesting and varied job, and the contact with crews is great. You'll get so much good advice and encouragement from them. Not the best job in the world by a long shot, but it beats the hell out of working in an office/bank/call centre/shop etc.

What's a Girdler
18th May 2005, 11:40
I'm an engineer at NATS, I know for a fact we are recruiting permanently for ATCOs ( Controllers ) go to www.nats.co.uk and apply on line!

FougaMagister
18th May 2005, 17:01
I'd second what MaudeCharlee said; contact the handling agents directly. The Station Ops Managers are more often than not responsible for dispatcher recruitment at their base.

Cheers :cool:

Piltdown Man
19th May 2005, 12:55
Suggestions:
1) If you get a job as a dispatcher, remember that you will quickly get to be known by your regulars. Make sure that you don't piss on your chips so to speak by doing dodgy turnrounds or molesting the cabin crew (like one chap I know - after ten years or so, he's still the 4rsehole he ever was).
2) Have some calling cards made up so that you can tell people who you are.
3) get a reputation for being useful to the crews you handle and they will speak up for you in interviews.
4) It does work - I know of quite a few former dispatchers who have "moved on".
5) Be prepared to make baked beans on toast your favourite meal because left over pax and crew meals will be your staple diet (cos you won't be able to afford "out else").

FougaMagister
19th May 2005, 14:13
Piltdown Man, diet-wise you're wrong! As long as I clock in a 50-hr week (sorry, I meant a 48-hr. week ;) ), I can afford a curry every now and then :rolleyes:

Cheers

milesaway
20th May 2005, 11:07
Cheers for the advice guys I will be on to it straight away!

And 'What's a Girdler' I am in the process of applying to NATS to be a trainee, however I was told the process takes a while so just need something to fill in in the mean time...:ok: