PDA

View Full Version : How does one get a composite sign-off?

Ludwig
21st Apr 2004, 16:10
How does one get a composite sign-off?

Friend of mine has just bought a composite aircraft, (Slingsby). She employs a couple of licensed engineers and would like to know how they get signed-off to work on composite a/c. Slingsby apparently don’t answer e-mails and the CAA are apparently unable to tell her how to go about it. Do you peeps know please
:confused:

Lear_doctor
22nd Apr 2004, 07:22
I find it odd that the CAA don't know the answer to this one. The solution is in CAA Airworthiness notice 10. (page 3). The engineers need to add paragraph 5.0 to their CAA 'A' licence. (Aircraft <5700kg are still certified by CAA licence)

The guys will know but, you achieve this by submitting a series of experience sheets (ad301 + ad300), to CAA licensing, showing what work you have done on the aircraft. If accepted they will be invited to an oral examination by their local CAA office. Pass that and the para is added to their licence.

With the above sorted (this will take months and months obviously!!) they can certify the work either on their licence or have the Slingsby added to their approval document by the QC dept.

A work colleague here managed to go on a training course for the repair of composite aircraft. This helped him a great deal in achieving the above qualification.

If the course is off interest message me and I will send you the details (assuming the course is still running!! - I have not had time to check and it was some time since he did it)

Regards

The Doc

Ludwig
22nd Apr 2004, 08:23
Thanks Lear_Doctor, I will pass on your info. Helpful Ppruners as ever:ok: