PDA

View Full Version : Saudi Arabia

davidgrant
21st Apr 2004, 13:10
A word of warning to anyone contemplating employment in Saudi.
There are some very well run,proffessional operators in Saudi,but there is a growning middle class who are becoming wealthy enough to purchase corporate aircraft. Some of these are being managed by some rather dubious amateurs to whom the normal rules of safety are to be ignored or got around.
Duty times..I have known heavy metal crews to have been on duty 72 hours straight..part91okay...sensible..no.recurrency training not required,up to date Jepps not required,weather and notams..too expensive, use CNN at the hotel.Overloading..if it will fit in...anywhere its Okay..insurance..we have it but no need to comply with its requirements..Fo qualifications..but we are FAA he dosnt need a type..maintenance...but its running okay..
Some of these people are not just on the fringes,one represents a major manufacturer.Just remember there is no oversight in Saudi,so there is no incentive to comply with what most pilots would take for granted.If you try and move to a legitimate operator,sorry you not allowed to take up employment for two years after resigning so if you are going make sure you get it right first time.

Sonic Zepplin
22nd Apr 2004, 18:51
Just picked up a January issue of International Aviation News.

Thumbing through I noticed a big article of the growth of GA in the Middle East and what was expected in the future.

While I can not confirm your comments, if true, it doesn't appear to me that they (A fast growing sector of business aviation) are off on the right foot.

Time will tell, but if foriegners are being treated like this they are obviously not in command of anything.

Pitty the fool.

Al T. Dude
23rd Apr 2004, 15:35
Just remember there is no oversight in Saudi,so there is no incentive to comply with what most pilots would take for granted

Just by virtue of the fact that I have a lot of time in one of these aircraft type that you mention and that I had posted my resume on one of the Job Web Sites, I was contacted for an operation that equates to flying a Liberian, Panama, Bermuda, etc. registered oil tanker- a transport category aircraft registered in another country but operating in Saudi and the middle east.

Is this the type of operation you describe?

Who, or what agency, theoretically does have oversight?

If being flown for hire, under what Certificate and what Aviation Authority?

If one has a contract but is not implemented as agreed is it difficult to "get out of Dodge" quickly and depart Saudi Arabia?

Pilocol
24th Apr 2004, 10:39
Finally somebody is telling the truth ...
I have been trying to get my a## out for the last 2 years.
The first sentence ... you will not be able to work for anybody else for the next 2 years ... Slave tading????
About operation!!! let's don't get on it ... overweight .. major ...Jeppesens .. what is that??? haven't seen an update since we got he plane, ... just get copies from the ground handler.
Maintenance ... hahahaha.... if it is not broken, no need ...
Believe you me it's scary ... if any of you have a job around the area, PLEASE PM me ... HELP... I whant to get out of HELL, very good jet experience, three languages... no Arab...

On another subject...
FAA only in Jeddah and you rarely see them.
The other ones... Panama, Bermuda, Cayman, Aruba, etc... who cares ... there are no reps. Soooo.

I don't think is happening in big companies or the really old ones, but as davidgrant says, all the new comers are the ones puting in danger all the operation.

Keep it safe...

Engineer
25th Apr 2004, 01:18
Come on guys depends on your bargining power.

If you think that the ME is a place for young pussy you will grow up very quickly

mutt
30th May 2004, 10:07
Pilocal,

There is an agreement between the FAA and Saudi Arabia. The FAA send representatives to Jeddah every month. They do conduct ramp checks on "N" registered aircraft and in recent times have closed a number of computer examination schools due to cheating.

If you have any concerns re "N" registered aircraft, pass these concerns to the FAA in New York.

Mutt.