PDA

View Full Version : How to become rich and famous in the City

Bre901
21st Apr 2004, 12:26
the Beeb (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/3564533.stm)

And it is aviation related :
more than 2,000 paid for flying lessons.
No information about the results of said lessons.

AerBabe
21st Apr 2004, 12:29
I do love the way they've picked out the phrase 'Flying lessons' to highlight randomly in the middle of the article. :rolleyes: :D

Pah, you just editted that to make me look silly. :*

angels
21st Apr 2004, 12:29
Yeah, well the partners at Goldman's can afford the odd four million or so.:( :(

I reckon the news reports about this have been distorted.

She spent the money on cream filled doughnuts.....

Hmm, edited after I saw BRE's edit. Flying lessons?She'd need a Herc!!!

Aileron Roll
21st Apr 2004, 12:30
I bet she won't look that happy on sentencing day !

Flopster
21st Apr 2004, 12:37
That was to form yet another addition to her growing stable of top-of-the-range cars, comprising a Saab convertible, a Chrysler Grand Voyager and a Volkswagen Golf.

Ehh, perhaps top-of-the-range in Ulan Bator, but hardly in Blighty me thinks.

Bre901
21st Apr 2004, 12:40
Monsieur (or Mijnheer ?) Flopster

Does this count :De-Laurey spent 175,000 on an Aston Martin

airship
21st Apr 2004, 12:58
Monsier Bre901, the article actually said Stuart Trimmer, prosecuting, said she also bought new cars for relatives and ordered a 175,000 Aston Martin and a 150,000 power boat, neither of which was delivered.
...this may mean that there is still a chance that the afore-mentioned AM and boat dealers are merely waiting for a delivery address. If you can identify the dealers involved, I can assure the safe-keeping of the boat for Ms. De Laurey (this would involve taking it out at weekends to charge the batteries etc.). Here is the delivery address: airship, c/o Port Vauban, 06600 Antibes, France. If you are agreeable, we could swap use of the boat and the car on alternate weekends?! ;)

Bre901
21st Apr 2004, 13:05
Monsieur airship,

seems you are more litterate and have more time on your hands than me.
All I actually read is headlines and picture captions :O

I'd rather have the money than the car & boat, personally.

I have always wondered why these crooks do not retire (and they had enough to) and have a nice life instead of spending it it all on yuppie toys at the (very strong) risk of being caught.

Edited for poor grammar

angels
21st Apr 2004, 13:08
Airship and Bre. Think you'll find she just put a five grand deposit on the Aston Martin.....I believe the deposit on the boat was substantially more.

Flopster
21st Apr 2004, 13:09
It's actually "Hr." but let's not get sucked into petty details. However, my knowledge of Flemmish lackluster but still somewhat better than my French which, in lack of a better word, sucks :rolleyes:

DishMan
21st Apr 2004, 13:16
How to beome Rich + Famous in the City

play with other peoples money 'til it breaks your bank...
(Barings/Leeson????)

OR

Discover an old share certificate that has POSEIDON printed across it :)

I have a couple of share cert's somewhere I bought back in the early 80's....property dealers or something in London...and an Aussie Gold mine company.....Oh how one can be young and foolish! Have no idea whether they're even worth the paper they're printed on. :confused:

airship
21st Apr 2004, 13:19
Mere conjecture on my part M. Bre901. But I echo your thoughts concerning why these people don't just "take the money and run" away to a far-off place (if such places still exist?) and live the rest of their lives in (quiet) appreciation...?! For 4 million, I would probably give such an opportunity serious consideration. But then, my tastes are quite simple...

Angels, now that there are 3 of us thinking along the same lines, is that what they call "Grand Conspiracy"?! :=

Bre901
21st Apr 2004, 13:21
Hr. Flopster

Undskyld

(Just saw your post in the WWII thread)

Grainger
21st Apr 2004, 14:34
Husband Anthony De-Laurey helped launder cash . . . And he looks such a trustworthy chap too :suspect:

Mind you, when you see what he's married too, you can understand why he'd want to go around in disguise :eek:

SLFguy
21st Apr 2004, 16:12
I think you'll find the missing million was spent on Health Farm weekends....

Biggles Flies Undone
21st Apr 2004, 16:15
In that case maybe they can get some of the money refunded!

Noah Zark.
21st Apr 2004, 23:19
Perhaps some of the missing booty went to converting the old C-130 into a two-seater for the flying lessons.
Husband Tone looks like "Spy Vs. Spy" from a certain humourous magazine of many moons ago, if anyone can remember it!