PDA

View Full Version : Survey Cessna Crashes in Nampula

4HolerPoler
21st Apr 2004, 12:15
Wire report just in:

SA men die in Moz plane crash

Maputo - Two South African men were killed when their light aircraft crashed in the northern Mozambican town of Nampula shortly after take-off, the state-run Noticias newspaper said on Wednesday. The twin-engined Cessna 40(?) crashed in the town's main Liberdade Square on Tuesday, shortly after leaving Nampula airport, about 2 000km north of Maputo.

Noticias named the two victims as Andress Adrian and Gary Keet, giving no ages, and added that the cause of the crash was unknown. It said the plane belonged to South African company Furgo Airborne Surveys, recently contracted by the Mozambican government to carry out high precision geological surveys in the north of the country. Noboby else was hurt in the crash. Pictures of the accident printed in the paper showed the aircraft totally destroyed.

Sad news, condolences to the families.

4HP

manamana
21st Apr 2004, 13:03
Very sad news.
Does anyone know the registration of the aircraft?

RIP guys, and condolences to the families.

Gunship
21st Apr 2004, 19:07
:sad: My condolences to the families.

RIP guys. :sad:

bigmanatc
21st Apr 2004, 19:12
Damn...any updates...? those guys were here not so long ago doing survey work....real good bunch.

RIP

Rhodie
21st Apr 2004, 23:28
Sad news..

An 'eye-witness' report said that the guys flew the plane all the way down - turned it away from Nampula hospital.

Aviators to the end.

RIP guys.

R

Deanw
22nd Apr 2004, 08:58
SA men die in Moz plane crash
21/04/2004

Maputo - Two South African men were killed when their light aircraft crashed in the northern Mozambican town of Nampula shortly after take-off, the state-run Noticias newspaper said on Wednesday.

The twin-engined Cessna 40 crashed in the town's main Liberdade Square on Tuesday, shortly after leaving Nampula airport, about 2 000km north of Maputo.

The two victims have been identitied as Andries van der Walt and Gary Keet.

The report added that the cause of the crash was unknown.

It said the plane belonged to South African company Furgo Airborne Surveys, recently contracted by the Mozambican government to carry out high precision geological surveys in the north of the country.

Noboby else was hurt in the crash.

Pictures of the accident printed in the paper showed the aircraft totally destroyed.
---------------------

The aircraft has been reported as Ce404 ZS-NVD (c/n 404-0667).

Deanw

22nd Apr 2004, 10:22
Too sad!

God, how lucky I've been!

172-Captain
26th Apr 2004, 09:40
It was a lovely aircraft (ZS-NVD). Apparently the aircraft experienced double engine failure. Fuel selectors were found in the off position, there was no explosion. Speculative cause is wrong fuel type loaded??

Apparently the aircraft had almost full fuel. C404 thats excess of 1500lbs of fuel.

Very Sad. Condolences to the families.

Cheers
MB

freightboss
26th Apr 2004, 12:47
The fact that the fuel cocks were found in the OFF position does not mean much. Well OK, it could be one of two things.

1. The pilot completed his final checks (one of which is : Fuel cocks OFF) for an emergency landing.

2. The other one, I would rather not think about.

Until such time that I am proven wrong, he got his checks done before impact ....

172-Captain
27th Apr 2004, 09:40
Apologies. I was trying to imply that the pilot probably intentionally turned them off to prevent explosion.

The 404 has a very simple fuel system. Inadvertant placement of the fuel selectors in the off position is incredibly unlikely. Once in the off psotion the engines wouldn't last long at all. Certainly not even long enough to taxi.

RUDAS
27th Apr 2004, 10:56
i'd like to add my condolences too.very sad.i saw pictures of the wreck and it really didnt look pretty.seems they turned at the very last instant to avoid a crowd.

very brave souls.