View Full Version : hmmm nice work if u can get it

jote
21st Apr 2004, 12:01
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/image_feature_163.html

Anybody here doing this kind of work? Please let me know when a vacancy arises. :ok:

Lu Zuckerman
21st Apr 2004, 18:22
This has already been done using specially equipped C-130s and I believe a similarly equipped C-119 or C-123. They were retrieving film canisters dropped from USAF spy satellites. Douglas aircraft for similar purposes proposed using a helicopter or a helicopter device. They eventually dropped the program. Regarding the present program as illustrated in the photo I can envision the captured parachute wrapping itself around the helicopter or the tail rotor or the main rotor. Maybe that is why NASA is using helicopter stunt pilots.

:E :E

wishtobeflying
21st Apr 2004, 23:36
Yes, I thought the length of that probe/hook pickup looks a little short for comfort. I know if I was trying catch many square metres of flapping silk, I'd want it a little further away from the whirly bits.

SLC.

Robbo Jock
22nd Apr 2004, 14:16
Why not just wait for it to hit the deck, then pick it up ?

The original article/picture wasn't posted on the 1st was it ?

autosync
22nd Apr 2004, 18:38
Lu,

Why don't the just use skydiver's to jump out catch it and bring it safely back to earth?
Surely the chances of success are greater and less dangerous?

John Eacott
6th May 2004, 11:16
It must be a quiet news day, since one of our bulletins had a segment on this tonight :rolleyes: Apart from the "Hollywood stunt pilot" :yuk: , it was fairly informative, answering most of the questions raised here.

It requires to be captured airborne, since the package may not survive a parachute landing: with $$millions invested, this is a one off capture, apparently.

The hook arrangement shown in the photo is only part of the system: as the hook engages the parachute, it disconnects from the boom, and the hook then falls away on a line attached to the helicopter (probably the cargo hook strong point?). Thus, the captured parachute & payload remains suspended some 100 - 150ft below the Squirrel, to be returned "gently" to earth.

Interesting, although being a news report, not necessarily accurate. According to the same report, the Squirrel climbed to 17,000ft (yes, FL170!!) to drop a practice payload, then chased it all the way down to recapture it. :confused: :confused: :rolleyes: