PDA

View Full Version : Strange houses in soap operas

tony draper
21st Apr 2004, 10:27
Just noticed something, was visiting someone last evening and they had Emerdale Farm thingy soap opera on.
Actually tiz another wideranging thread that covers everything from the merits of various batteries, light bulbs, the return of the thermionic valves, exploding electrical storage devices, pocket calculators and that invention stealing buggah Thomas Edison,but it was a discussion on back passages that made one think of this
This soap opera purports to be situated somewhere on the north yorkshire moors, and from personel experience one can tell you this is a nippy location at the best of times,
Yet! all the front doors on all the houses seem to open direct on to the feckin moors, now one has noticed in ones travells that most house are equiped with a kind of air lock,ie there is another door betwixt the actual front door and the true inside of the house thus affording some protection from the icy blast of the outside world,
or is this just something that is the protocol for house builders only Tyneside?
The bit betwixt the first door and the real front door is always called the front passage here for some strange reason, and the inner door is always known as the Glass door for another mysterious reason even if it is made completely out of wood.
:rolleyes:

Biggles Flies Undone
21st Apr 2004, 10:34
Tony - be careful about discussing 'back passages' - always bear the HLR in mind ;)

The outside shots for Emmerdale are shot near Otley in West Yorkshire (just across the road from Harry Ramsdens). I went into the Woolpack for a pint when I was up that way a few years ago - the interior is totally different. Apparently the filmed interior is a set inside an old cinema. Huh - next they'll be telling me that the Queen Vic 'aint real either.....

topcat450
21st Apr 2004, 10:34
or is this just something that is the protocol for house builders only Tyneside
Yup, got it in one, it all comes down to Geordies generally being quiet wimpish, and folks from Yorkshire being made of sterner stuff. :)

I'm now going to take cover & see if anyone bites

tony draper
21st Apr 2004, 11:03
Well I am reliably informed that you lot have a outer layer of wool on yer backs.

Actually it was front passage one meant, must have been one of they freudian slip thingies.
:uhoh:

Slim20
21st Apr 2004, 11:18
Why is it in the current vogue for house redecorating, we never see our favourite soap characters repainting, wallpapering, turfing out the visitors "cos we're 'avin the barfroom dan, innit"?

And I swear no-one in EastEnders (yes its them I'm slagging) has ever had an extension or loft conversion done, and yet every time a "long-lost" character (usually a brother or sister or dad or whatever) we have to believe they grew up in the same house as their other brothers and sisters even though it's still the same pokey two-up two-down with the same [email protected] decor?

And they never watch telly! A bunch of feckless ill-educated louts like that and they only listen to the radio? And it's not even Capital FM!

(pause for breath) I mean, what!

tony draper
21st Apr 2004, 11:23
They never seem to go to the bog either, this is understandable in in a series based in Yorkshire of course, as those scenes would require a outside broadcast unit.

Slim20
21st Apr 2004, 11:24
Maybe thats where the extra bedroom goes then innit!:confused:

Jerricho
21st Apr 2004, 11:41
Come on.......every Aussie can tell you that Home and Away as well as those dwellers of Ramsay Street are true depictions of life in Australian suburbia.

Kind of like Jerry Springer is a true representation of life in the States ;)

Biggles Flies Undone
21st Apr 2004, 11:50
He is, isn't he?

Boss Raptor
21st Apr 2004, 12:10
Dont ever remember seeing a bedroom in a 'Neighbours' house?

timmcat
21st Apr 2004, 13:21
BFU.. your info is a few years out of date. Up until about 5 years ago, the village of Esholt, twixt Shipley and Guiseley (north of Bradford) was used for the external village shots. This included the Woolpack (although originally known as The Commercial Inn - signs changed when the film crew arrived), Post Office, etc. Subsequently, the village was 'recreated' in the grounds of the Harewood Estate, north of Leeds. This area is not accessible to the public. The interior shots are now taken in the YTV studios in Leeds. Seem to recall that the replica village was built on the condition that it would be demolished after an agreed period (10 years rings a bell). Stand by for yet another apocolyptic plot.

(Drapes, wasnt Shipley where you once got well and truly lost?).

angels
21st Apr 2004, 13:36
I am about to embark on classic thread drift.

If you harken upon an old episode of Minder, take note that the entrance to the Winchester Club was actually the entrance to my mate's basement flat.

He used to be put up in an hotel for three or four weeks a year while they filmed the exterior shots (and he was paid for this inconvenience) -- of course the actual interior bar was a studio.

The steps to the Winchester Club are in Notting Hill.

MMEMatty
21st Apr 2004, 17:34
As for neighbours (yes i know, but i am a student) everyone leaves the door open. Not unlocked, wide open, whenever they go into someone elses house! crime rate in ramsey street must be through the roof!

Matty

(p.s. perhaps some aussies could confirm - is (the actor that plays) Karl Kennedy really going out with (the actress that plays) Libby? and is (the actress that plays) Susan Kennedy really a gay Icon? MB)