PDA

View Full Version : scratchy uncomfortable labels inside clothing

TheStormyPetrel
21st Apr 2004, 00:29
I hate labels inside clothing. They are uncomfortable and typically rough on the skin. The edges of the labels seem to be the worst.

I cut them off, and have considered sending them back to the manufacturers with a suggestion that they make soft and comfy ones, specially if they like them being displayed on their clothing, but then I wondered if I'm the only one who finds them scratchy and uncomfortable. Maybe I have sensitive skin.

Anyone else have an issue with labels?

very odd - I tried to post this, and it told me it had failed. So I re-wrote it and posted it again, and both were listed. Obviously then I deleted one, but how odd.

Jerricho
21st Apr 2004, 00:31
I think some people have such an issue with them they are prepared to start more than one thread about how much they dislike them ;)

Rich Lee
21st Apr 2004, 00:32
Sometimes, if your dad was ever in the Army or is Swiss, he thinks giving you bomb shelter food is a good, safe thing to do. It comes in handy when you spend all your rent money on flying lessons or smack, but you feel weird. You're like "What has my life become?" as you add very old distilled water from green cans to the instant meatloaf. Well, during moments like that I want to tear the labels off every article of clothing I own....not in rage, or out of curiosity; but just because it takes time for the meat to rehydrate and I have nothing better to do. So in answer to your question, no, I do not hate the labels.

TheStormyPetrel
21st Apr 2004, 00:35
Jerricho you are quick!! The explanation is added as an edit (done before I saw your post)

Rich - you think I should delete this thread, right?

redsnail
21st Apr 2004, 01:06
Stormy,
I know exactly what you mean. Usually a few washes sorts them out but some labels appear to be made from some indestructable material. You know that stuff is probably used to clad supersonic fighters or something.
:ok:

spork
21st Apr 2004, 01:10
I have to agree that some of these labels are ludicrously sharp edged and scratchy. I sometimes trim the corners off to get rid of the problem. What amuses me is the labels that are attached to the more skimpy items of ladies' wear. Often the label has more material in it than the item itself, and ruins the look of it.

Label thread or battery thread? Mmm...

Jerricho
21st Apr 2004, 01:49
Sorry Stormy.................. Sometimes I just can't help myself.

(Or, perhaps I was trying to beat Onan to the jump)

Onan the Clumsy
21st Apr 2004, 01:50
Spork You mean thongs? :}

Hanes had an advertising campaign on this very issue - that the labels were (i) soft and (ii) sewn in

Rich Lee
21st Apr 2004, 02:18
TheStormyPetrel
Delete the thread? No way my friend, not only am I a true believer in the "Free Thread" theory of forums, I find this topic particularly fascinating. Post On!

TheStormyPetrel
21st Apr 2004, 02:31
Jerricho - np :ok: - and you did beat Onan!!

Rich - I find this topic particularly fascinating and of course I believe you ;)

Redsnail and Spork - so glad I'm not alone in this! I find if I just take off the corners or edges, the worst is gone, but what's left is still annoying. In fact, after I think I've taken most of it, sometimes the small line of label left along the sewing line is still really annoying!! And I agree with the big label on small item or strappy part of item complaint too. Brainless thing to do!

Onan, are you serious about the soft and sewn in part of your post? Sounds like the message is filtering through, if that's for real.

flapsforty
21st Apr 2004, 07:24
Stormy, it's not only you and Reddo. Similarly afflicted here. :sad:
I even take garments apart to get rid of the dreaded small line of label left . :8 (yes, I do sew them back together afterwards) Have also ruined a number of uniform shirts because of the impossibility to cleanly remove the 3 scratchy labels put in by the factory that makes the miserable rags.
I also have a friend who hates scratchy labels so much that he wears all his underwear and most of his T-shirts inside out. :ooh:

And as far as brainless is concerned; brainless is walking around sctratching at your skin like a dog with scabs. Removing the labels is taking positive action! ;)

Never mind Mr Lee's ribbing; he's seems to have taken up a rôle as Chider here on JB. Each to his/her own no?

chuks
21st Apr 2004, 07:54
I used to wear the cheapest pilot shirts available, due to severe poverty. They used glue rather than thread to hold the labels in. When the labels fell off at the laundromat then two lines of scratchy glue remained, impossible to remove.

And now that I am relatively flush, I buy new garments even before I have completely worn out the old ones. In an attempt to placate my stern domestic goddess I went off, pre-holidays, to purchase some top-of-the-range 'Schiesser' boxer shorts, not noticing this little label sewn in right where it would meet the small of one's back....

That little label was made of some space-age material, amazingly sharp-edged and totally resistant to wearing in. I finally had to hide in the bathroom of the hotel with my wife's nail scissors, cutting each one of those labels out of my new shorts before they drove me crazy with their scratching. Who thinks up this sort of thing, anyway?

tony draper
21st Apr 2004, 07:59
They are a necessary evil, otherwise folks from Sunderland would be putting their shirts on inside out all the time.

:rolleyes:

IB4138
21st Apr 2004, 08:20
Some firms think it funny to weave their names on labels with a thread akin to steel wool/pan scourers......
and the labels are getting longer ( I've just bought a shoirt with two labels in the side, each 10cm long.... as they now must contain a government health warning about... err Labels!:sad:

DishMan
21st Apr 2004, 08:21
:ok: Stormy

I always run my finger over a label before donning a new shirt....especially one I wear a tie with. Just hate spending all day puting finger down collar to assuage the scratch!

DM kids are also averse to any type of "scratchy thingy one the neck"! Many a label has been cut out for them!

Gainesy
21st Apr 2004, 08:39
Also cut them out, bloody annoying things.

tony draper
21st Apr 2004, 09:09
Those long numbers on the back of Australian shirts must have drove em crazy.
:rolleyes:

Grainger
21st Apr 2004, 09:11
Scratchy labels are bad enough . . .

. . . but for real nuisance factor - does anybody wanna talk socks ?

Why oh why do they insist on sewing a seam right across the end of your toes ? Always have to wear the damn things inside out. :mad:

DishMan
21st Apr 2004, 09:19
Gainsey
You're not alone!

Remember the film Finding Forrester with Sean Connery actingt he part of William Forrester a recluse writer.

He had a whole speech in the film about how he turned his socks inside out 'cos they were designed stupidly!

I sometimes reverse ones that have paricularly large seams.

Rollingthunder
21st Apr 2004, 09:23
If any of the ladies wear stockings, always turn one inside out. Then rub your legs together to prove the benefit.

Don't ask.

tony draper
21st Apr 2004, 09:40
Don't care if ladies wear stockings inside out or not,as long as they wears em.
:E

Jelly Baby Freak
21st Apr 2004, 10:34
Ah, I am not alone on this one!
Mrs JBF can't understand why I have to take
labels out of underwear, shirts etc.
The reason is that I am allergic to man-made fibres.
So, I buy cotton clothing to wear, and guess what?
Yep, they sew bl*@dy nylon lables into the clothing,
and probably use any other man-made thread to sew them in with.
Solution - cut out label and unpick sewing,
then wash before wearing, because they seem to use
chemicals that are irritating to the skin too! :uhoh:

spork
21st Apr 2004, 10:42
Spork You mean thongs?Not especially. It just seems a shame that the designer of some beautiful garments, colour-matched lacy items in particular, has them ruined by the addition of a good square inch or more of oblong white label.And now that I am relatively flush, I buy new garments even before I have completely worn out the old onesCor! I remember those days! About three redundancies ago. Them were the days them were!I always run my finger over a label before donning a new shirt....especially one I wear a tie with. Just hate spending all day puting finger down collar to assuage the scratch!I'm quite interested in body language. An item I came across years ago mentioned that a man constantly putting his finger down his shirt collar is probably lying and can't be trusted. Something to think about for job interviews!

Biggles Flies Undone
21st Apr 2004, 10:46
It's important that blondes never remove the labels from their knickers. So long as they buy them from C&A they'll never put them on back to front ;)

lasernigel
21st Apr 2004, 10:51
Maybe that explains why blondes wiggle their arses more than brunettes,it's just an itchy,scratchy label.

a is dum
21st Apr 2004, 11:01
MAnufacturer of my running gear sticks the labels of the vests under the armpit (sleeveless vests).
GUARANTEED to leave a red rubbing mark within a few KMs.
Is that what is meant with their slogan "manufactured with the advantage of experience"??? :yuk: :yuk:

spork
21st Apr 2004, 11:04
Twice now I've thought about adding the C&A comment. And resisted. I had a feeling it was waiting in the wings.

Well done BFU - I've missed that joke. :) Nice to see it back. :)

Biggles Flies Undone
21st Apr 2004, 11:17
Yeah, well, ever since Carn did his dummy-spit I've had this overwhelming urge to get corny and predictable.....:p

Bre901
21st Apr 2004, 11:27
I recently purchased some Hanes tee-shirts in the US and noticed that the labels are printed inside the garment rather than sewn (they even advertise it on the packaging)

I'll have to think to put on one of these next time I have an interview. ;)

Kolibear
21st Apr 2004, 12:50
According to Mrs K, who knows all about threads and things, labels are sewn in with nylon thread as opposed to cotton thread & its the stiiff ends of these which are all scratchy.

But also, a lot of labels are heat-sealed at their ends to prevent fraying and its is these which cause the most irritation.

redsnail
21st Apr 2004, 14:22
Scratchy labels are there for the amusement of others and the torture of the wearer.
Imagine this scene. New g-string (thong to some of you), new bra and a new top. Imagine the contortions you'll perform whilst strolling down the road. You'll reduce prepubescent schoolkids into fits of giggles, likely to cause a pile up or two and definitely attract unwanted attention from the police as they radio in about a possible nutter that's escaped. Not a good look. Esp at an interview. I suppose you'll be remembered. Could be a good thing then. ;)
Now, the said same contortions are likely to win a place, if not first, at the local dance competition in some seedy night club that I would know nothing about. :E