PDA

View Full Version : Paying for Initial Class 1

radarcontrol
20th Apr 2004, 22:37
Hi all

Quick Q - Do you pay for the initial CAA Class 1 Medical over the phone at the time of booking, or when you actually get to gatwick?

Interested as if I can put off the payment it would help cash flow at the moment..but I'd like to get it booked nonetheless.

Cheers!

RC

redsnail
20th Apr 2004, 23:13
I thought I paid for it when I booked over the phone (from Australia). Apparently, the currency conversion took a hit and my cc bounced. I paid on the day with no trouble. I would speak to the medical branch about it, they are quite reasonable.

-<M4v3r1ck>-
20th Apr 2004, 23:35
Hello,

New policy is to only accepy payment over the phone at the time of booking. That's what I was told a few weeks ago anyway.

Mav :ok:

rmcfarlane
24th Apr 2004, 15:14
When I booked mine I was unaware that i would have to pay in advance, so I said I would call them back a few days later with a CC, I explained that it was good old mum who was paying and she was on a business trip at the time.

They were fnie about that, but said that it would have to paid for in advance. They kept the booking for me, I paid about a week before the examination and everyone was happy.

They are really nice down there, and happy to help.

Good luck

egbb_2004
25th Apr 2004, 09:25
Four hundred and twenty two punds though!! It's more than £200 more than the same thing in Spain! I can't see how the CAA can justify charging so much!

radarcontrol
25th Apr 2004, 09:36
I'm considering just getting a Class 2 for now, until I actually need a Class 1.... I would save over £300 ... thats 3 hours of flying.

RC

IRISHPILOT
30th Apr 2004, 03:45
That's a first! Any other CAAs take the money for the initial on the day:

Czech: 120 pounds,

German: 120 pounds (though this was a year ago, and he threw an FAA class one in),

Irish: somewhere around 350 pounds,

Spanish: 225 pounds.

With the exception of Spain, you do not have to wait longer than a week. - I stand to be corrected on any of this.

IP