PDA

View Full Version : looking for the light

Adie101
20th Apr 2004, 09:48
I have just finished reading alot of posts about there being no work for low hour pilots. I am feeling pretty bad and I have not even started my training yet. I am having second thoughts about spending such a large amount of money only to find at the end I am standing in the dole Q, with a huge debt around my kneck. Is it really as bad as it looks, is it sure to get better in a few years?

If I were to go for frieght work what sort of wage could I be looking at. Also if I were to get both my JAA and FAA are there better options to work in Asia etc to build up hours.

I can't understand why the hell I it costs on average of 45000 to then fine the path to a secure income gets so narrow. This to me sounds like a complete upside down process. I could accept it if the entry costs weren't so high. Anyway if anyone could give me some answers to any of my previous questions I would be really greatful. Like I said i am still having trouble accepting the situation.

and good luck to all those that are trying to find work after spending so much time and money.

Adie:O

tom24
20th Apr 2004, 10:24
It sounds as though cash is your primary concern. Let’s face it, cash is important, but most importantly you need to have the desire to succeed. Do you want it really badly? That's a serious question you need to ask yourself. Yes, financially it may well be something of a struggle initially, however, if you stick at it I’m sure things will eventually fall into place.

I really do think employment wise things are pretty bad. But then again I don't think they're ever 'good'. The key is to make yourself the best candidate and hope for an opening somewhere along the line.

Good luck pal

Adie101
20th Apr 2004, 10:35
Thanks Tom

Like I say I am just at the beginings of looking into it, The problem I have as so many others, I am 29 now and so already seams to be a bit behind the rest. I don't have a trade as such, so do I go for the CPL etc or do I try to let it go and find myself a job that a know won't give me real enjoyment but will give me some security in the short term. If it wasn't for the job market looking so bad, that is going of others posts as I am not in a position to apply for pilot jobs, then I would have no problems in gatteing started, but since reading the situation of some guys claiming bankruputcy as they can't find a piloting job to pay off the loan, Although I supose you can always get another job to pay off if you can't get a piloting work.

Tom do you know what the wages are like in freight for low hour pilots or work in Asia etc.

Thanks for replying

Adie

tom24
20th Apr 2004, 11:17
Adie

I am not in the know about things in the Far East. Have a look at ppjn.com There may be some information there for Asia etc.

There are so many factors that need to be taken into account when deciding whether one should take the plunge and go for it, however, ask yourself will you forever be wondering what could have been....?

You're no Spring-Chicken, but i've heard of guys a good 10 years older than yourself get the break. However, do be realistic when you go in and realise that it will take time to get there.

Good luck again and only you can make that final choice.

dreamingA380
20th Apr 2004, 11:19
Hi Adie,

Check www.ppjn.com a great website with plenty of wages data that you ask.

As for your age, I know plenty of guys who are older. There is a ceiling of course and they expect experience to commensurate with age but you are hardly over the hill.

I do agree with tom, it’s not about finances as it is tough and can take a while to get the first airline job.

Perhaps you would be better off minimising your risk and keeping the day job for as long as possible and working towards the modular route? Then perhaps some part time instructing to build the hours with a view to leap onto a turbine job as and when one appears.

I remember my old PPL instructor telling me it takes 4-5 years from jacking in your old job to getting the first airline job. I can remember thinking that I could do it a lot sooner, but in fact I gave up my engineering job in 1999 so I must be due that position soon!.

Anyway whatever you decide....good luck and keep the faith!

Arrowhead
20th Apr 2004, 13:12
Adie

First Officer rates seem to be about £20k-£35k depending on where you end up and what you end up on. Captains rates seem to be about £50k-£110k.

Assume you will spend >£20k on CPL/ME/IR even if you do most of it in the US. Then consider you may have to spend another £5k to become an instructor. Then assume you will be bonded or have to pay another £15-20k for a type rating.

The reason so many people do this is because life is not a dress rehearsal. If you dream about flying when you go to bed, you just have to give it a try... whatever the odds... and if you dont get a job, you can at least say that you gave it a try.

Adie101
20th Apr 2004, 13:42
Thanks alot for all the information, I will check out the web site. At the moment I don't have a day job, but that is the choice day job or pilot journey.

Ok once again thanks for your help I will keep an eye on all the posts. Dreaming have you been employed as I pilot since becoming qualified?

dreamingA380
20th Apr 2004, 15:13
I'm a part time flying instructor with 1100 hours, IR and MCC .... sending my CV to everyone and waiting for that phone call!

good luck mate with whatever you decide.
A380

onthebuses
20th Apr 2004, 20:42
Adie,

AH was spot on with this;
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The reason so many people do this is because life is not a dress rehearsal. If you dream about flying when you go to bed, you just have to give it a try... whatever the odds... and if you dont get a job, you can at least say that you gave it a try.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very true words..

I am 33 this year and after about 15 years of I.T then bus driving I'm finally off to Gatwick soon for my C1, then I plan to go modular. I too found it diffcult to convince myself that I am doing the right thing, but I just can't ignore this need to start flying anymore. You are either a flyer or not, and if you are a flyer then trust me that you will kick yourself for not giving it a go in years to come, when it WILL be too late.

Best wishes and best of luck with whatever you decide is best for you.

OTB:ok: