PDA

View Full Version : Air Mandalay - Experience Anyone

Morrissey
19th Apr 2004, 21:26
Flying Chiang Mai - Manadalay - Bagan - Yangon with Air Mandalay next month, wondered if anyone had any experience of flying with them. Hotel recommendations also greatfully received.

Thanks

Stickies
20th Apr 2004, 07:53
Morrisey

My wife ( a hard to please person when it comes to air travel!) and I flew on Air Mandalay from Yangon to Mandalay via Bagan and back via Heho a few years ago,around 2000 I think, and we both thought they were very good, modern equipment (ATR72) with the crews trained in France and friendly cabin crew. As I remember the aircraft were on the French register.Anyhow, they were light years ahead of the government run airline(Myanmar Airlines).
I do not know how you intend to buy the tickets but we went to a travel agent in Yangon and paid considerably less than the advertised lowest fare,even though the full fare was written on our tickets,all this whilst being treated to tea and bikkies!
As for hotels in Yangon,we stayed at the Inya Lake hotel,fairly close to the Shwe Dagon pagoda and not too far from the city centre. If you really want to splash out you could always try the Strand hotel,a little like Raffles in Singapore.If you intend staying in Mandalay I highly recommend the Sedona Hotel,one of the nicest I have stayed in.
If you wish to know any more drop me a PM.
Enjoy