PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Airways Jhb to Athens

Mike Blackburn
19th Apr 2004, 20:26
Was wondering if anyone knows why Olympic Airways has suddenly started stopping over in Nairobi on their Johannesburg to Athens flights? Is this part of a cost limiting exercise (we are flying over Nairobi anyway, why not stop and pick up/drop off a few more pax?) or is the Airbus they are using, which I believe is an A340-200 not capable of flying non-stop to Athens from JNB? (I know, highly unlikely reason!!)

I have close relatives who were booked on this flight, whihc was initailly advertised as a non-stop. When they asked why they were stopping over in Nairobi, they were told it was for refueling, since the aircraft was not "as big" as the one usually used. However, they were seated in seat 31K (which sounds like wide-body to me). Full marks to Olympic though for contacting all their passengers to tell them that the flight was leaving JNB 2 hours early to compensate for the stop.

Any ideAS?

chobecat
20th Apr 2004, 12:21
Hi Mike

Was in jo' burg last Friday, on my way back to DXB, and I noticed Olympic were using an A300. You're right, normally they use an A340-200

cheers,

southern25
24th Oct 2004, 11:08
olympic airways currently operates 4 A340-3OO not 200

Paul Wilson
27th Oct 2004, 10:33
Before the A340's came they used an A300 on this route, stop in Nairobi was a "splash and dash", less than 10 people on/off, and an interesting look at the AK toting army through the doors. No one else was allowed off the aircraft.

Coming back from JHB 1 hour into flight they ran out of all alcohol except for Metaxa...... that was my last flight with Olympic