PDA

View Full Version : same product, different name

dingducky
2nd Dec 2001, 06:56
i was have been informed that what we here call hokey pokey is called cinder toffee in in northern england and honeycomb just about everywhere else.
why oh why :confused:
isn't the world confusing enough as it is? :confused: :confused:

OzExpat
2nd Dec 2001, 11:37
Ahhhh ding ... a rose by any other name... ;)

tony draper
2nd Dec 2001, 15:52
Ah! cinder toffee, never seen that for years,
nor ordinary proper toffee for that matter.
It is possible to buy various chocolate bars that claim to have cinder toffee inside,but this is a poor imitation of the real thing.
Draper recalls when corner shops had shelves all about them, with Jars of various delights such as Bulls Eyes, Gob Stoppers Black Bullets and such , and toffee was hacked from a flag stone sized bar by the shopkeeper with a tiny hammer, placed in a small triangular shaped white paper bag and weighed, spun over the shopkeeprs hand with a florish, sealed and exchanged for ones brass thrupenny bit.
Whatever happened to Spangles?. ;)

dingducky
2nd Dec 2001, 17:07
surfing around the net and i find yet another name! :rolleyes:

Hokey Pokey

This is a favorite Kiwi recipe for a delicious sweet treat. In the U.S. we call it peanut brittle as we add about a cups worth of raw peanuts when the baking soda is added. You can try that as well but in New Zealand we like it just fine without the peanuts, thank you.

5 TBS sugar
2 TBS golden syrup (or corn syrup, although it won't be true hokey pokey... look in specialty shops for real golden syrup)
1 tsp baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
Bring sugar and golden syrup to the boil slowly in a large heavey saucepan, stirring all the time as it will burn easily. After it starts to foam up, simmer gently over a very low heat for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally and still watching it carefully. Remove from heat and add baking soda quickly until it foams up and pour at once into a greased pan or onto a piece of aluminium foil with the edges turned up.

Break it into bits when cold and store in air-tight jars. Be sure to save all the crumbles so that you can top your ice cream with them to make Hokey Pokey Ice-cream.

Kaptin M
2nd Dec 2001, 17:46
Does this topic bear any resemblance to this one? http://www.pprune.org/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=005497

Hokey pokey...and THAT'S what it's all about (with the correct rythmn)...

widgeon
2nd Dec 2001, 20:55
Reminds me of one of my Favourite Jeremy Taylor songs which has the now non PC chorus of :-
Popcorn, chewing gum, peanuts an' bubble gum
Ice cream, candy floss an' Eskimo Pie
Ag Deddy how we miss
****** balls an' licorice
Pepsi Cola, ginger beer
and Canada Dry

PAXboy
2nd Dec 2001, 21:15
Ag Pleeze Daddy wont you tak us t' the drraav' in?

It is difficult to think of a way to spell the slang South African of this song from the early 1970s! And in some 40 hours time, I shall be back in that fair land once again.

[ 02 December 2001: Message edited by: PAXboy ]